PDA

View Full Version : First Cast with Lee 6 Cavity

1911KY
09-15-2014, 11:29 AM
I got my first 6 cavity mould the other day, a Lee 200 gr SWC H&G #68 Clone. Taking the advice of bangerjim, I decided to not clean this mold with dawn or anything more elaborate. I also decided not to smoke it either. I cleaned the cavities with a dry q-tip and lubed it with UV-100 Ester oil.

Had some time last night to see what I could do with the new mould. I had it on the hotplate for a good 25 minutes while my pot heated. It was good to go from the first pour. 5 of my first 6 casts were keepers. The bullets just fell from the mould, only occasionally did they need a light tap on the handle bolt. All told I cast 408 bullets, 358 were keepers and 50 are joining cull and the gang! This mould really likes 700 F alloy, bullets almost jump out when you open the blocks. I hope it stays this way!

However, to test some of the info given in the "Truth to Newbs" thread, I think I will load up some of the better remelts and see how they shoot. There are a few that didn't fill completely so I won't be testing those.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140915_003127_zpsn5hdckns.jpg

Keepers
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140915_014004_zpsex8cnxgj.jpg

Whats left of Cull and the gang! I remelted several during casting that I saw.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140915_014313_zpsoc3oback.jpg

tomme boy
09-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Now lube them up and lets see some groups

RED333
09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Nice job, dont try to cull and cast, the mold will cool off, I cull as I lube.

Forgetful
09-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Nice job, dont try to cull and cast, the mold will cool off, I cull as I lube.

That's good advice. I usually inspect the last drops immediately after I pour the next. Don't put your culls back into the pot as you go, I stopped doing that when my pours started looking like garbage lead. Add them in when you refill and flux. I won't even put the sprue back in the pot until the pots ready for more.

You may want to weigh them and cull your lightest group before continuing with your reload, too.

bangerjim
09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
How hot was your plate? I run mine at CASTING TEMP. You can tell if you are there if the 1st drop of boolits hisses and sizzles hard when they hit the drop water. If they do not "talk to you" the mold is not hot enough. Likewise, you can tell if you are too hot down the road if the boolits REALLY SIZZLE. Let the mold cool a bit.

That technique, along with the time the sprue takes to turn frosty (4-6 seconds), gives you a perfect indication of whether you are at casting temp or not. And experience with the mold will be valuable too.

Your wrinkly culls all look like the dreaded "cold mold syndrome"! (and NOT grease! [smilie=s: ) Do not cull as your are casting. It will screw up your rhythm and mold temp. Like Kenny Rogers says: "You never count your money while sittin' at the table." I only look at the 1st and 2nd drop to make absolutely sure my mold temp is up there.

I do not use a controller or thermometer and cast perfect boolits every time. Just common sense. And practice. I did not learn to play the piano in one sit down.

Good job!

Lube 'em (hopefully PC!) and shoot 'em!!!! :guntootsmiley:

banger

rsrocket1
09-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Good job!
I drop mine straight into a bucket of water. Not that I need to water drop them, it's just that when I've got the rhythm with the 6 cavity molds and the 4-20 bottom pour pot, I don't want to waste time pushing the bullets across a towel and I don't want to drop hot bullets onto a pile of other bullets, so I drop them into the water bucket. No risk of tinsel fairy here, the mold is so hot there is no way any splashed water will remain on the mold.

And I do as the others, cull afterward.

Vinne
09-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Good old Lee molds...gotta love em'.

Sghinds
09-15-2014, 08:20 PM
I am very interested in obtaining this mold as well. Recently starting trading into my equipment and this is on my list. Waiting to hear how they shoot, as I will be looking at either this one or the 2 cavity.

1911KY
09-15-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't cull while I cast, I just noticed about 4 or 5 during casting that were half filled. I picked them up and put them with my sprue collection. I run my hot plate between Med and High. The cold wrinkles are probably from the times that I had to stop and fill my 10 lb pot. That monster mould really goes thru 10 lbs quick. I need to work on a system to constantly feed the melter and keep up my rhythm.

That was my first cast with a 6 banger, my next cast will have very few remelts as I now have a good feel for it.

I do PC all my casts which is why I am going to attempt and shoot some of the wrinkled ones.

I am definitely sold on the 6 cavity though, really puts out some bullets!

1911KY
09-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I am very interested in obtaining this mold as well. Recently starting trading into my equipment and this is on my list. Waiting to hear how they shoot, as I will be looking at either this one or the 2 cavity.

They shoot great, I put 170 down range on Sunday that I cast with my 2 cavity. I will get some targets posted soon.

Sghinds
09-15-2014, 08:35 PM
They shoot great, I put 170 down range on Sunday that I cast with my 2 cavity. I will get some targets posted soon.

Great to hear. Thanks.

telebasher
09-15-2014, 09:13 PM
If the bases are filled out on your culls, load them up the same as your good boolits and shoot them. If 25 yds or less I bet they shoot just as good as your number one best efforts!

Garyshome
09-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Nice work...keep it up!

1911KY
09-17-2014, 04:58 PM

They shoot as good as anything else that I have put down range! These were all from 10 yds.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140916_001039_zpspku4jdix.jpg