PDA

View Full Version : Another thread got me thinking about lead hardness testers

bigarm
09-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Didn't want to hijack the other thread. So tell me about lead hardness testers. A little internet search came up with several different models. There is a Lee model which is the cheapest. Buffalo Arms has three different ones - two Cabine Tree (one of which is discontinued) and one by Saeco. And then I found a LBT hardness tester. Have you used any of these? One better than others? Are they worth the money?

waco
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
I've had good luck using art pencils. There is a sticky on the subject in the "lead" section.
They are inexpensive and work well.

RED333
09-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I picked up the older Cabin Tree tester from a member here, works very well for me.

Green Lizzard
09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
i have the lee and the saeco, the lee is best

frnkeore
09-08-2014, 10:00 PM
One that won't cost you more than a single ball bearing of 3/8 to 5/8 inch and a piece of pure lead. It is as accurate (care being taken) as a $2000 labritory tester.

You just take your lead sample that is about 3/4 thick and press the ball between that sample and the alloy you have made up (same approx thickness).

You measure the indents with calipers and then run this calulation:

Divide the pure lead dia. by the alloy dia. You then square that number and mulitply by 5.

Example:

.32/.21 = 1.524, squared = 2.322 X 5 = 11.61 BHN

I learn this in the mid 80's from the book "Cast Bullets" by E. H. Harrison.

Frank

cbrick
09-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Here's some info on BHN testers for you.

Testing The Consistency Of The Commonly Available
Cast Bullet BHN Test Equipment.

http://lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm (http://lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm)

Hope this helps . . .

Rick

fredj338
09-09-2014, 12:44 AM
The lee seems really tedious. The seaco works, but tough to use with all bullets, no ingots. I sold mine & bought the Cabin tree. Works great, any size bullet, ingots too.

leadman
09-09-2014, 03:38 AM
I have seen the LBT work and own the Saeco. The LBT can do some ingots but limited in size. Very easy to use as the boolit sets on the plate so no fumbling with it like the Saeco. The Saeco works good and it does carry a lifetime warranty, just know you have to use a boolit and place it on the proper step in the little window only and do not lose the conversion sheet. The tester reads out in Saeco numbers that you use the sheet to convert to BHN.

If I had to buy one now I would get the LBT and just might order one now!

lotech
09-09-2014, 08:33 AM
While I have nothing to compare it to, I've used the LBT tester for about twenty-five years. Quick, consistent, and a direct reading.

44man
09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
The LBT has to be the easiest ever. It gives a direct reading with no measuring at all. It is not that expensive either.

blackthorn
09-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Another vote for the LBT! I have had mine for about 20 years and it works!! If I had to get something else I think I would try the Cabin Tree, based on what I have read about it.

youngmman
09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I have owned an LBT BHN tester for years and initially had some trouble with it so I sent it back to Veral Smith. He adjusted it for me and then followed up with a call. He explained that any bullet should have a perfectly flat and parallel base and tip trued up with a file before testing.

Following his instructions I have been able to get extremely consistent readings whether with bullets or pieces of ingots. Just make sure the top and bottom of the bullet/ingot or whatever has a flat parallel face on the top and bottom.

mdi
09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I use a Lee tester. I had trouble with the 'scope and it became too tedious for me, so I put it away for several months. I was working on a gun and wearing a magnifying visor (it's a 2.5x) and Eureka! I had an idea. I now use the indent tool from the Lee tester and my visor to see a caliper and measure the indent. Lee's list of indent diameters vs. BHN is still used. I just dent the sample, measure with my dial calipers, and use the chart to figger BHN. For me it's relative. I haven't checked my method against a known BHN sample, but I'm fine with my findings as I'm not in need of exact measurements of bullet hardness. I know that my alloy that reads 12.0 may not be exactly 12.0, but I know that it's softer than my alloy that measures 18.0 BHN, and I'm the only one that uses these alloys...

bigarm
09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the information so far! So some only test bullets and some can test ingots also. Is that correct?

44man
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I have tested ingots with the LBT

1Shirt
09-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Love my Cabin Tree! It is consistent!
1Shirt!

youngmman
09-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Yes, you can test ingots with the LBT Tester but I cut a piece about 1/2" square from the ingot and make sure it has a flat base and top. I file them as with bullets. It just assures there is no play in seating the base of whatever is being tested.

jonk
09-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I for one find the Cabin Tree to be tedious. The piece that the maker does- the bed and screw and such- is great; however, the dial caliper (due to fluctuations in the style that is provided with each tester, depending on what is in stock) is junk, and doesn't line up properly with the center line of the tester, and the whole support arm for it is very rickety and fragile. Rather than a single rod that may or may not bring the dial in line with the test bed, they should simply extend the base of the test bed a few inches, and make a mount for one stock type caliper right in line with the screws.

Sounds confusing but if you have one you should see what I mean.

I honestly use my Lee more often these days.

Walter Laich
09-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Cabin Tree owner here.
pros:
easy to use
big dial for my old eyes.
will do ingots
repeatable results
cons
possibly price (you get what you pay for)
needs care--will rust if not taken care of
everyone who learns I have one asks me to check their alloy--glad to do it as I'm retired and like to give back to fellow casters