PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for WW?

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I just picked up half a 5 gallon pail of clean, sorted WW for $10. Is this a fair deal or am I getting hosed?
Selmerfan

fishhawk
01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
well i go up to 20 bucks for a full 5 gal pail of WW but average 5 bucks a pail

dubber123
01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
I just picked up half a 5 gallon pail of clean, sorted WW for $10. Is this a fair deal or am I getting hosed?
Selmerfan

Buy all you can get for that price. Guys are paying 3 times that or more IF they can get them at all.

klw
01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm paying 50 cents a pound plus shipping. Got 200 pounds on order.

jleneave
01-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I gave $30/5 gal bucket just yesterday. I bought 3 buckets but got more like 5 buckets for the same price. I have at least 500lbs and actually closer to 600lbs. At that price 500lbs averages out to .18 Cents/lbs. The guy I got them from even loaded them into the truck for me. They did have some trash in with them like cigarette butts, paper/stickers, and a few lug nuts. They also had several flat stick on w.w., but I can use them for fishing jigs or cap and ball revolvers (once I buy a mold). I have paid .15 cents/lbs for them and very rarely come across the free ones.

I have seen them go for over $1.00/lbs on ebay. I had one place that wanted $1.50/lbs and another that wanted .75 cents/lbs. I think that the price is all over the place. I try not to pay more than .25 cents/lbs for them, although I did offer one place .50 cents/lbs for them and glad now he didn't take me up on the offer. I think they are getting harder and more expensive everyday that goes by. I am just trying to stockpile all I can for as little $$ as I can before they get impossible to find.

Keep the replies coming, I too would like to see what everyone else is paying in different places.

bobthenailer
01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
just bought some after work today from a tire shop , 475 lb for 20 cents a pound or $95.00, i called the local scrap yard and they were paying 15 cents a pound. i hope to get at least 400 lb in ingots after smelting which makes it about 23 cents a pound not counting propane. bob

AKtinman
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I drove 131 miles today looking for wheelweights. 50 miles of the trip were part of my daily commute, so I drove an extra 81 miles specifically looking for lead.

At each stop, I asked if they had any used wheelweights, and if so, I would like to purchase them. One shop sold me some, but all the others refused payment for the wheelweights.

My town of 5,000 produced 11.8 lbs of free wheelweights from one shop, nothing at the other.

A nearby town of 1900 produced 16.5 lbs free, and I paid $5.00 at a wrecking yard for 65.4 lbs of wheelweights.

Two stops in another town of 5000 resulted in no wheelweights at all. One of the shops said to come back in a week, and he would have some - But, he has told me that before!

Two stops in a town of 1100 resulted in no wheelweights. One of the shops said they sell theirs to a salvage yard in Ft. Worth, the other reuses his.

Five stops in a town of 5500 resulted in 49.7 lbs of free wheelweights from one shop. One of the tire stores told me all his wheelweights are given to a guy who casts balls for use in a small cannon!

After getting home, I got out my electronic counting scale, culled the bolts, valve stems & etc out of the haul, and weighed the wheelweights. Of course, the total weight includes the steel clips, road grease, etc, so the usable total will be a bit less.

Total of 5 towns, 13 stops, and a total of 143.4 pounds of wheelweights.

I figure $18.00 for the extra gas, $5.00 for the one shop, for a total of $23.00 out of pocket, which averages around 16 cents a pound for the wheelweights.

Not a bad day, all in all, and a pleasant drive as well. But, these things are getting harder to find!

miestro_jerry
01-31-2008, 08:29 PM
I just got a 30 shipment from an Evil Bay seller, they were clean and look unused. Except when the flat rate box showed up it had been leaking wheel weights, about 5 pounds worth. The seller said he never has this problem before and said he would make it up to me for the $8.95 for flat rate shipping. I offered no flat rate, priority shipping, which would be about $4.60 and then I would split that cost with him. Most of the time when I get lead, WWs, etc. They come double boxed, bagged, special shipping container for inside the flat rate boxes, and a few other tricks.

I generally put cast bullets and other heavy things inside another box, recycling boxes that I get things in. I even reuse the plywood boxes that one source builds to ship 50 lbs of lead inside a flat rate box. Then I tape all around the box at least once to give the box more support.

In my area, WWs are generally spoken for, so thats a non starter for me.

Jerry

klw
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
I got 1800 pounds of linotype is 60 pound shipments via the post office. The post office says that you can put up to 70 pounds in their boxes but they never thought anyone would do it. Never occurred to them that someone would, essentially, ship lead.

The local post office in Flagstaff Arizona noticed these shipments. It would have been hard not to. One postal clerk made every effort to create hell. Though the story is more complicated, they got rid of her. The deputy post master was excellent. The post office from where this stuff was shipped, however, was another story. They clearly went out of their way to rupture as many boxes as possible. This is not atypical.

My friend Art Green ships bullet alloy via the post office all the time. His local post office could not possibly be worse. I think that they just enjoy harrasing this 80 year old man.

You want to fill any voids in these boxes tightly with compressed newspapers. Line the boxes, all surfaces, with pieces of thick cardboard cut to fit. Then wrap the box with clear plastic tape. All this is legal even though most post offices will tell you it is not. And if you get a hate call from your local post master don't back down. This is not government service at its finest.

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 09:55 PM
30 60 pounds boxes, nice work! Somebody got a workout and it sounds like they didn't care for it! :) I just shipped out some .452" bullets as part of a bullet trade and the mail room gal questioned whether or not they could take a flat rate box that heavy. She called in and found out that the limit is 70 pounds and she said, "What are you shipping, pure lead?" I said, not quite, there's some other stuff in there too! Like dies and brass, but mostly lead. :)
Selmerfan

surfj9009
02-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I went in a shop today to buy some primers and an older gentleman who works there asked me if I would be interested in 2 ammo cans full of WW's. Itold him yes and that I don't really know what they are going for, but I will find out. I want to give him a fair price for sure, because I am always in this shop. I did not think to ask more details as I am still uncertain what to look for, but I don't really have any idea what to offer for them. he said he would weight them tonight and meet me at the shop after work tommorrow.

Any thoughts on what I should offer?

twopatch
02-07-2009, 03:19 AM
wednesday I hit 15 tireshops in town. only 1 had weights for sale. $100 a bucket!!! needless to say That guy still has 2 buckets full. Then on thursday I was in the same area but not on the main drag,and noticed a shop out of the corner of my eye. I stoped and asked he had 2 buckets, he said $80 for both. I had $72 with me, he took it. Thats the story in Sacramento.

twopatch
02-07-2009, 03:21 AM
I went in a shop today to buy some primers and an older gentleman who works there asked me if I would be interested in 2 ammo cans full of WW's. Itold him yes and that I don't really know what they are going for, but I will find out. I want to give him a fair price for sure, because I am always in this shop. I did not think to ask more details as I am still uncertain what to look for, but I don't really have any idea what to offer for them. he said he would weight them tonight and meet me at the shop after work tommorrow.

If the cans come with the deal,$20-25?

FN in MT
02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
$100 per bucket!!! I had a shop recently offer me WW's for $65 a bucket and I almost choked when he told me!!

Many of you are VERY fortunate compared to others. Some areas have shops that happily give them away.......others think they have gold.

FN in MT

SWIAFB
02-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm getting a 5 gallon bucket per month for $15.00. central Iowa. SWIAFB

Leadforbrains
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I havent paid a dime for any wheel weights yet, but if I had to pay .10 cents a pound sounds like a great deal to me. I have been prepared to pay $25.00 a bucket, but I have been fortunate to have gotten everthing free so far.
100.00 dollars a bucket! If it ever gets that bad Ill be wearin a mask for my next trip to the tireshop. "Stick em up and give me all yor wheel weights!"

putteral
02-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I have been paying $40 per bucket here on the west coast of Florida. They are hard to find.

par0thead151
02-07-2009, 01:52 PM
i paid 20 cents a pound back in december from my local scrap yard. this was after calling EVERY single one in a 50 mine radius as lots still wanted annywhere from 45 cents to 1.50$ a pound.
the second best place wanted 30 cents a pound.
now i called them all again as i wanted to get more, price is 50 cents a pound....
only 3 places would even sell it, lots dont have it. what is going on with WW lead?
before lots of guys were choking on the stuff as it was not moving.

Ole
02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I just got a 5 gallon bucket for $20 and I feel very fortunate. :)

Fire_stick
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I just picked up a 5 gallon bucket of ww's for $20 bucks. We weighed it and it was right at 285#.

waksupi
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I just picked up a 5 gallon bucket of ww's for $20 bucks. We weighed it and it was right at 285#.

Someone's scale is broke!

high standard 40
02-07-2009, 11:44 PM
In my experience a brim full 5 gal bucket is about 160 lbs depending on the volume of trash included.

mtgrs737
02-08-2009, 01:20 AM
I regularly pay $25 a full five gallon bucket at my best shop. The owner is happy to get it and I am too. WW's work great for about 90% of my casting.

Duckdog
02-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I was calling around the yards in my area of northern WI and the cost for cleaned ingots is about .70 a pound. I don't really think thats all too bad considering their cleaned and they are claiming no battery plates are melted in.

By the time I dink around trying to get some, mess around lading them in 170# batches, it probably works out.

Even with the price dropping, none of the shops are lookin' to get rid of them yet.

You got a deal.

surfj9009
02-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Well, he d online the night before I met with him and he though 50 cents a pound was fair plus $10 for each can. I passed.

I found a wrecking yard that sells them for 7 cents a pound. i was stoked when they said they had a full bucket. i jumped in the car and headed over there. When I got there the guy told me that the full bucket was alread paid for but not picked up yet.

They had another 30 lbs. in another bucket that they sold me. They took my name and number and said they will call me when they have another decent amount.

At that price though, I think i will start calling every week.

yodar
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Selmerfan

You stole it!

RUN !

I paid as much as $15 a bucket till I started getting it free.

When THAT is gone, there will be NO lead available in my area and I will hafta buy it from ebay

Ebay in the past has offered it $1.00 a lb DELIVERED.

I HAVE bought a couple hundred pounds of it, and it works well but I ALWAYS add a skoshe of 67/33 and perhaps some magnum shot

yodar

surfj9009
02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
I called a small but cheap and busy tire store today while I was running around doing errands to ask if they had any. The guy put me on hold, came back and said,
Yep, I got almost a full 5 gallon bucket here. You can have it for an 18 pack of Bud Light"

Haha. I told him I'll be there in 15 minutes. When i got there there was a couple guys going around scrounging them from behind the machines and on the floor and stuff. It was about 3/4 full.

I told him next time they get 3/4 a buck call me and it will be another 18 pack.:-D

Sounds fair to me.