PDA

View Full Version : strange smoke

bsibjr
02-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi all,

In another thread way back, I had mentioned a estate purchase on a whole bunch of reloading and casting components. In with the components was about 500 complete 9 mm and .38 special loads. the 9 mm were marked with load data and the specials were not. Long story short i pulled apart the 9 mm (FMJ)and they were dead on to the load data. The .38's were wadcutters so I could not pull them. I know how most of you feel about shooting other peoples reloads, but I took the chance yesterday. I shot them out of a ruger security six .357 mag. They shot well, very mild loads but there was a puff of white\grey smoke upon firing. Any Ideas of what this could be ? There were no signs of leading at all. Thanks.

BSIBJR

pumpguy
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Sounds like the lube burning off.

bsibjr
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the response pumpguy, I forgot to mention that it had a sulfurish smell to it. These are also old reloads, probably 80's. Could the powder be the culprit, These loads were deffinatly smokier than any other loads Ive shot.

BSIBJR

MT Gianni
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I have had lube that smokes some as well as powders that smell but don't recall any in a 38 spl. I would be very concerned about a squib load so make sure that you feel recoil with each shot and check the bbl if you havve any doubts. I am still loading powder I bought in the early 90's but have more temp control on it than many folks do. Gianni

mroliver77
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Heck it could be BP or one of the black substitutes.(sulpher smell)
J

runfiverun
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
light loads of w231 will give a puff of smoke at times in a 38.
ive noticed it varies with some different lubes also

Saint
02-02-2008, 02:35 AM
After you shot was their any powder fouling in the barrel. Sounds like BP or a substitute to me too. That sulfur smell is the greatest part of muzzleloading.