PDA

View Full Version : 180gr in .30-30?

mdatlanta
01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Just found a deal on some 180gr RN jacketed bullets, and I was thinking of using them in the .30-30, but don't have an idea of load data...any suggestions?

MtGun44
02-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Is the RN going to set off the primer of the next round in the mag?

Flat point bullets are recommended for CF tube mags, although some RN profiles are
essentially flat at the primer location. Other RN are fairly pointed and might not be
safe.

Reduce the starting charge for a 170 gr jacketed bullet by about 10% and work
up from there. Use a chrono and stop when your max vel is about 90-95% of the
reported vel for the 170 gr bullet in the reloading tables. This assumes you have
standard reloading manuals with loading data. If not, please go and buy at least
two different ones and study them in some detail.

Bill

MT Gianni
02-01-2008, 12:53 AM
If the nose makes you nervous load one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Gianni

mdatlanta
02-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. :-)

The shape of the nose doesn't bother me...it's very similar to some old .30-30 RN core-lockts I have used quite a bit. I usually flatten the tips of RNs a bit anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone had used 180s and had any specific loads to share.

Mike

w30wcf
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
mdatlanta,
I would suggest either H4350 or W760/H414 (same powder). I use 36 grs. with 190 gr. cast bullets. That is a capacity loading and would support the base of the 180 gr. rn which would be helpful since that bullet does not have a cannelure in the right place. I would reduce 5% to start.

Have fun!
w30wcf

Stevejet
02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Good advice from w30wcf and MTGun44 and it should be followed in regards to powder weight reductions. The heavier bullet will seat a bit deeper, taking up space, and the internal case pressures will increase accordingly. What little you may lose in velocity going from a heavier 180 grain (versus 170) will be more than compensated by the increase in bullet momentum.

Pepe Ray
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Also--
Whereas the cannelure is out of place for crimping in the 30-30, you may need a Lee FCD. IF the diameter is still .308 at the case mouth. Otherwise you will need to stake your j-words in place, because of the taper from the cannelure forward.
Always make up some dummies to test functioning when you go this far from the shore.
Pepe Ray

runfiverun
02-02-2008, 11:21 PM
with a case full of powder check that neck tension
or use a good taper crimp a creeping bullet will make the kids learn some new words
mom dont want to hear

runfiverun

WyrTwister
02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Is the RN going to set off the primer of the next round in the mag?

Flat point bullets are recommended for CF tube mags, although some RN profiles are
essentially flat at the primer location. Other RN are fairly pointed and might not be
safe.

Reduce the starting charge for a 170 gr jacketed bullet by about 10% and work
up from there. Use a chrono and stop when your max vel is about 90-95% of the
reported vel for the 170 gr bullet in the reloading tables. This assumes you have
standard reloading manuals with loading data. If not, please go and buy at least
two different ones and study them in some detail.

Bill

I am new to .30-30 .

So far I have only one trip to the range to report .

I shot Lee 180 grain RNL and Federal 170 grain WallyWorld ammo . The Federals were jacketed RN SP . I doubt that Federal's lawyers would let them sell RN ammo , if it was a problem ?

God bless
Wyr