PDA

View Full Version : Where's the leading?

nachogrande
09-12-2014, 09:03 AM
That I keep reading so much about? Granted I've only started loading cast for steel challenge/bowling pin for app 6 months, NEVER a hot load by any means, 2.8 gr's of BE with a 148 gr dewc seated flush in 38 special may be reduced even. lead sources have been space coast or Missouri in 9mm/ 38special/ 357/45 acp. I do get soot/smoke on me and the outside of the gun, but the bore isn't really much dirtier. No lead building up/ streaking or clogging up the rifling I keep hearing the horror stories of. Getting reliable/trustworthy load data is the hardest thing so far. Lyman 49 & Ken Waters pet loads have been the best yet, I know Lyman has a cast manual 4th edition (that I've found, NO # 69) but that was printed in 2011, is a new one due soon? I hate to trust net info without a manual to check it against. Most of the better shooters In my groups are also the oldest & are long time casters so I listen to them well. Being 57 y/o and called the kid aint so bad, that's life down here in Gods waiting room.

silverado
09-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I started off shooting cast in 38 special, light loads of 3.2 grains of hp-38 and 158 grain swc. Since then I have cast for 357, 44, 45, and 9mm. The only thing that has left appreciable leading for me was some hot hot hot 44 magnum loads with w296 (book loads) and 240 grain boolits with lee alox. And that was because the boolit was undersized. I also usually pc my boolits since the 44 leading happened.

runfiverun
09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I'd look for lymans other manuals before I bought the #4.
as far as a new one soon, it took 3 delays and 20 years to get #4 out and I think it's not near as good as their other manuals.

stubert
09-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Lyman # 3 is the best, however #4 does have some new info. I think everyone needs both!

Char-Gar
09-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Big Nacho...you have a good grasp on reality. Almost every cast bullet fired will leave soot, powder trash, bullet lube and maybe a little lead wash in the barrel. All of this comes out with an ordinary cleaning with a bore brush, patches and a decent solvent.

Folks who were suckled on those dreadful little yellow thingies that are pushed down a barrel, often confuse a normal cast bullet fired barrel with leading. They have unreal expectation of what their barrel should look like.

Real leading is not common and easy to avoid with attention to the basics.

nachogrande
09-12-2014, 03:18 PM
That soot/whatever, cleans up A LOT easier than copper. Kind of like cleaning up black powder residue. I wouldn't want to shoot cast wearing a white shirt however. Any ideas where to find these older lyman manuals, all I can find is #4 (so far).

JSnover
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Try eBay (if you must) or gunbroker.

dondiego
09-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Amazon.com

GhostHawk
09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
My first try shooting cast boolits in my SKS with poor lube gave me leading. Took me 3 days to clean out, but I ended up with a clean shiny bore, started with a dark one.

Since I got better lube I've had zero problems. In fact even my old Mosin's bore's have cleaned up significantly.
Hard to beat a good lube, running a ben's red variant with a little extra carnuba from LsStuff.

nachogrande
09-13-2014, 11:46 PM
A separate topic maybe, but do you guys/gals think store bought cast from Missouri/ space coast are adequately lubed? I'm not a fan of over oiling/lubing, but want to be safe, what say you?

Love Life
09-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Are you asking if the bullets you buy from Missouri Bullet Company are adequately lubed?

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 08:22 AM
YES, that is the question. I don't care about your forum tenure, or if your first posts were cave drawings. If you don't have ANY usefull/ constructive info/advice, please don't waste both our times with a reply. I am MORE THAN WILLING to listen to ANY good info, from ANY source. Thanks in advance to those willing to help.