PDA

View Full Version : Old Lee Production Pot - Parts same as the current ones?

wyrmzr
09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm beginning to see why I'm having trouble getting my boolits to cast as well as I'd like; my used Lee Production Pot is not getting to temp. As in, sometimes, it won't even melt lead.
I've been browsing Lee's site to look up parts for the beast, and what they list is most likely for a much newer version. I bought this one for $20 from a guy who's been casting over 60 years, and for all I know, he bought this pot before I was born (assuming they made the Production Pot over 40 years ago).
Given that the parts for it are cheap, and I have yet to outgrow the 10 lb. capacity, I want to rebuild it, but I want to make sure the current parts they sell aren't going to not fit. Right now, I'm looking at a coil, thermostat, and inside/liner. I know others have rebuilt at least some parts of theirs, but has anyone had issues with an old pot just not accepting newer parts for one reason or another?

wyrmzr
09-10-2014, 06:34 PM
As an added note, I'm seeing that the liner on the Lee site says "plastic". Does this mean it's one meant specifically for plastic melting? I have seen the Lee pot advertised as being for plastic, but wasn't sure if that's actually a different model, or just a different label they slap on the same thing.

VHoward
09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
As the curent production pot has a IV after it, I would assume there has been 4 different versions. I would call up lee and talk to them. At the least, they will let you trade it in on a new one and you only have to pay 50% of the new price. Otherwise, they will be able to tell you which parts you need if they have them.

Mike W1
09-11-2014, 08:49 AM
I believe the IV indicates the 4" of mould clearance. I have an older one that didn't have that much. But I'd still do as said above and check with Lee. There's a post on here somewhere about the spout being different too.

1911KY
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I added a new pot to mine, new valve rod, new valve arm and bushings. I just received a new thermostat as well but I haven't installed it yet. The pot was the only part that was different. It is shorter and the rim is a little different but it still works.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251066-Rejuvenated-Lee-Production-Pot

Beware that taking the pot out is a little more involved than it appears. There are screws on the inside of the thermostat housing that have to be backed off and this will require removing the thermostat. Make sure you note which wire goes where and be very careful with the thermostat as I damaged mine and it doesn't hold a temp now. It is just full blast no matter where it is set, hence the reason for a new one.

wyrmzr
09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
I pulled this one apart; nothing too difficult as far as I'm concerned, but I used to build robots. Probably can't solder that well anymore, but this was pretty simple in design.
The thermostat, being triggered by heat, appears to be just triggering far too early for my pot; I've managed a temporary fix by moving it behind the tower that it's supposed to sit in. In the process of ordering a new thermostat, as the parts are indeed the same.
Mine has a 2 piece pot, with the ring around the top, but according to Lee, the rest of the parts will interchange. I may eventually replace other parts on this thing, but so far it looks like the thermostat, being of an unknown age, and having sat on a workbench for many years, just got tired. I watched the thermostat work outside of the housing, in the hopes that I could adjust it somehow, but that's not as easy as I'd hoped. I cleaned off the contacts, but no change, so for the next few days, while I wait for the new one to show up, this thermostat will sit outside the housing, where it stays cooler. I'll have to keep a close eye on my temps, though, since it's not going to be getting the ambient heat that the furnace would normally supply to turn it off.
Of course, with it hanging outside the tower, I also have to make sure I don't short it out against something, or myself. 120V is not a lot, but I've been hit with that enough times for one life.

VHoward
09-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Forgot to mention that after you find out which parts you need, order from Titan Reloading or Factory Sales Reloading. Both carry the full line of Lee equipment including parts and they sell them for less and lower shipping rates.