PDA

View Full Version : First harvest of the season & with lead!

kawasakifreak77
09-15-2014, 04:49 AM
However, it wasn't with a boolit.. Buddy of mine has some farm ground in his family so me, him & another dude went out to russle up some doves.

I been getting into shotguns a lot more recently & picked me up a nice old Remington 1187 Premier after I was invited to my first clay shoot a couple months back. What a riot!

We only scared up a few birds, most were in areas so thick you couldn't see them but only hear them. I got fortunate though..

Scared a couple up right on the edge of a tree row, threw my gun up & bam! One shot, one dove in my vest. :)

I drew my gun up so fast next thing I know, the dove is falling and a spent hull was in the air. I surprized myself!

Now I'm worried to tarnish my beautiful Remington's track record!

Beagle333
09-15-2014, 05:14 AM
Congrats! Doves are good eatin'! :mrgreen:

milkman
09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Last time out I was 3 for 3 on doves, Three doves, three boxes of shells.

kawasakifreak77
09-15-2014, 07:35 AM
^ haha! ^ Sounds like my usual day with a shotgun! Funny thing is by the time we got back to camp, I felt silly for carrying around two boxes of shells..

Oh! Forgot to say: We decided to get the entire 'historic' experience while we were 'away from it all'. So we lit a fire, found a couple packets to season our bounty with & after I said grace, I tried the first bite... it was pretty good!

Wasn't much obviously but everybody tried a bite & was duely impressed considering we cooked with whatever we could find in my cage.

44man
09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Best way to go. Used to put bullheads on a stick over a fire. Been a long time since I had doves. We have some here but they are at my bird feeder out the kitchen window.

telebasher
09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Pop them breast out and cut a slit and insert a piece of jalapeno , wrap with bacon then grill over low to medium coals on the grill. Better have a bunch as these will go quickly!!

Geezer in NH
09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I been getting into shotguns a lot more recently & picked me up a nice old Remington 1187 Premier
I have never heard of a Remington 1187 refered to as old!!!!!!!!!!

God bless you young guys.

kawasakifreak77
09-16-2014, 06:12 PM
telebasher that sounds great! Gonna have to find a lot more doves though...

Geezer, I'm not sure how old my 1187 is but I know it sure doesn't look like these new black plastic guns they're making nowdays.. ick! She's a doll of a shotgun though, shiny blued metal, nice checkered wood, shoots soft & hits everything I've pointed her at so far!

DrCaveman
09-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Nice going kawasaki

I took a few pop shots at grouse last weekend with lead (so nice to not be shooting that darn steel shot) but struck out. Need better stalking next time

I use a predecessor to your 1187... The sportsman 48. The barrel moves back about 4" upon recoil, and loads the next round. Really just a '2 shells in the magazine' version of the 1148. I really like it, what with the fixed full choke 30" barrel. Maybe not so hot for upland game, but i think i have the edge on a 40 yard shot...if i aim right :(

scattershot
09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm one of those one box for one bird kinda guys. Went hunting once with a buddy who shoots a .410(!). Naturally, we all felt sorry for him, but every time he pulled the trigger there was a bird on the ground.

congrats on a successful hunt.

kawasakifreak77
09-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Man those .410 guys must be good! A second cousin of mine gave dad an armfull of those dimestore bolt action .410s... We peiced a couple together & shot great clays with it! Couldn't hit a bird if it perched on the end of the barrel! Not sure what that was about.

44man
09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Knew a friend in Ohio long ago and learned never to hunt next to him for pheasants. He used a .410 Rem pump. Bird would hardly be off the ground and he would shoot then in the back of the head.

pls1911
09-26-2014, 08:36 AM
1187 and old don't belong in the same sentence.
If it ain't pre 1950, it ain't old.
You see, my brother is OLD, and I ain't.
And with a proper attitude I never will be.

kawasakifreak77
09-27-2014, 05:48 AM
Haha! Okay okay guys.. I didn't know they were that new.

Well I'm still pretty new myself!