PDA

View Full Version : First round of casting

NY_Treeguy
09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Cast my first batch of bullets this past Saturday, after accumulation the needed materials and equipment over the past 6 months. Ended up casting about 100 with a Lee 312-185...that is after re-melting the first 50 or so. Took a while to get the mold warmed up and to get a feel for just how much to pour, how long to cool, etc. If it wasn't for this site I am not sure I would have tried or that things would have come out as well. Thanks to everyone here.

And the result:

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii389/schembari3/Reloading/FirstCast1.jpg (http://s549.photobucket.com/user/schembari3/media/Reloading/FirstCast1.jpg.html)

62chevy
09-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Looks good now you need to lube, load and shoot 'em.

Rifle boolits took three times of nasties then the fourth I added 2% tin and got some nice boolits.

Kimber bob
09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Lee tumble lube, pan lube, lubersizer, or just take the first few and lube them by hand..... have fun and great job, yes this forum is great for filling in the blanks

edadmartin
09-16-2014, 02:29 PM
I've just cast my first 50, 45 acp 200 grain lrnfp. I stood in front of the lee pot not knowing what to expect. All the advise ,technique, dos and donts learned from 6 months on this great forum.I was intimidated to say the least. I was told to not expect good bollits the first few times until the mold was hot so I dumped them in the spru pile. It got easier and the mold warmed up nicely after hitting it with a propane tourch to heat the spru plate and much to my suprize I was casting mostly shoot able boolts. I went back after the session was over and looked at the first rejects and man they to were filled out with no real problems. Hey this is fun. Ive loaded them up and will shoot them all next time out.
One thing I remembered from fortunecookie 45lc was " everything is hot all the time" I only burned my self 3 times, nothing bad , just enough to wake me up and remember !!!
I had bought a Lee production 10lb pot and hated it right off. Its opening is to small to use a big spoon to clear dross, and that adjustable screw thing ? whats that all about? and with no posts there isnt an easy way to have a mold guide. I bought a Lee 4-20 and resold my brand new production pot in 2 days. I took a 10 dollar hit, but love the new setup. I found a 1000 degree thermometer on fleabay for half what lyman wants, I tested it in boiling water and compared it to my kitchen thermometer boiling point and it was off by 20 degrees( mental note). I cast out side but see winter coming so Im building a small metal topped bench and will hookup a 3" bilge blower to the outside wall to rid fumes , so I can cast in the garage when it snows. thanks to all who answered my endless questions.

NY_Treeguy
09-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Lee tumble lube, pan lube, lubersizer, or just take the first few and lube them by hand..... have fun and great job, yes this forum is great for filling in the blanks

Already tumble lubed, and loaded up 10. Hopefully can find some this weekend and se how they do.

35 shooter
09-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Wow! Good lookin boolit in the pic. Looks like you nailed everything right off the bat. Now to go shoot em so you can make some more.:D