PDA

View Full Version : Great time casting yesterday ......

Mtnfolk75
09-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I have been a lurker here since at least 2005 and only recently joined. Since 2006 I have cast several thousand Boolits, everything from 310 Grain Lee's to 95 Grain Lyman's. I enjoy casting and find it to be very relaxing once I get into my rhythm .... :mrgreen:

Anyway, yesterday I spent about 4 hours teaching my 32 year old son the fine art of smelting, casting, sizing, tumble lubing and then reloading said Boolits for his Glock 20 10mm, the LEE 175 TC BTW. Best time casting ever and now he has the fever .......[smilie=w:.

He has lived about 5 hours away for years but over the last 2 years has gone through a divorce and subsequent troubles. After a job change he moved 45 minutes away from the cabin in June. We have done more together in the last 3 months than in the past 18 years ( since he discovered and fell under the spell of wimmin' folk ). It is fantastic to have my son back ........[smilie=s:

500MAG
09-14-2014, 08:39 PM
That is great to hear and definitely a great hobby to bond over. I'm sure he will every forget these times either.

bedbugbilly
09-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Father & Son time . . . nothing out there like it! My Dad's been gone close to 20 years . . . still miss doing things with him fixing things on the farm to just having a cup of coffee. Sorry for the things you son has had to go thorough, but sure hope the two of you will have many more hours and days to do things together. You're a good Dad . . . .

Garyshome
09-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Tis the season [for casting]!

Jack Stanley
09-15-2014, 02:04 PM
It's always the season for casting , and shooting and loading and ....................

Jack

Mtnfolk75
09-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanx for the comments, SWMBO & I are really happy have our Son back.

Mtnfolk75
09-15-2014, 06:27 PM
He is the youngest of 3 and the only boy. We used to do a bunch of camping, off-roading, hunting & fishing, plus just plain plinking & reloading. He started going into the mountains when he was about 5, heck he even shot a Full Auto 1927 Thompson & Suppressed MP-5 when he was about 8 or so. The Thompson was so heavy with the Drum Magazine that I actually held it up for him but he lined up the sights and shot it.

But then when he was 14 and a Freshman, I took a transfer to a Resort Sub-Station and he moved with SWMBO and I about 90 minutes away from where he had lived since he was 4. His oldest sister had just got married and the 2nd was starting her Senior year and SWMBO got her an apartment so she could finish with her Class.( that was a battle I lost ..... :veryconfu )

He hooked with a controlling little wench that year and moved out at 17 because I had too many rules. They were married right after Graduation and moved away. We rarely spoke over the next 12 years, then at Christmas 2012 she told him to move out because she had a Boyfriend. He was blindsided and devastated beyond belief. Mom & Dad came to his rescue and got him a truck and set up in an apartment, set me back about $20k before it was all said and done. I spent about 4 months living with him to help get his feet back under him. Mom stayed at the cabin held down our domicile.

Thankfully that is mostly behind him and he is making forward progress with a new romantic interest and job, I think I would have sunk $50k without batting an eye, that is what parents do for their kids. The wife and I are really happy to have our only son back in our lives.

Sorry for the babble, I just needed to put it into words. Thanx for being my sounding board.

RED333
09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Kids, what ya gona do?
My son and myself smelted down some WW on Sunday, good times.