PDA

View Full Version : Vouge to claim sexual abuse

troyboy
09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
What gives me pause is the number of celebrities claiming to be molested. Seems to be publicity driven.

slide
09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Monkey see monkey do. Can't let someone else out do them.

plmitch
09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Seems like typical pit material

762 shooter
09-12-2014, 04:37 PM
What or who is a Vouge???

Google doesn't know.

bubba.50
09-12-2014, 05:15 PM
try vogue instead of vogue.

JSnover
09-12-2014, 06:01 PM
I might be sympathetic of they didn't act like a bunch of idiots to begin with. Half of them try to show as much skin as they can without getting arrested, now they're victims?

762 shooter
09-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm just trying to understand.

A magazine is trying to claim sexual abuse????

Is there a link?

osteodoc08
09-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, sexually abuse is rather common. I'd hope someone would not lie or embellish about being abused as that is just as sick as the act itself (if not more so).

JeffinNZ
09-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately, sexually abuse is rather common. I'd hope someone would not lie or embellish about being abused as that is just as sick as the act itself (if not more so).

Agree entirely. The difference is now people are able to speak up and have someone listen whereas before it was all hush, hush. The Pope is sitting a good example.

smokeywolf
09-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm with 762 shooter, last I heard vogue was a magazine. Apparently it is now some self proclaimed entertainer? Is it male, female or other?

troyboy
09-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Vogue just means a popular thing. Stupid tablet misspelled.

dtknowles
09-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Yes, it is en vogue to admit to having been abused. The point is to reduce the stigma so people who are abused will report their abusers. The amount of abuse that does not get reported is claimed to be very large. Reporting abuse needs to be timely, if it is not reported immediately it is often not actionable and evidence and clear recall are lost.

Yes, some of the recent revelations by celebrities may be for selfish reason but it is for a good cause. There are perverts out there getting away with much evil because the victims fear reporting their abuse or don't really know how to deal with their abuse.

Tim

762 shooter
09-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Now I get it.

Garyshome
09-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Well Allrightythen....Who cares...besides Me?

dtknowles
09-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Odds are that a significant number of members here were abused and did not report it and don't want to talk about it. Sexual abuse is not the only kind either. In my high school a kid killed his Dad in the wood shed with an axe because he was not going to take another beating. I can only speculate that it was a beating, the details of his motives were not public but no charges were filed against the kid. My step daughter and my adopted daughter and their mother told me (and therapists) they were abused by the adopted daughter's father. The abuse they claimed were not the most heinous sort but still criminal and sometimes of a sexual nature.

I hope we all care about getting the pervs behind bars but we still need to avoid false accusations. This is why reporting needs to be immediate and accurate so the accused can mount a defense if not guilty.

Tim

TXGunNut
09-13-2014, 03:00 PM
As a rule I could care less what actors, athletes and other entertainers think or say outside of their area of expertise but if it reduces the stigma and pain for abuse victims it's a good thing, IMHO. Other motives for revealing they were victims are hard to understand but I guess anything's possible.

monadnock#5
09-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Odds are that a significant number of members here were abused and did not report it and don't want to talk about it. Sexual abuse is not the only kind either. In my high school a kid killed his Dad in the wood shed with an axe because he was not going to take another beating. I can only speculate that it was a beating, the details of his motives were not public but no charges were filed against the kid. My step daughter and my adopted daughter and their mother told me (and therapists) they were abused by the adopted daughter's father. The abuse they claimed were not the most heinous sort but still criminal and sometimes of a sexual nature.
Tim
It's a different world today. Doctors, teachers, neighbors, even a complete stranger with a cell phone will make a report first and ask questions later. By the time each of my children turned 12 years old teachers at the school had trained their classes in how to collect evidence and make a report to school officials. That was, and still is, absolutely fine by me.
When I was in school during the 60's and 70's no one taught us, because NO ONE wanted to get involved. I wish I could say today's world is better, but I can't. We as a society simply cannot find the happy medium. Either we let child molesters walk free, or send all the good folks at the child care center to jail for 15 years so that the prosecutor can establish their bona fides before running for office.
I wish there was an answer.