PDA

View Full Version : Is Pay Pal anti gun

troyboy
09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Please educate me as I'm under the impression that Pay Pal is anti gun. If this true or if not what are some examples of their stance

DougGuy
09-14-2014, 10:43 AM
They are VERY anti gun. Even a mention of any term or terms firearm related will in most cases have your account locked. Anything you buy and sell you should instruct the trading party not to mention anything like ammo, bullet, barrel, cylinder, powder, primer, cartridge, shell, casing, load, loading, shot, shooting, target, hunting, whatever gun/ammo related term(s) you may be dealing with. No comments are better than gun comments because they will not hesitate to lock your account if you happen to trigger their keyword filters.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-14-2014, 10:49 AM
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ585&topicID=&m=ARA

jcwit
09-14-2014, 11:04 AM
So explain this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=reloading+brass&_frs=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=reloading+bullets&_frs=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=rifle+brass&_frs=1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=223+brass&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H2.Xgu n+parts&_nkw=gun+parts&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=1911+gun+parts&_frs=1

The list is countless

StratsMan
09-14-2014, 11:21 AM
So explain this

<<example URL's snipped>>

The list is countless

I didn't scan all auctions from all the searches you quoted, but I did notice that the vast majority of the auctions were for tools. I don't recall reading anything against selling/buying tools, whether they are specific to firearms or not. Boolit molds are tools, reloading presses are tools, and eBay is a major source for both.

I was a bit surprised to see the flintlock kit auctions. Even though they lacked a barrel, they still had a lot of "firearm" parts... I have seen auctions for disallowed parts, too... Depending on how the auction is worded, it may pass under the eBay radar... Some got pulled before the auction concluded, but some did not. With the volume of ads that go up every day, they're bound to miss a few things....

Bad Water Bill
09-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Every time today I try to look at anything on E Bay the screen says that the connection has been reset,

Perhaps I should not have been looking at a new holster for my new revolver.

Now I can not even look at a fishing lure because connection has been reset,

They have been very ati gun for years.

Folks USED TO sell tons of once fired brass.

That was banned several years ago.

Just how dangerous is an empty piece of brass but it is BANNED.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-14-2014, 11:27 AM
So explain this
...snip
Gee looks like a lot of folks are breaking the rules...that is fun and all...til they are caught :mrgreen: and paypal freezes their account.

fastfire
09-14-2014, 11:34 AM
I avoid using pp unless no other option.

TXGunNut
09-14-2014, 11:41 AM
I avoid using pp unless no other option.

Agreed, no sense supporting folks who don't like guns.

jcwit
09-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Shooting and collecting firearms are not my only hobby.

Collecting chronograph watches is another, E-Bay is one of my go to sources.

bdicki
09-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Gee looks like a lot of folks are breaking the rules...that is fun and all...til they are caught :mrgreen: and paypal freezes their account.

On October 3, 2002 eBay acquired PayPal. eBay and PayPal are now working together for a common goal: to help buyers and sellers trade online.
If it's on EBay it's ok with PayPal. I've purchased contender barrels on EBay using PayPal with no problems.

fryboy
09-14-2014, 12:18 PM
yes pay pal is very anti gun .pay pal's anti gun policy was how gun pal got in the door ( shame it wasnt with the best of intentions but ... ) i refuse to support anti gunners , i see no need to help pay them to take away my and other americans freedoms ,it's also why i do not have a evil bay account or shop at some stores

bangerjim
09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Just avoid PayScoul. Use MO's or cert bank checks for payments. I don't use ebay or Paypal when ever I can avoid them!

Liberal Left Coast companies that joined forces against the evil gun. Most there probably have never held or fired a gun, let alone held dangerous empty once-fired brass!

banger

Garyshome
09-14-2014, 12:24 PM
E Bay OWNS pay pal! and Yes E Bay is anti gun, [until they can make money off of them somehow].

starmac
09-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I thought the common goal of ebay and paypal is money.

HeavyMetal
09-14-2014, 12:30 PM
I do some busines on E bay, buying only. The anti system is alive and well at both E bay and Paypal since they are owned by the same entity.

Now the difference between tools and components is a fine one and a prime example of the Anti mind set: money rules so tools are OK to sell but but not components.

I closed my Paypal account years ago and refuse to open another and just lost a sale, for a whole 47 dollars, on another site because I do not have a Paypal account he could use to pay me with. Sending a USPS money order was to much of a risk for him, LOL!

Mind you I don't do a lot on that site so don't have much of a presense as yet so I guess I don't blame him for being gun shy but still if I refuse to ship the item after cashing the MO I am commiting Mail fraud. PO will refund and sic the Mail PD on me.

He didn't get it and is now short "Rare & Vintage" parts for his 1993 Ford Festiva!

For purchases I don't mind using a protected CC on Paypal, particularly when Mihec has a mold I want!

But I am not going to participate in E bays gouging either! Wonder why the AG's office lets them require you to use Paypal only to buy and sell on thier site?

Seems like a Monopoly to me, LOL!

Bad Water Bill
09-14-2014, 12:54 PM
I have used M Os for hundreds of purchases.

No money for Play Pal and it saves the seller also.

Just sent a Postal M O to a seller in Canada and he is returning it as no bank in Canada will cash our Postal M Os.

I thought that would be the safest and easiest for both of us BUT.

HeavyMetal
09-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Odd every time I "message" someone and ask if I can send a MO my e mail gets kicked back as unsendable.<br><br>Remove the MO verbage and it goes right through!&nbsp; Same with phone numbers or e mail addys, it's a no go!<br><br>If the seller does not have a number or E addy listed in his item post you can only contact via the "censored" messaging system.<br><br>Once again I am very select on what I buy and spend on E bay

dragon813gt
09-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't understand the Paypal hate. Do you boycott every corporation that is antigun? Your answer should be no because it's impossible to do so. PayPal is extremely convenient for all parties and gives the buyer protection. Unfortunately they give them a little to much protection. I have to really want something to send a MO. It's a huge inconvenience because I work and can't ever make it to the PO because they open after I leave for work and close before I get home. I also like sticking it to the man so to speak by using their service for firearm related items. Their goal is to make money and avoid lawsuits. Firearms are a risky business in this regard and I can't blame them for shying away from them. This is one of the few sites where people want money orders. It's paypal or no deal on others. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong.

montana_charlie
09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Please educate me as I'm under the impression that Pay Pal is anti gun. If this true or if not what are some examples of their stance
PayPal does not let people use their service to buy firearms.
Firearms are governed by a wide variety of laws across the country, and it makes sense that PayPal doesn't wish to get involved in determining 'what's legal' in 'which area'.

Paypal also restricts it's users in the area of some firearm parts.
Specifically ...
•Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

As you can see, all of those items are governed by laws that vary from state to state.

And, finally, PayPal won't allow use of it's service for buying ammunition or components used to produce ammunition.
I suspect they are mainly worried about transportation rules coming to bite them, but some ammo types HAVE been outlawed at times, and they probably don't want the responsibility of trying to keep up with laws that can change unexpectedly.

But, everything gun-related that doesn't carry the firearm's serial number, and doesn't constitute a legally questionable item, is widely bought and paid for through the PayPal system.

Pick any part you might need and do a search on eBay for it. You will likely find one, and you'll see that you CAN use PayPal to pay for it.

The U.S. Postal Service doesn't allow you to mail flammable fluids. Does that make them anti-gasoline?

bangerjim
09-14-2014, 02:43 PM
I have used M Os for hundreds of purchases.

No money for Play Pal and it saves the seller also.

Just sent a Postal M O to a seller in Canada and he is returning it as no bank in Canada will cash our Postal M Os.

Go to your bank and get a certified bank check. If you account is large enough, they are free as are bank money orders. Mine are. That is what I use for payments to individuals.

Also check with your Canadian person to see if his bank will accept a cert US bank check. Any piece of paper can be forged with todays printers, so please, no comments from the peanut gallery! But cert bank checks should work across the border. I use bank wire transfers for international payments (everywhere) for my company but those cost.

Good luck.

banger

500MAG
09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Montana Charlie is correct. The only problem is that they don't know how to screen things. eBay allows you to sell moulds and other reloading equipment and PayPal allows those transactions. The only problem is if you list that a mould is good for use with an ar15 or ak47 they will remove it and it goes against you. I even spoke to a representative who told me I was trying to sell a gun part. I explained it was a mold and they have a complete section for molds. Meanwhile, you can buy ar15 stocks, tools, hand guards, etc... No problem. They want to please the Libs but still make money.

frkelly74
09-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Apparently none of the adds that were brought up in those searches had the words like " assault rifle, or hi capacity or AR15" or other trigger words. The people who run pay pal are ignorant of firearm fact, just like the news readers on the boob toob. they rely on trigger words and no matter what the item is, if there is a trigger word the listing will be rejected. I put a scope mount on ebay for an AR15 once and mentioned that it was for an AR15 and it only took about 30 minutes for them to reject it and threaten me with account freezing if I was to re list it. There were pages of similar items still for sale and probably about a dozen individual adds for identical mounts still listed, but none said specifically AR15. I gave them bad feedback for their willfull ignorance when they sent me a questionair asking how they were doing.

starmac
09-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Where does ebays/paypals political contributions go?
Someone ask if we turn down doing business with every antigun/freedom company, the answer is I try, but feel it is a wasted effort as many feel it is ok to fund the fight gainst our freedoms. I do use paypal when I have to, but seldom do when their is an alternative.
I am in the middle of a wreck with a MO order, that was apparently lost in the mail, so nothing is fool proof.

sparky45
09-14-2014, 04:12 PM
You can buy barrels, BCG's, Muzzle Brakes, ect. they sell thousands of gun items daily.

I didn't scan all auctions from all the searches you quoted, but I did notice that the vast majority of the auctions were for tools. I don't recall reading anything against selling/buying tools, whether they are specific to firearms or not. Boolit molds are tools, reloading presses are tools, and eBay is a major source for both.

I was a bit surprised to see the flintlock kit auctions. Even though they lacked a barrel, they still had a lot of "firearm" parts... I have seen auctions for disallowed parts, too... Depending on how the auction is worded, it may pass under the eBay radar... Some got pulled before the auction concluded, but some did not. With the volume of ads that go up every day, they're bound to miss a few things....

09-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I can understand their stances on not becoming involved with the selling and the transfer of monies on the sale of ATF required serial numbered items, or others that may be illegal in certain states or localities. However . . .

. . . at one time, I had too many Garand en-bloc clips and decided to sell them on eBay (before I knew about and joined Cast Boolits). I listed and sold ten, then listed and sold another ten. The third auction of ten was yanked, even though someone had already bid on them. I asked why and was told that they were restricted items. I replied back that I'd already sold some, and that there were other listings, for them. Essentially, I was told that it made no difference, selling the clips were against company policy. I suspect that some new employee saw the auction and decided to show the boss how alert and smart he/she was.

Also, I had a few auctions for Enfield stripper clips, and sold them without any problems.

jcwit
09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Refusing to purchase goods from every company or retailer that is anti 2nd amendment is like trying to never purchase Chinese goods. LOL

Ain't gonna work, period.

starmac
09-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Refusing to purchase goods from every company or retailer that is anti 2nd amendment is like trying to never purchase Chinese goods. LOL

Ain't gonna work, period.

That is exactly the attitude, that gives me the feeling that I am wasting my efforts, but I will continue to waste them. lol There is really not a whole lot of stuff we have to buy that is made in China, it is basically a matter of choice.

dragon813gt
09-14-2014, 04:56 PM
I try as much as possible as well. But it's a losing battle unfortunately. Every little bit helps but when you're dealing w/ companies that make billions even if you take $100k out of their pocket it's nothing.

500MAG
09-14-2014, 04:58 PM
That is exactly the attitude, that gives me the feeling that I am wasting my efforts, but I will continue to waste them. lol There is really not a whole lot of stuff we have to buy that is made in China, it is basically a matter of choice.
With as few companies that are making things here it is getting harder and harder.

HangFireW8
09-14-2014, 04:59 PM
The key to understanding ebay's bizarre enforcement policy is that they try to automate everything. The problem with that is you can report a post 68 receiver 10 times and they will ignore you and the auction will complete (seen it happen), but if two hot button words show up in your listing they'll lock your ebay and paypal accounts and it will be 3 weeks before a human (in CA who knows nothing of guns) reviews the case.

Reporting infractions is almost useless because rival sellers report each other constantly and flood the system.

I have had zero problems buying and selling reloading and legal, policy-compliant gun parts, because I read and follow all the rules including the unspoken ones. Still it is not my favorite place but often it is the only place. The gun auction sites are too many and fragment the market, and all reloading components are listed at full retail price, so there are no bargains.

montana_charlie
09-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Go to the Post Office and buy an International Postal Money Order.
They are good in Canada.
If you had told the clerk where yours was going, s/he might have been awake enough to clue you in to begin with.

If the amount is quite large, you may need to buy more than one.
There is a restriction on the amount.

CM

jcwit
09-14-2014, 05:10 PM
How much more specific do you wish to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-GARAND-BOLT-DS28287-D28287-12SA-SPRINGFIELD-USGI-/141399581926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ec1264e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-bolt-complete-Inland-late-round-/111457072300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f35bf4ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-700-FACTORY-24-308-Winchester-Matte-Stainless-Rifle-Barrel-GUN-PART-/400674877261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4a156f4d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-Mauser-barrel-Nice-/321515600732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adbd2bb5c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerakote-Barrel-Glock-Sig-Kimber-Colt-1911-S-W-SPFLD-Taurus-Xd-HK-Barrel-FFL-/141329619456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e7e6da00

Like I said the list is endless

Plate plinker
09-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Sometimes there is no choice but Chinese, but if there is buy from another nation. Same story goes for eBay/paypal avoid as best we can.

Yodogsandman
09-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha!!! Sold some SKS clips on EBay today and used PayPal! EBay doesn't deal with anything that requires a background check.

GLL
09-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I have purchased barrels, cylinders, hammers, triggers, side plates.... just about every part for a .38/44 Outdoorsman except a serial numbered frame !

Jerry

I just checked and there are dozens of items similar to this that are currently listed:

http://www.fototime.com/104E5D6B2361617/medium800.jpg

A pause for the COZ
09-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I think they operate on the dont ask dont tell policy. Officially they are anti gun. But there is plenty of gun related stuff being moved around via paypal payments.
They are just like most Libtards. Anti this anti that, Until they can make a buck off of it. Then it is shhhhhh, wink wink nudge nudge.
I think if some test case really pushed it, even with an agreement stating it is forbidden by policy.
They may have a problem when they are infringing on legal interstate commerce.
Plus infringing on other peoples constitutionally protected rights. Once they are big enough that a case can be made. " To be successful in a market place you must accept paypal or you are at a disadvantage."

But if I was a vendor I would be careful not to have to much money tied up in a paypal account that they can sequester at a whim and you have to prove you did nothing wrong.

imashooter2
09-15-2014, 06:18 AM
To be anti gun, the company has to actively work to eliminate private firearms ownership. Merely deciding they don't wish to engage in the firearms or components business is not anti gun.

6bg6ga
09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Recently I tried to use Paypal for the purchase of some 45LC brass from Starline only to have it side lined by Paypal. My credit rating is 839 so credit is not an issue. The second time Paypal finally processed the transaction.

6bg6ga
09-15-2014, 06:40 AM
To be anti gun, the company has to actively work to eliminate private firearms ownership. Merely deciding they don't wish to engage in the firearms or components business is not anti gun.

Sir, I wish to disagree with you. I believe any action like failure to process payment or shipping of components, primers, powder, cases, and reloading equipment is anti gun because without these components the gun isn't usable.

imashooter2
09-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Sir, I wish to disagree with you. I believe any action like failure to process payment or shipping of components, primers, powder, cases, and reloading equipment is anti gun because without these components the gun isn't usable.

Your disagreement is noted. There is a bagel shop down the street from me. They don't sell any firearms or components. Are they anti gun?

Lead Fred
09-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Ive been using PP to buy gun stuff since Ive had a PP account

Never had a hassle yet

dragon813gt
09-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Your disagreement is noted. There is a bagel shop down the street from me. They don't sell any firearms or components. Are they anti gun?

Thank you for that. I laughed out loud. And to answer your question, they are very anti gun. I would not buy bagels from them anymore.

Omega
09-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Honestly, this is the first time I am hearing that PP is anti gun. I have been using PP to buy a plethora of gun parts since I got the account almost 11 years ago. There are even regular retailers that offer the pay with paypal feature right on their site. I will continue to use them as that is the best way to get funds to someone immediately, and not have to wait for the USPS. They may limit the items sold on it but they can't really stop it, even craigslist has firearms listed on there occasionally, long enough to contact the seller before it gets flagged by antis and rule nazis.

tja6435
09-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Last revolver purchased off Gunbroker was paid with Paypal, I wrote 'payment for gunbroker item #XXXXX, Ruger GP100 3"' or very similar. No probs. I've also bought old security/speed six parts off eBay and paid with Paypal no probs. There always seems to be a $600 Python barrel listed as well.

montana_charlie
09-15-2014, 02:36 PM
In their document of 'rules', they say several things are restricted from using PayPal.
Under 'Ammunition', the rule is ...

•Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

This link was posted earlier in the thread, but you really should read it.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ585&topicID=&m=ARA

CM

dragon813gt
09-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Last revolver purchased off Gunbroker was paid with Paypal, I wrote 'payment for gunbroker item #XXXXX, Ruger GP100 3"' or very similar.

This is dangerous for you and really dangerous for the seller. You could have your account banned. The seller could have his account frozen and all money taken from it. Buying firearms using paypal is a recipe for disaster.

Love Life
09-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Bill Ruger was anti high capacity magazine...wait, what?

dragon813gt
09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Bill Ruger was anti high capacity magazine...wait, what?

There are plenty of people that still hate him for that and refuse to buy any Ruger products.

Love Life
09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't have any ruger products that I paid for....

I remember when everybody hated 3rd gen shooting supply as well.

The gun community has a very short memory, or they love a deal.

Jimmy10mm
09-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Thing is way back eBay allowed firearms and whatever else goes with them. Because of public opinion following some of the school shootings and what have you eBay banned firearms and ammo sales. EBay bought PayPal and their policies became one and the same. Gunbroker was born.

Explorer1
09-15-2014, 08:49 PM
To answer your question, yes I do (strongly try to) avoid companies/corporations that are anti-gun. Why support those who are trying to take away our rights and freedoms?
Yes, the list is LONG and it takes some effort to understand who is who. But the ones that are publicly anti-gun are easy to avoid IMHO. There IS a difference between being anti-gun and rabid anti-gun IMHO.
Yes, I even to have a PayPal account. Hypocrite? Well, I use it once a year or so they make little off me. And the do know my opinions of their policies. So I let them carry my account year around on hopes I might need to use that account.

So as you wish, I vote with my checkbook as much as I can.

seaboltm
09-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Yes. So what?

imashooter2
09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
To answer your question, yes I do (strongly try to) avoid companies/corporations that are anti-gun. Why support those who are trying to take away our rights and freedoms?
Yes, the list is LONG and it takes some effort to understand who is who. But the ones that are publicly anti-gun are easy to avoid IMHO. There IS a difference between being anti-gun and rabid anti-gun IMHO.
Yes, I even to have a PayPal account. Hypocrite? Well, I use it once a year or so they make little off me. And the do know my opinions of their policies. So I let them carry my account year around on hopes I might need to use that account.

So as you wish, I vote with my checkbook as much as I can.

How is PayPal trying to take away your freedoms? Choosing not to enter a business segment isn't activism.

gbrown
09-16-2014, 09:03 AM
I've bought and sold hundreds of gun related items on Ebay and paid for them via PayPal. Only problem I've had was several years ago when I listed some 1X fired 38 S&W brass and it was kicked off. They sent me a message giving the reason and giving the link to the policy. No problem, I sold them later to a friend. Whenever I've sold, I've put a blurb in about people wanting to pay using an alternate method to message me after the sale. If they do that, I send a disguised email address to them and we communicate that way. Works for me, and them. Ebay wants you to use PayPal, they make money when you do. They discourage other payment methods. Anti-gun? Mixed feelings on that, everyone just has to decide themself. IMHO, Ebay and PayPal are being guided by lawyers in that area. If they could make money off it with no liability, it would sell on Ebay and be paid for via PayPal.

historicfirearms
09-16-2014, 09:31 AM
I have bought three firearms from my local gun shop using my paypal debit card. Typically I don't keep any money in that account, but occasionally I sell something online and use that money toward a new gun. Have not had a problem yet using the debit card for gun stuff, I've even used it to buy ammo and gun powder a few times.

wyrmzr
09-16-2014, 12:08 PM
If Paypal only existed on Ebay, and they had to only worry about transfers being legal, I'd say they're not anti-gun, but just covering themselves. However, seeing their own policies, and knowing you can buy at other places, it's pretty much like your bank telling you you can't go down the street and buy a gun with the money in your account.
If my bank told me I couldn't buy guns, ammunition, etc. with my money, I'd say they were anti-gun, and I'd find another bank. You may get by with gun purchases through PayPal, but just be aware their policy says they can freeze your account. Saying that because you bought gun items through PayPal means they aren't anti-gun is like saying you drove your car 100 MPH across a playground once, so it must be legal.

montana_charlie
09-16-2014, 12:44 PM
If my bank told me I couldn't buy guns, ammunition, etc. with my money, I'd say they were anti-gun, and I'd find another bank.
So ... have you found a different 'PayPal'?

wyrmzr
09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
So ... have you found a different 'PayPal'?

Not as of yet, but my PayPal account has been inactive for a decade. I've really only used PayPal once since then, and I didn't have to activate my account to do so. So I don't exactly miss them.

GoodAlloy
09-16-2014, 12:55 PM
PayPal's ethics and agenda is not in line with my values or principals. Is accepting convience worth sacrificing those ideas that make us free or a great nation? I think not. It is very similar to sacrificing freedom for security. Very dangerous to our liberties.

wyrmzr
09-16-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm actually not even sure any more why people "have" to have it. Then again, I quit using EBay a long time ago, as everything I found there was often easy to find elsewhere, often at a better price.
Other places take these things called credit/debit cards, just don't let the merchants save your card info (to avoid the breaches that have been seen lately).

lefty o
09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
i dont know or care what they are doing today, but paypal has in the past given money to anti gun causes, so yes they are anti gun. i do my best not to use them (ive used them exactly twice ever), or ebay, because i value gun ownership, and will not put money willingly into the hands of those that want it gone. just like the chinese product ****, if you try most of the time you can buy something not made in china, but most arent willing to put in the effort, same as paypal- you can almost always do without it.

lefty o
09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
seriously the word c r a p is filtered!!!

gnoahhh
09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't understand the Paypal hate. Do you boycott every corporation that is antigun? Your answer should be no because it's impossible to do so. PayPal is extremely convenient for all parties and gives the buyer protection. Unfortunately they give them a little to much protection. I have to really want something to send a MO. It's a huge inconvenience because I work and can't ever make it to the PO because they open after I leave for work and close before I get home. I also like sticking it to the man so to speak by using their service for firearm related items. Their goal is to make money and avoid lawsuits. Firearms are a risky business in this regard and I can't blame them for shying away from them. This is one of the few sites where people want money orders. It's paypal or no deal on others. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong.

Ditto. I have executed hundreds of transactions, on eBay and on several forums/classifieds- most of which were gun/sporting related. I thoroughly dislike dealing with people who don't take PayPal and insist on a MO as, or for, payment. What a pain in the butt it is to go to the PO (which is never open when I'm off work), stand in line forever, etc., when all I should need to do is spend 10 seconds on the computer to make a payment. I shudder to think how much time I would have wasted in my life had I driven to the PO for a MO for every transaction I completed with PayPal. Anti-gun? Bah. So what. Most of the companies you do business with everyday, either directly or indirectly, are anti-gun. Don't forget we are a small minority in this society. I also refuse to cut off my nose to spite my face. PayPal is just too darned handy to ignore in this, the 21st, century.

Another reason to dislike MO's over PP is this: I'm sitting here right now waiting on snail mail to deliver a MO for some stuff I sold on another forum. I'm going under the knife (hip replacement) in a few days and I'm depending on that money to ease the burden of life with no paychecks for a few weeks afterwards. But that gentleman's insistence on paying the old slow antique way may well leave me high and dry because there is no way I'll be in any shape to drive to the PO or bank to cash the thing when it gets here. Not the end of the world, but a major PIA!!!!

starmac
09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
some folks might think funding the folks/businesses that fund the political machine against our rights and freedoms to be cutting off our nose to spite our face. In reality we are cutting off our kids and grandkids nose, just because it is handy.

steamerjames
09-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Ebay and paypal work hand in hand. But last I heard Ebay owns Gunbroker? Does this make any sense?

GoodAlloy
09-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Check out their list of donation to organizations & politicians. Handgun Control Incorperated & Sarah Brady ring a bell?

seaboltm
09-16-2014, 10:39 PM
To be fair, check out Ebay's political donations. They give more money to Republicans than Democrats. Lots of corporations play both sides of the aisle.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cycle=2014&cmte=C00342394

GoodAlloy
09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Pretty cool site. Thanks for posting it. Please check back in the previous years and you will see more $$ sent to the democrats than republicans. They play polytics just like all corperations. However, I believe that their core values are anti-gun firm. Donations to republicans doesn't mean donations to pro-gun republicans just donations to some of them. Just my 2 cents worth.
Do you have a link to a similar site that will show their contributions to lobbist groups??

6bg6ga
09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
In their document of 'rules', they say several things are restricted from using PayPal.
Under 'Ammunition', the rule is ...

•Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

This link was posted earlier in the thread, but you really should read it.

CM

Thanks for the link. I doubt that I will use or try to use them again to purchase cartridge cases.

seaboltm
09-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Pretty cool site. Thanks for posting it. Please check back in the previous years and you will see more $$ sent to the democrats than republicans. They play polytics just like all corperations. However, I believe that their core values are anti-gun firm. Donations to republicans doesn't mean donations to pro-gun republicans just donations to some of them. Just my 2 cents worth.
Do you have a link to a similar site that will show their contributions to lobbist groups??

No, but I am looking. Wouldn't be surprised if they played both sides of the aisle with lobby groups too.

JTeale
10-01-2014, 02:30 AM
I absolutely refuse to use PayPal under any circumstances due to their current political stance and the way that they have treated gun owners in the past. Anyone who insists on it as payment will have to find another customer.

I can't believe the stupidity of gun owners who support those trash.

destrux
10-01-2014, 07:14 PM
They locked my account for selling a 20rd fixed SKS magazine on eBay (it was within eBay rules at the time, and paypal rules stated "no high capacity detachable magazines"). At the time it happened I told them that I didn't think it was against their rules and they didn't care, they told me it was a permanent ban. I was making a living selling auto parts on ebay at the time and they put me out of business on the spot. This was in the early 2000's.

The sale was completely legal, but they just didn't like it.

A few years ago I read an instance where another person who had their account closed for the same reason called a few months afterward and paypal agreed to reopen their account it they promised not to sell anything like that again, so I called (this was about 5 years afterward) and they did the same for me. Not that I wanted to give them the business, but I since they're the only game in town you sort of have to use them if you want to buy anything on ebay.

Only problem is... my paypal account won't receive any payments from the ebay checkout system.

I called them dozens of times and finally one guy at paypal admitted my account was restricted for "being a firearm seller". It still doesn't work for ebay sales two years later and they can't or won't fix it.

They're happy to let me buy stuff and get payments from people outside of ebay... but they won't let me accept any money from people on ebay.

To be honest though... I buy gun parts on ebay all the time with it. Just no magazines. I even used my paypal card to buy my sig brace.

Ajax
10-02-2014, 06:09 AM
I wish there was a viable option.

Andy

JTeale
10-03-2014, 06:34 PM
There is a viable alternative -- Postal money orders.

dragon813gt
10-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Not remotely close to being a viable alternative. They're comparable to personal checks. They are not instant electronic payments that are secure.

Alvarez Kelly
10-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Hardly. They are inconvenient and slow. You have to make a special trip to buy them, stand in line to buy them, pay for them, buy a stamp and envelope, and then wait. Maybe it gets there. Maybe it doesn't. The person receiving them hopes it get there. And of course, they hope it's not counterfeit. You know there are fake ones out there, right?

Paypal is incredibly fast and convenient, and offers some level of buyer protection. USPS MOs offer none of those. I'm just very careful not to use PayPal to buy a gun or ammo.

Both eBay and PayPal are pro money. They bowed to public concerns when a whack job bought his high capacity magazine on eBay and paid using PayPal. Bad public relations and all that. So what. Pro money is not the same as anti-gun. Lots of companies donate to both sides of political issues. It's good business.

I'll continue to use PayPal whenever it's convenient for me.

theperfessor
10-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I take checks, Money Orders, and Paypal, AND I tell people that use Paypal to pay me to mark it as a purchase, not a gift. That way they get some buyer protection (although I stand 100% behind my products). I'm more than happy to let them take 3% for their service. It costs me more than that to screw around going to my credit union to deposit paper. If I have to make a special trip to my CU it takes 20-30 productive minutes out of my day, not to mention the gas and mileage on my truck.

I also trust the members here a little more than I trust the general public, so I ship as soon as the check or MO is in my hand, I don't wait for the paper to clear. Even so, if you paid me tonight via Paypal for something I had in stock I would have it in the mail to you tomorrow. The buyer gets their items in half the time it takes to go snail mail both ways. Imagine if I waited a week to 10 days for a check to clear before I shipped something, the backlog of items in my shop could get ridiculous. (So far I have NEVER been shafted by a CB member so I plan to continue this policy.)

Its also easier on me from a book keeping point of view at tax time to be able to have an accurate electronic file of a significant proportion my income available, I don't have to hand enter checks and MOs into a ledger.

I can appreciate that some people have strong feelings about Paypal and that's fine, but face it, handling paper is a time consuming, error producing, costly-in-many-ways process. I take paper as a convenience to my customers, not as my preference.

JTeale
10-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Not remotely close to being a viable alternative. They're comparable to personal checks. They are not instant electronic payments that are secure.

If you are foolish enough to believe that electronic payments are secure, you probably bought the Brooklyn Bridge at least twice.

dragon813gt
10-04-2014, 08:39 PM
If you are foolish enough to believe that electronic payments are secure, you probably bought the Brooklyn Bridge at least twice.

I can't say what I really want to. How many transactions have you used paypal for? I'm well north of 10k. Not one problem. I pay all my bills electronically. Are they 100% secure, no way. But neither are money orders. There are counterfeit ones out there. So many that the PO has had to address it. To insinuate that I'm a fool is very short sighted on your part. No form of payment is 100% secure due to counterfeiting or data breaches.

Bonz
10-04-2014, 08:47 PM

PayPal is just covering their butts in case of a law suit.

Bad Water Bill
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Not that I like play pal but in talking with a couple of mfgrs that do business with play pal and evil bay it is because someone has already hauled them into court and they lost big time so they were forced to change their policies.

Not sure if there is any real truth in that statement but ask yourself how many thousands they have lost since they dropped fired brass from the offerings.

JTeale
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Ever heard the expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

Or heard the term "quisling"?