PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the Colorado School of Trades gunshop in Denver?

.45Cole
09-09-2014, 12:07 AM
I was going to give them something simple first, cut and install sights on a 1891 Mauser converted to .250 savage. I was hoping somebody could tell me they were great, or horrible, so I could save my money and not have this neat little jewel messed up.

lefty o
09-09-2014, 12:10 AM
im guessing it depends on which student it ends up with, and if they have an instructor helping them.

gkainz
09-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I've used them a few times a number of years ago ... got good results. Can't recall all the things I had done, but do recall getting a barrel blued. I've not heard anything bad about their work recently.

Reg
09-09-2014, 01:31 PM
You must first keep in mind that it is a school and they are students.
Generally work will run from very good to excellent as especially at first they are very carefully watched over and not even allowed to touch a firearm until they show an acceptable skill level.
If you will only be happy with absolutely perfect work that will pass the highest level of scrutiny then perhaps you had better send it to someone like Jerry Fisher.

wcp4570
09-09-2014, 01:54 PM
I had my dad's marlin 36 reblued back in the early 80's by the school when I was living in the Denver area. The work was better than a Winchester model 12 I had done after that by a gunsmith in Texas. The Winchester came back with some of lettering buffed almost away, I was not happy. The old Marlin had nothing buffed out, screw holes or openings messed up, still looks good today. Like others have said here, it depends on the student that does the work. I have another gun that was drilled and taped (not by Colorado School of Trades) for scope mount that was not done correctly and the mount is not parallel to the bore so mounting a scope is useless. Things can go wrong unless you seek out a proven gunsmith.

Before commenting I used the search at the top of the page and searched "Colorado School of Trades" and it returned 131 hits, I didn't read any but there is a good amount of discussion on the forum about them. Good luck on your decision.

wcp

waksupi
09-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I've worked with a couple graduates a lot. Smart cookies, that I would trust with any thing I needed done. YMMV.

.45Cole
09-09-2014, 11:59 PM
I have tried the search and it never actually completed the search. I figured it was the website, but it must be one of my filters. Thanks for the replies.