PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

country gent
09-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Had my daughter here 2 children and boyfriend out to help me with some odds and ends this evening. I went out to teach show him how to use a circular miter saw on a couple cuts. Had the 3 year old grrandson along as grandpa and Dad both were just to big a draw. I made the first cut and was getting ready to brush the sawdust away when a bee was caught in my hair. I brushed it away. I then told jack for him and grandson to run and get out. I got stung 8 times getting out the garage door 6 ft away. A bunch of hornets had moved in this summer. I hadnt been out there for a month or better. We ran to wallmarts and got some insect bombs that are supposed to kill hornets and we closed the garage up with them and letting it set tonight. Will drop a couple more in tomorrow evening. I was planning on casting tomorrow but not with these new arrivals. The bites stings are very sore and tender were swollen to about the size of a dime but have went down now. On the bright side I was the only one to get stung tonight.

LUBEDUDE
09-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Ouch is right!

Bendryl is your friend.

Ed Barrett
09-12-2014, 06:33 PM
I know what you mean. The dirt dauber is the state bird of Missouri.

BrassMagnet
09-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Hornets can not fly in the dark. Night time and Hornet spray are you friends.
I hate hornets!

country gent
09-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Last night after dark her boyfriend ( fiance) went back out to turn of the lights and close up the garage. He set off 2 foggers that were stated to kill wasps and hornets before closing up. Dad went out this afternoon in heavy clothes and head net gear fired up the saw and stompped around no hornets so before closing up he set of the third one as insurance. Being disabled I cant run from them so getting rid of them is important. Im still a little sore and the stings itch alot now. But am over the queasiness and chills. But when grandson was helping "doctor" Grandpa I milked all the hugs and kisses I could from him.

petroid
09-13-2014, 09:25 AM
With a title of "Ouch" and the story involving power tools and kids I feared for the worst. Glad it wasn't but sorry it happened nonetheless

country gent
09-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Well I was teaching her boyfriend to use the saw safely, a 12" miter saw isnt a toy by anu means. But it was the saws scream that seemed to infuruate those hornets. Left arm is still itching and burning pretty bad. Right isnt as bad. I cant wear my watch today as it sits on one sting iritating it to no end

Gator 45/70
09-13-2014, 09:31 AM
We seem to have a bumper crop of wasp and yellowjackets down here, Every week it seems I have to kill them when I get home from work!

LUBEDUDE
09-13-2014, 09:39 AM
I know what you mean. The dirt dauber is the state bird of Missouri.

I hate the messes those daubers make in my garage with all of their nests!

However, comparatively speaking, with wasps and hornets; the good thing about them is that they do all they can to get away from you.

The only time I've been stung by a dauber is I somehow grabbed one when neither of us were looking. And the sting did not have near the punch or lasting effect of a wasp.

jeepyj
09-13-2014, 09:57 AM
With a title of "Ouch" and the story involving power tools and kids I feared for the worst. Glad it wasn't but sorry it happened nonetheless

Exactly where my thoughts went. Not that i'm glad you got stung but the story ends better than I thought!
jeepyj

MrWolf
09-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I also immediately jumped to disaster when I saw circular, saw, and kids. Flashback to when I was a kid and my father caught my brothers arm with a circular saw. Freak accident and over 500 stitches but he was very lucky and kept almost full use of the arm. Glad your story wasn't one of those.

TXGunNut
09-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Hornets seem to be programmed to attack machinery, glad you're doing better and no one else was stung.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
It's not the noise, it's the vibrations. They do the same thing when a lawnmower is run within a few feet of them (ground dwelling hornets) and when the boards above them vibrate (mud daubers). You don't have to ask how I know!

smokeywolf
09-13-2014, 07:37 PM
When a histamine release (bug bite or skin eruption) is not responding to a 1% cortisone anti-itch cream and causing me itching that is bad enough to prevent sleep and drive me nuts, I apply 2.5% lidocaine Burn Jel Plus, aka Water Jel.
With bug bites, poison oak or ivy, it is usually best to try a Diphenhydramine "Benadryl" type medication first, as that may be all you need. Always check for drug interaction or drug allergy possibilities before taking any drug; over the counter or prescription.

Sure glad the little guy didn't get stung. That can be very traumatic at that age.

smokeywolf

WILCO
09-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you're feeling better soon.

BrassMagnet
09-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Ouch is right!

Bendryl is your friend.

Beware!

All antihistamines can kill. Benadryl can kill. It lowers your heart rate. Do not over dose! Do not take more than 50 mg and go to sleep.