PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried an induction surface for smelting?

BigDanS
09-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Cast iron and induction go well together. I see 1500 watt induction cook surfaces for $60.00 but they appear to have a temp limiter at 450 F.

With the right induction surface, you could set a smelting pot at 600 F and not worry about Zinc melting and I would think this would be preferable to an unregulated flame.

Any experience to share?

TYIA

D

RED333
09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
I work in the cooking equipment repair field, I have not seen a induction cooker go higher that 450*F.
I to have wanted to try, but unable to find one that will get that hot.
No you can bypass the safety, but not a good idea, the insulation will melt off the coil wire.

bangerjim
09-15-2014, 05:19 PM
We have 3 induction cook tops. LOVE THEM!!!!!! With the correct cookware (not club aluminum!) they cook very well and extremely accurately. I have even started cooking again!!!!! Normally my culinary tasks are the BBQ grill and the smoker!

But............on "SEAR" the temp is about 450 max. These are 1800 watt units. Not hot enough for melting lead. Some alloys.....YES. I have one alloy that melts at 145F and another that melts at 400F.

But for $60 (mine were $95) (and the right cookware) you will be very happy with induction cooking! You can control the temp within 5 degrees. And THAT is cool!

In this case, leave your lead cooking to other fuels and heating devices.

banger

303Guy
09-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Induction furnaces are used to melt aluminum. They might cause a lot of dross due to the agitation. Aluminum induction furnaces are used for melting down saw and scalper swarf which is not suitable for flame melting - too much dross formed in a flame. So I would say a lead induction furnace should be do-able although I would tend to add a small flame to create a reducing atmosphere over the melt (which can be done with a resistive electric pot).

The inductive cooker sounds interesting.

Mk42gunner
09-16-2014, 03:28 AM
It sounds doable, with the right limit switches and properly sized melting pots.

Probably won't be cheap to have the first one on the block though.

Robert

leftiye
09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Some induction furnaces for sale on eVil bAy. Expensive!

BigDanS
09-16-2014, 08:20 AM
It would not have to be a furnace. Just a cooking surface that would get to 750F max. Zinc melts at 787F. If you had a cook surface with a cast iron pot that could not get above 750F, easy smelting!

This one gets to 575 F : http://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_version=PPC-BING-NONBRANDED

http://tulumgrill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/5552e1f1ac10.jpg

bangerjim
09-16-2014, 12:33 PM
There is a big difference between an induction cooking surface and an induction furnace. There is also induction soldering and welding. All different

Personally I would not waste my time and money messing with a kitchen induction plate. They are great for cooking (I will never use our kitchen stove flat-top again!) but do not get hot enough to melt lead.

And remember there is a bunch of solid state circuitry in there and you cannot "trick" it to 750+F without damage. A lot different than just bypassing a bi-metal thermostat in a toaster oven or lead pot!!!

Stick with standard lead melting techniques. Spend your money on powder/primers/lead.

bangerjim