PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Load Your Own by Colonel Townsend Whelen

DeputyDog25
09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever read this book or even ever heard of it. I picked up a first edition date 1949 and read it from cover to cover and this is one of the best books I have ever read. The book has pictures of his loading bench up in his attic where he loaded more than 50,000 rounds from 1914-1929. He talks about the war and his command, after the war and what he did. I don't want to give the whole book away, but not only is it full of reloading knowledge and information on cast Boolits, the history and different phases of his life are written about and he is a very interesting man. If you get a chance to pick up this book I highly recommend it.

runfiverun
09-12-2014, 11:19 PM
I picked up a copy of his and jack o'conners book a couple of years ago they are both down to earth type reading.

NavyVet1959
09-12-2014, 11:30 PM
It sure would be nice if they designed houses these days where the attic was big enough that you could have a reloading room up there. What with the HVAC ductwork running all over everywhere in the most unorganized manner and the wiring taking the most direct route to minimize the cost of it, it's like a limbo competition to make your way through the attic if you have to work on something.

NVcurmudgeon
09-13-2014, 12:27 AM
One of my friends had a copy of "Why Not Load Your Own" when we set out to teach ourselves about this mysterious handloading in 1959. We managed to teach ourselves without getting hurt, thanks to the good Colonel's clear but comprehensive instructions. As someone once said something along the lines of "this is the only book that actually teaches one how to load a cartridge." Far as I know, it's still that way. WNLYO is available from used book dealers at bargain prices and is still a good way to start. I have a recently acquired copy that is still the best book on my shelf.

TXGunNut
09-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the review, will try to snag a copy.

BruceB
09-13-2014, 01:35 AM
[QUOTE=DeputyDog25;2929105]I don't know if anyone has ever read this book or even ever heard of it.QOTE]

How quickly some things fade into obscurity. Those pioneers in our field of interest are dead and gone, but their works live on...... if present-day handloaders care enough to read about the early days of our addiction.

Newcomers to the hobby could well benefit from the writings of those practitioners and experimenters who laid the ground work for the hobby of today.

Yes, the actual load data is now out-dated.

THE REST OF THE INFORMATION IS NOT.

BDJ
09-13-2014, 05:04 AM
On Castpics
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/WhelenWhyNotLoad.pdf

If this is not the same book, this one is still very interesting.
A lot of great info over on Castpics.

Bad Water Bill
09-13-2014, 07:18 AM
One other I have enjoyed for almost 50 years is Yours-Truly-Harvey-Donaldson

http://www.amazon.com/Yours-Truly-Harvey-Donaldson/dp/0935632018

Harvey always sounded like he was talking to you over a camp fire.

DeputyDog25
09-13-2014, 07:33 AM
On Castpics
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/WhelenWhyNotLoad.pdf

If this is not the same book, this one is still very interesting.
A lot of great info over on Castpics.

Yes, that is the book we are referring to. I think it is the best book I have read on reloading. It is true that the load data is outdated but all the other information is just so understandable and simplified.

koehlerrk
09-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Agreed, I got the electronic scan off Castpics and I've read the whole thing... excellent reading! That and Hatcher's Notebook are two of the books that greatly expanded my education on loading and shooting.

DeputyDog25
09-13-2014, 10:20 AM
I am going to try and find a copy of "Yours truly Harley Donaldson" and "Hatcher's Notebook". If anyone has a copy they would allow me to borrow and scan, I would really appreciate it and get it back to you quickly and in the same condition as it arrived. I have a lot of time on my hands and reading has become one of my time killers.

MT Gianni
09-13-2014, 11:17 AM
It sure would be nice if they designed houses these days where the attic was big enough that you could have a reloading room up there. What with the HVAC ductwork running all over everywhere in the most unorganized manner and the wiring taking the most direct route to minimize the cost of it, it's like a limbo competition to make your way through the attic if you have to work on something.
Those homes preceded residential AC and duct work in general. I feel for those who live where they cannot enjoy a basement.

runfiverun
09-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I could load in my attic, but there's 3 bedrooms up there and they are all being used.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Wolf Publications has Hatcher's Notebook. I'm not sure if they have the others.

NavyVet1959
09-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I could load in my attic, but there's 3 bedrooms up there and they are all being used.

If you have 3 bedrooms up there, one could argue that it is no longer an "attic", but rather a 2nd or 3rd floor. :)