PDA

View Full Version : Cheddite hulls and/or primers?

Bob Krack
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Can any of ya'll comment on the "Cheddite" hulls and or primers? I understand Wolf uses them which makes me a little concerned about being able to reload them.

I found what I considered a terrific deal on a few hundred or I would not care much.

I shoot mostly slugs and #0 shot in 12 ga Mossberg and 870

Thanks,
Vic

Old Ironsights
02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
The CHeddite .410 hulls seem to be decent hulls.

They won't work well in a Win9410, (tube-feed issues) but work great in anything else I've tried.

Blammer
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
cheddite have worked well for me in 20ga.

Bullshop Junior
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I have the Lyman shot shell load book. It says that they are good, and that they used them in all Gauge's.
Daniel/BS Jr.

northmn
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
If you roll crimp your slugs, Cheddite roll crimp very well. They also do well with star crimps. I use a lot of cheddite for my 16 gauge and like them as they have more capacity than many others. As with any case you have to get appropriate data for that particular combination.

Northmn

Johnch
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I use a lot of Cheddite 12 , 20 and 28 gau hulls
The Cheddite primer is a few thousands larger in Dia than the standard 209 , so sometimes our 209's don't fit real tight
I made a punch out of a piece of drill rod to slightly peen the primer pocket
Other guys I know , use a old drill bit

You want the punch to slightly compress the metal of the base

I load the Wolf / Cheddite hulls for steel shot loads
They work great

John

biggome
02-03-2008, 02:25 AM
The Cheddite primers are a little on the mild side. I have used them in 20 ga. with some rather fast for the application powder without any trouble though I have had a "pooper" or two when using them in heavy 3" .410 loads with slower WC-820 ball powder in cold weather though I still use them anyway.

Paul

Bob Krack
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
You want the punch to slightly compress the metal of the base
John

John,

Are you saying to insert the punch into the shell and strike lightly on the flash hole or nearby? Guess I better go out to the shed and look at a shell to see if I can figure out what you mean.

Thanks, I would never have guessed that the primer pocket was larger until I actually fired and tried to reload one!

Vic

Johnch
02-03-2008, 05:26 PM
John,

Are you saying to insert the punch into the shell and strike lightly on the flash hole or nearby? Guess I better go out to the shed and look at a shell to see if I can figure out what you mean.

Vic

As I said these needs to be done on some lot's of hulls and not others
If you get good ( normal ) resistance when you seat the new primer you don't have to mess around

With the hull resting on a solid surface ( I use my 6" bench vice)
I insert the punch into a deprimed hull
Centering the punch over the primer pocket
I deliver a firm hit on the punch
No need to beat on the punch , but not a love tap

I took a piece of 3/8 drill rod and turned a short tit on the end to center in the primer hole
Here is a pic from the $14 tool Precision Reloading sells as a Shotshell Primer Pocket Correction Tool

http://www.precisionreloading.com/_borders/Mm1816.jpg

But I figured I could just make one for next to nothing
I plan on cutting a new one someday , with the "tit" being a few thousands smaller than a normal 209 primer
But the one I have works , so till I lose it or have a LOT of free time
I will just keep using it

Any questions just ask me

John

Bob Krack
02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank ya John and all!

I'm seeing a little more "art" along with the "science" of reloading different cartridges.

I consider myself a very resourceful person but would not have thought of "peening" the primer pocket to tighten it up, and the "tit" or guide takes care of my initial worry about deforming/partially closing the flash hole.

I also read somewhere that various primers have minor differences in diameter, is that the case or is my memory failing me?

Thanks again,

Vic

Johnch
02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I also read somewhere that various primers have minor differences in diameter, is that the case or is my memory failing me?

Vic
Years ago you were correct

All current manufactured US 209 primers are all , allmost perfictly the same size

A few primers made in Eourpe are a few thou. larger
I have checked and found Rio , Cheddite and Noble to be slightly larger
RWS , Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot all checked out to be the same size as the US made primers
At least the samples I checked or have on hand

I have not had a chance to check out Wolf , PMC or Magtec 209 primers

Also even if you slightly closed the primer pocket
When you primed the case , the new primer would reopen the pocket

You would relay have to hit the plastic base wad to deform it enough to close the flash hole
But stranger things have happened

John

jlchucker
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
A couple of years ago I bought some Cheddite 16 ga primed brass from BPI. They were headstamped "Imperial Canada". They loaded every bit as good as the old 12 gauge double A's did before Winchester started fooling around with something other than compression formed hulls. I had no trouble reloading my Cheddites with Winchester 209 shotshell primers. They fit just fine. I notice that BPI doesn't list Cheddite 16 primed hulls any more. Too bad. They are far better than the green hulls that they still sell under their own name.