PDA

View Full Version : What is tha in the road? Why, it is an...

Love Life
09-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Alligator!!

While driving to work this morning I saw what appeared to be the fattest snake ever in the road, and everybody was swerving around it. As I get closer, it turns out to be about a 3 foot alligator! The funny part is that the alligator looked truly offended that we would dare drive on the road while it tried to cross.

Sure does make a man nervous about running the trails in the area!

nagantguy
09-10-2014, 08:46 AM
In my days in Panama, We were patrolling along the canal and when we took a break I found a nice dry log to.sit on, only it wasn't a log it was a Cayman, about a four footer luckily it was in the relative cool of the evening and he was slow moving, I on the other broke all land speed records.

Bullshop Junior
09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Alligator!!

While driving to work this morning I saw what appeared to be the fattest snake ever in the road, and everybody was swerving around it. As I get closer, it turns out to be about a 3 foot alligator! The funny part is that the alligator looked truly offended that we would dare drive on the road while it tried to cross.

Sure does make a man nervous about running the trails in the area!

I thought you lived in Arizona..

762 shooter
09-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Arizonius Aligatorus. No that was Roman Caesar.

He moved to GA.

Bullshop Junior
09-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Ah. I apparently missed that. I have heard say we get the occasional gator in my part of Texas but haven't seen one yet.

garym1a2
09-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Try Florida, if theirs fresh water theirs gators.

runfiverun
09-10-2014, 05:10 PM
3 footer..... sounds like BbQ time.

monadnock#5
09-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Years ago, on the way to Sunapee, traffic slowed way down and in the distance, shimmering in the heat waves, it appeared a snake was crossing the road. But nope, it was mama duck with a flock of baby ducks in trail. I love NH in the summer time.

Hogtamer
09-10-2014, 05:36 PM
this one had been pig hunting in Mims Co. FLa!

Moondawg
09-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Ah. I apparently missed that. I have heard say we get the occasional gator in my part of Texas but haven't seen one yet.

They do, in creeks and ponds etc., but if you go about a hundred miles south of Gonzales, you may see plenty of them. They are thick close to coast.

dtknowles
09-10-2014, 07:36 PM
When I was working at Kennedy Space Center, when working second shift, I always looked under my car and the one parked on the drivers side before I walked up between them after seeing a tail sticking out one night. Another night driving home just a few hundred yards from the parking lot I was stopped by a gator that stretched across two lanes of the road, at least a 14 footer. He lived in a creek that runs under the road and past the OPF and VAB, I had seen him in the daylight many days. I moved to Louisiana and am still in Gator country. I was fishing from a canoe in a bayou and had one come off the bank and swim our and eat my bobber, I cut the line and let him have it and the rest of the rig. They don't bother me much unless they are big enough to swamp the canoe and they have never come up to the canoe. If I see them when I am on land I give them a wide berth. I have been closer than I prefer on occasion and it will get your heart racing.

Tim

bob208
09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
i say dreage the crossing points on the rio grande and move some gators in. do they like mexican?

Goatwhiskers
09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Dunno if they eat meskin or not. It was claimed after the battle of San Jacinto that the varmints wouldn't eat the meskin bodies 'cause they had too much pepper in 'em. GW

Echo
09-11-2014, 10:32 AM
When I was stationed @Orlando AFB, we lived on a lake (Hourglass Lake). A contractor had a nice house there, and he had built several rent houses that just suited our needs (we only had a baby girl at the time).
Anyway - a gator lived in the lake. We would occasionally see him swimming out there. It was live & let live, until he sunned himself one day, and a neighbors dog came over to investigate. Gators can run fast - the dog, not so much. He munched some, then headed back to the lake, leaving the boxer worse for wear, and the dog's owner with a vet bill. A few days later, another neighbor around the other way on the lake, baited him with a big roast tied out in the water, and shot him. He was 6'11" long - and we had been swimming (baby too!) in the lake.
Carrumba...

JeffinNZ
09-11-2014, 06:35 PM
What are you gunna do with the skin? :twisted:

starnbar
09-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Had one try to climb the 4 foot chain link in the back yard until my son put a 20 gauge hole in him. I called game and fish they came out and carted him off for me he didn't get a dog dinner that night.