PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer shaving lube grooves

Rugerman
09-12-2014, 10:49 PM
First, thank you for all the guidance so far. I've spent the past 6 months using this site to learn to load and now to cast. Some details before the question......

Lee 4/20 pot
rcbs lubrisizer 2
lee 6 cavity 230 grain RN .452 2R
Lead 2/3 WW, 1/3 plumbing lead + 2% of 95/5 solder
rcbs .452 sizing die with the correct top punch

The lubrisizer is shaving part of the lube grooves flat. The reading that I have done say that I can adjust the top punch to fix this, but I cannot seem to find good instructions. One place said to look at the rcbs website, but I guess I am missing it somehow. When they come out they are measuring .452. They still shoot great. I shot 16 today with different powders. My favorite so far is 4.2 grains bullseye. 6.4 silouette shot well too though. Any help on the shaving would be great. Thanks.

nhrifle
09-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Got a pic of the damage? Would help with diagnosis.

HeavyMetal
09-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I believe you need to "center" the top punch so the boolit enters the die "evenly. Seems to me I saw an article on shimming the top punch hole but can't remember where I saw it.

I suspect it was in a Handloader issue way back hopefully someone will have a copy to quote you a volume number from.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
The lubrisizer is shaving part of the lube grooves flat
I don't understand ?

Rugerman
09-12-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't have a picture, but on some boolits the sizer is "shaving" the lube groove ridges as it sizes (not sure of the exact name).

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2014, 11:29 PM
so is there shards of lead on the top of the die?
Maybe there is a burr or mis-machined ridge inside the die ?

Rugerman
09-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I will take the die out tomorrow. I have not seen shavings. I just can't think of a better word to describe it. It is sizing so that there are almost flat streaks running up the boolits. I will try to get a picture too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-12-2014, 11:49 PM
If you're not getting shavings...then I suspect you have alignment issues.
Accurate molds has a great photo of an alignment problem.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php
if you use a form fitting punch (as opposed to a flat punch) when you have poor alignment, your boolits get sized crooked...one side will be sized more than the other side. but worse is your boolit will not be concentric.

Rugerman
09-13-2014, 09:58 AM
From what I can tell it is going in crooked. Is that because it is a RN bullet or is there a way to adjust the top punch alignment?

HeavyMetal
09-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Is this the only boolit that's doing this? Is this the only one your sizing?

Reason I ask is you have an RCBS tool and they have always been very good about taking care of "defects" under thier Lifetime warranty, I think a phone call is in order if this is an alignment problem.

They may also have other answers for you if it's not but I think that it is.

Rugerman
09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
It is the only one I am casting currently and the only die I own. I will give them a call. Thanks

masscaster
09-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Check the boolit for roundness. It may not be your sizer at all.

Yodogsandman
09-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the site!

I've never had to use this "trick" but, a little boolit lube, put on the shank of the top punch will allow it to self align. Don't use the set screw. The lube will hold it in place. If it does fall out, use more lube.

Check to be sure you have the correct top punch. Castpics shows you should be using a Lyman #374.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

leadman
09-14-2014, 01:04 AM
The procedure to align the top punch with the sizing die in an RCBS luber/sizer is fairly easy. The top punch should be the correct number for the RCBS sizing die. Place the sizing die in the luber/sizer and install the nut that holds it in place but leave it loose. Place the top punch in the ram and secure it with the set screw. Lower the ram so the top punch enters the sizing die and the ram is flat against the nut. Then tighten the nut so the sizing die is secure. If your wrench is too thick to do this place another large nut on top of the sizer nut after aligning the top punch and die. This should align the top punch to the sizing die.
If you are using Lyman top punches and/or sizing die this procedure can still be done but you will have to make sure the top punch is the correct size to enter the sizing die. This procedure is on the RCBS website.

The RCBS website has the product instructions available by going to Resources, then open the drop down and click on Product Instructions, then to Product Instructions on the new page. A list of all the RCBS products will open, pick what you need.

You could also have a different cause for your problem. The very old style of sizing dies were not tapered on the top so the driving bands were sheared off. You can either taper the top of the sizing die with emery paper on a split dowel in a drill or buy a new die.

If your boolit is more than a couple of thousands oversize you may have to size it down in 2 steps using 2 dies.

RickinTN
09-14-2014, 10:46 AM
My RCBS lamII will not size a bullet concentric. It will always tilt or cock the bullet upon entering the die. Quite some time ago I went to push through sizing only with Lee push through dies. When using the RCBS machine I only lube and do so with a die installed that is at least .001 oversized. I've tried floating the top punch and all the other tricks I've read about.
Good Luck,
Rick

Yodogsandman
09-14-2014, 01:05 PM
A picture would sure help. If I'm reading this right, your boolit drops from the mold at .452" and your sizing die is .452". Is one side just shiney and the other side dull? Or is it shiney half way up on one side and shiney on the other side the rest of the way up?

Rugerman
09-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I went back first and measured my boolits with a digital caliper set that I went and purchased. They were not concentric. Measuring from .450 to .455. I melted everything back down and tightened everything back up in the mold. The front bolt was a little loose. Cast again and got .452-.4535. Sized and lubed in the lubrisizer and life is good. Thank you all. I just loaded up a few with 4.2 grains of bullseye. My RIA 1911 seemed to like that the best. Now I am wondering what everyone prefers for. 44 mag boolit. I am wanting to pig and deer hunt here in texas. Nothing over 50 yards with open sites. Weapon is a ruger super blackhawk 7.5 inch. I have 2400 and H-110. I have a 2400 load I like with a 240 grain SWC that I purchased. What mold would you suggest for my uses? Thanks

Just Duke
09-16-2014, 12:07 AM
You can email me a pic and I can host it for you if you want.