PDA

View Full Version : What furnace/melter would you buy?

pdgraham
09-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I’ve currently got a Lee Production Pot bottom pour.

I have to say that of all the Lee bullet casting crap I’ve bought this has been a decent tool but it just doesn’t hold enough lead to keep 6 cavity molds busy and I worry that when fall and winter come this won’t have enough poop to melt lead outside.

So, I’m thinking of upgrading to the Lee Pro 20 Furnace, $48 from Boses.

Here’s a link.

http://www.bosesguns.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2060

It looks like I could ladle out of it if I had to.

Would you buy this or am I just tossing more money away on cheap Lee stuff.?

Will it pump out enough heat to melt 20# of lead when it’s 40 degrees outside? (I cast on the back porch)

What would you buy?... if you were retired with limited resources….

MGySgt
09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
pdgraham,

I have both a Lyman and a Lee Pro Melt 4 - it will definately get your lead hot enough in 40 degree weather. I had mine on at 20 degrees - the Lee got hotter then the Lyman Mag 20. Of course the Lee always did get hotter then the Lyman, even after I adjusted the thermostate on the Lyman.

Heating the lead will not be your problem, keeping the aluminum molds hot enough might be when it getss down below freezing.

Drew

pdgraham
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info MGySgt..

I'm going to order the Lee...... and try to get some Lyman molds..

carpetman
09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
pdgraham---My one and only pot is a Lee. I have had it several years--no complaints. I would have a hard time justifying a more expensive one. You mentioned getting some Lyman molds. I have both Lyman and RCBS molds and very easily the difference for RCBS is justified. It's really not that much more and I was charged to have a Lyman repaired---that doesn't happen with RCBS.

StarMetal
09-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I've had my RCBS since the 1980's. Nary a problem with it...I wouldn't own anything else...nuff said.

Joe

RANGER RICK
09-19-2005, 03:52 PM
My first pot ( and I still use it ) is a lee pro 20 pound . I have migrated to a Castmaster 90 pound pot to handle my three cavity moulds . No problem of running out of hot lead for sure !!! With my heavy weight moulds I could not keep enough lead in the pot .

RR

David R
09-19-2005, 04:39 PM
RCBS promelt for me. It holds 22 lbs, has a nice working thermostat. I think it runs a little hotter than it says on the dial. Had it for 7 or 8 years. Love it.

MGySgt
09-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info MGySgt..

I'm going to order the Lee...... and try to get some Lyman molds..

pdgraham - I started out with Lyman molds and every once in a awhile I screw up and buy another one.

The comerical Molds - Lyman and RCBS - there is no comparison between the 2 - RCBS is a much better mold (IMHO).

Starting out - I would recommend RCBS molds -

Now who is going to try and Draw and Quarter me????? Or for the Sailors around here: Keel Hull me????

Drew.

castalott
09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
RCBS PRO MELT gets another vote...

I have no idea how much lead it has melted but it could easily be in the tons! I broke the bottom nozzle out once...RCBS fixed it for free!( Also brought it up to near new with new parts. ) That was after 8 years or so... The thermostat went bad some years after that....RCBS fixed it again for free! ( And practically rebuilt it to new AGAIN!) Again ...no charge but my shipping to them.

Quality doesn't cost...it pays!

Willbird
09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I have an RCBS Pro-Melt, have had it for 6 mos or so, I like it, I only wish it went to 900 degrees instead of 800. That has never been an issue, but if some is good more is better eh ?

Bill

beagle
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
RCBS Pro Melt is the way to go IMO. I have two. One's a spare. I had one bought from E-Bay with a leaking pot and sent it back in and got it repaired. Can't beat that warranty despite the higher cost.

Why two? I don't want nothing to stand in my way when I'm casting bullets and a bad furnace isn't in the plans...../beagle

LAH
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I started with a Saeco 10 pounder. Out grew it and went with a 40 pound Magma. For most hobby casters I think the RCBS is the way to go.

With what do you feed alloy Ranger Rick? A wheelborrow?

9.3X62AL
09-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Yet another vote for the RCBS Pro-Melt. Quality only costs ONCE.

RANGER RICK
09-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I started with a Saeco 10 pounder. Out grew it and went with a 40 pound Magma. For most hobby casters I think the RCBS is the way to go.

With what do you feed alloy Ranger Rick? A wheelborrow?

LAH

You would think so !!!!
One of my three cavity moulds is a .512 Dia and casts 735 gr bullets , total of 2,206 grains of lead per pour . I usally run two moulds at the same time . Thats why I use the bigger pot .
I do think the ingots I use are about 10 pounds a piece !!!!

RR

LAH
09-28-2005, 05:55 PM
It may have been you several moons ago that sent us a picture of the Master Pot and the home made mould guide? I'm impressed.

I use 8 pound bars in my 40 pounder without any trouble. I lay them on the pot to preheat though.

Cherokee
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I started with a Lyman pot and hot plate mannnny years ago. I have used Lee ever since they came out with the electric pot. I presently have two 20# pots that work just fine with my 1,2,4 & 6 cavity molds. Considering the cost, the 10# Pot that finally gave out together with the two I have now still have not cost as much as an RCBS or Lyman electric pot. But then, that's me. I'm thinking about Lynn's Magma pot the next time I need one.

RANGER RICK
09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
LAH

I also preheat the bars of lead on the rim of the melting pot . I still have my lee hooked up and I still use it when I am using a couple molds at a time . Here is a couple pics of one area I cast with my lee.

RR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/131-3131_IMG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/131-3130_IMG.jpg

LAH
10-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Nice pictutes Rick.

Bret4207
10-01-2005, 07:40 AM
One of the high points of being a confirmed ladle man is that I can spend my $250.00 on something other than a pot. If'n I was a bottom feeding type, er, bottom pouring type, I'd aim for the RCBS. I'd end up with a Lee you understand, but I'd aim for the RCBS.

fiberoptik
10-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Droool, droool. I don't even have a place to play, let alone ORGANIZATION!!! WoW!
Care to adopt??

robertbank
10-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Man alive you are one serious caster. Very nice set-up indeed! I am not worthy.

Stya Safe