PDA

View Full Version : Looking for leads on good guided elk/mule deer hunts for 2015.

C. Latch
09-12-2014, 08:41 PM
My dad and I have a guide friend who has an awesome setup for mule deer and elk combo hunts. Dad's hunting with him this year but I couldn't go. I've been with him before, he's a great guide, he hunts a large, unpressured chunk of elk country, and if we have the chance to hunt with him next year, we will.

The downside......he's gave first dibs on next year's hunts to some other clients. That means we may or may not be able to go with him. He hunts a small group of hunters every year - which is part of what makes his hunts so great.

As a backup plan, I want to start looking into other guides and outfitters. Colorado would be our first choice, but if the price was reasonable, we'd be interested in anywhere from New Mexico to Montana. We're mainly looking for semi-guided hunts on large private acreages (not looking to be squeezed in on a 400-acre ranch!). Ideally we'd prefer a combo hunt for mule deer and elk, and even the possibility of getting extra cow elk tags, but we realize that such isn't always possible or practical. We are looking for high success rates; we'd love a chance at larger elk but 4x4-5x5 bulls are fine if the price is right.

Anyway....if anyone here has past experience with quality guides that you'd recommend, I'm looking, and would be interested in hearing about your hunts.

runfiverun
09-13-2014, 12:07 PM
you can go big or go success.
Colorado will get you a very high probability of a bull in the 300 range.
new mexico will show you some in the 400 range and you take your chances from there.

chg
09-23-2014, 08:16 AM
I'd try the Colorado hunt. Not sure about New Mexico's tag availability. Idaho has lot's of unsold nonresident tags but few elk since the 1996 die off and the reintroduction of wolves. It's pretty much a waste of time and money to try for elk in Idaho when you have so many other good options in states where the game is managed better. Wyoming might also be a place to look into.

C. Latch
09-23-2014, 08:22 AM
It's going to be 'iffy' getting into the place in Colorado next year. Dad just returned from his hunt this year; he killed a decent mule deer with a muzzleloader but couldn't connect on an elk. Saw several, heard several, but it was hot and his knees were hurting and he was having a hard time negotiating the canyons where the elk stayed.

We've found a guy on the internet in Idaho that does fly-in wilderness hunts, and it sounds really neat, but it's pricey. I really need to set a ceiling on my budget......the wife and I want to build a house soon. Everything I spend on this is money we don't put into a house. The flip side of the equation....my dad isn't getting any younger.

chg
09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I would ask the outfitter what his success rate is for the last 5 years by year and for a list of clients from the last two or three years. Like anyone else he's going to give you the names of the successful hunters and those who saw lots of animals. Put together a list of questions and call each past client. Go through the list question by question with each person. Number of animals seen, how much sign in the area, opportunities for a shot, quality of food, camp, equipment, etc....

The "wilderness" does not guarantee there's going to be any game in it. I've lived along the edge of the Selway/Bitterroot Wilderness for over 40 years and have watched it to go from an excellent elk hunting area to what the Forest Service trail crews now call the "land of no use" as they state that the only use on the trails they're cutting out and maintaining will be them, the crew doing the work, period. There used to be licensed registered outfitters & guides operating all long the Northfork of the Clearwater, the Lochsa, Selway, up Coolwater Mtn, Idaho Point, Copper Basin, Otter Butte, Elk Summit,on and on. There are very, very few remaining. I feel sorry for them. No elk, no deer, few bear, cougars are becoming more numerous seems like anyway but that could be because we're seeing them close to town. That could be because the remaining game is there too. More food due to agriculture near towns, wolves get shot at near towns so they tend to distance themselves somewhat.

Federally designated "wilderness" does not allow the use of motorized vehicles or even wheels such as a mountain bike. Certain airfields in operation prior to the 1964 wilderness act may be still allowed. What I'm trying to say is be carefull in your selection of the state and area within the state. The term "wilderness" can be misleading and in many cases, not an asset to there being plentifull game or the hunt.

sixshot
09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I took an enormous bull in the Selway in 1970 & quite a few after that but by the mid 80's it was changing & getting expensive to haul all those horses from SE Idaho all the way up there. We finally gave it up & started hunting much closer to home. The wolves have really done a number on elk in the central part of the state, they will never recover in my lifetime! If you want big bulls with a high success rate then you will pay a premium but should have a very good chance (not guaranteed) to score a good elk. Some parts of Utah will give you that, as will Wyoming & Montana. Short answer, I would check out Montana.

Dick

white eagle
09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
I'd try the Colorado hunt. Not sure about New Mexico's tag availability. Idaho has lot's of unsold nonresident tags but few elk since the 1996 die off and the reintroduction of wolves. It's pretty much a waste of time and money to try for elk in Idaho when you have so many other good options in states where the game is managed better. Wyoming might also be a place to look into.

I wouldn't give up on Idaho shot a bull there while on a drop camp hunt in 2008
we saw and heard more elk but they were spooky from wolves however we did adapt and shot one
long shot is still a shot

chg
09-23-2014, 10:56 PM
A lot has changed since 2008. The IF&G will now sell you an additional non resident tag so you can get two bulls! Come out, buy two tags and let us all know how you did.