PDA

View Full Version : Gibson's Notebook

rjathon
09-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Years ago I read Julian Hatcher's superb "Hatcher's Notebook" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoy Larry Gibson's posts here and it seems to me that he has enough experience and hard won knowledge to write a "Notebook" of his own. If he did I would surely buy one. It would be nice to study his work in one volume as opposed to a little bit at a time thread by thread.

Larry thanks so much for sharing your knowledge here and please write a book!

DR Owl Creek
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I'd buy one of Larry's books too if it was available.

Dave

jakec
09-08-2014, 02:19 PM
me too. theres a few guys on here i would buy their books if they would write one.

TJF1
09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
i would also
terry

Echo
09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Me too!

Artful
09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd be up for a copy as well - autographed by the author of course

Digger
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
I am in ...... but how do we get Larry to write it ??

Jupiter7
09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
I am in ...... but how do we get Larry to write it ??
Easy enough, we trick him. We pose the right questions as a set up, he'll write it one good post at a time.

chsparkman
09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
That would be worth more than most others on the subject. Do it Larry!

woodbutcher
09-08-2014, 07:50 PM
:-) Uhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Look out Larry.Me thinks that you are about to get blindsided.:roll: Hehehe.I would buy that book also.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jonp
09-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I am in on this too. Larry has been good enough to take the time to respond to a few pm's of mine and has helped me a great deal.

Love Life
09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
When Larry "Speaks" on here, I listen.

oldfart1956
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM
It would save me a bunch of hunting for articles and then printing them off myself. Every time I have to re-learn how to do that copy/paste/scan stuff. I have 2 copies of his Smokeless loads for Trapdoors, and one saved in the computer. C'mon Larry! Audie...the Oldfart..

MrWolf
09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Count me in. He has offered me advise in the past which I followed and I value his opinion.

lreed
09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I have often considered trying to grab bits of info from this site,printing for reference,saves much time over search.Mr Gibson is one of several that I would buy a "this how I do it" guide.Lots of info here,I read it and then can never find bits of info that I need! I'm down for a copy! lreed

Landshark9025
09-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Yep, me too. Larry, Leadman, Bullshop. Shoot, there's a YouTube channel right there. Film it in some diner. Just eaves drop on the conversation while they all go toe to toe with biscuits and gravy.

leeggen
09-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Now where is Larry so someone can record him and publish a notebook for all to read??? I'd be up for a copy also.
CD

SSGOldfart
09-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm in for Larry's and Ben's both share a great deal on this forum

Janoosh
09-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Ben's would definitely be a photo essay. Always great photos there with commentary.

muskeg13
09-09-2014, 03:00 AM
I'd buy one too. Being "old school" means too much is missed when the information is only documented one post at the time. "Searches" are most often too narrow in scope, meaning too much closely related useful material is lost "out in the ether." It would be much better to have the wisdom documented in one place, like somewhere on the bookshelf over my reloading bench.

xs11jack
09-09-2014, 03:03 AM
Count me in!
Ole Jack

Ghost101
09-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Sign me up for a couple books and the video series. Larry has always been there to help me with answers to my problems or just thoughts. We need to have his work put down on paper an video, not just for us but for the future boolit musketeers that will come later.

Ghost101

Thanks Larry for all the Help !

ubetcha
09-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Didn't Larry just have a PDF file or an article about a " this is how I do it" about something? I have a print out at home. Not there right now.

GhostHawk
09-09-2014, 07:39 AM
+1

Would love to see anything put together by him.

floydboy
09-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm in....

Floyd

lbaize3
09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Larry, write a book! I'll buy it!

BKB
09-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I clicked on the thread to find out where to get it, so if it gets written I'm in!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I've often though it'd be nice to have some "paper" copies of some of the threads and stickies ...Heck, many of us are one 'glitch' away from not being able to access castboolits, or at least I am.

It's all here, easy to make a 'booklet", just a little searching and then cut and paste and save ...sort it out, make a index, print it off and have it bound at the print shop with their cookbook binder tool (actually I have one of those) ALL for personal use only, Of course.

No need for waiting for a member to do all that work for you, RIGHT ?
Jon

JWFilips
09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
I know I for one have gleaned a good deal of written knowledge from the "special ones" on this site and have built up my Cast Boolit e-Library on my computer (& it's back ups!)

One real problem is: if Larry is busy writing a book...... we may loose out in his knowledgable responses in our day to day threads! Now we wouldn't want that would we ? :mrgreen:

P.S. Seems like many of our "knowledgeable ones are growing quiet recently :(

dsbock
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I'd be interested in a book by Larry Gibson. Perhaps he could put together something in the format of "From Ingot to Target." I would volunteer to help with the document design and layout whether for print or electronic distribution.

David

ubetcha
09-09-2014, 08:47 PM
The article I was thinking of was by C Graf. Is that cbrick or char-gar ?

Jeff R
09-09-2014, 09:35 PM
When Larry posts, I pay attention. Even if his book was only two or three hundred pages, i'd buy two.

Jeff

oldfart1956
09-09-2014, 09:37 PM
For those looking for Larrys article on the 45/70 type My Trapdoor Loads, Techniques and Equipment into the search function. Not only is it a goldmine for trapdoors it's an excellent article for anyone loading 45/70. I'd love to see this a sticky. Perhaps with a bit of help...eh? And this is only the tip of the iceberg on Larrys writing. Audie....the Oldfart..

runfiverun
09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
if you go to his page here you can search all of his [and his friends posts] back until your eyeballs burn out.

Bzcraig
09-10-2014, 12:41 AM
I'd be in on one too but who's gonna to convince him?

35 shooter
09-10-2014, 01:43 AM
The man is definitly a walking, talking, breathing encyclopedia on the subject of cast boolits. He could easily write a book worthy of anyone's library. Were fortunate to have folks such as him here!

MtGun44
09-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Hmm. I take note that the object of all the discussion is conspicuously absent
from posting on the subject of writing a book.

Methinks he is speaking loudly by not speaking at all.

I would buy a book that he put out, but he may have other things in mind.

Bill

waco
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Hmm. I take note that the object of all the discussion is conspicuously absent
from posting on the subject of writing a book.

I would buy a book that he put out, but he may have other things in mind.

Bill
Like an instructional DVD?!!
:kidding:

jakec
09-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Bill

me too.

nagantguy
09-10-2014, 09:12 AM
I'll act as his agent and editor, if he writes it and if he asks me that is if he even likes me or the idea of becoming an author. Either way I'd buy one.

DeanWinchester
09-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I find it interesting that he has yet to respond to this thread. I highly doubt it's escaped his notice. It may be indicative of his willingness to commit to such a project??

Jack Stanley
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Just remember , if you guys are going to trick him into this just make sure he gets the royalty fee for each copy huh?

I'm with the rest of you though I'd like a hard cover edition .... might I recommend Wolfe publishing .

And Larry , thanks for your knowledge

Jack

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Guys,,, What you are not considering is exactly what it takes to publish a book of any kind.

I have been pestering Brian Pearce to do a book of complied articles he has written for Rifle and Handloader magazines, similar to what Mike Venturino does with his articles on old guns etc.

Since he has all the articles in hand all that has to happen is putting them into some kind of order and then getting Wolfe Publishing to print the thing.

It is a much bigger job than any of you can imagine, and it hasn't happened yet.

In Larry's case he has the data but it is not all compiled in a useable format, so the job is much bigger. Also in his case he'd have to pay for the printing of that book up front which would be a significant out of pocket expense.

Another way might be for people to use the search function to find posts that Larry has written on various subjects.

I have actually had people PM me to tell me they have done this to find posts I have written, but my expertise is more centered around Machine Shop Experiences, as opposed to Larry's extensive ballistics experience.

I know everybody is well intentioned here, but you are asking him to build the Queen Mary,,, by himself, and pay for it too.

It is no small task to write a book and that's why they get the big $ for doing it.

O'Reilly makes more on his book sales than he gets paid from Fox. And he donates all of the net proceeds from those books to charity,,,, Which helps offset the taxes on his salary.

Randy

rjathon
09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Actually self publishing is easy to do. One does not need a publisher like Wolfe or Petersons. Websites like Blurb have templates where you type in text and insert pictures. Upload it and you are done. People who want copies can click on a link and buy a book. No investment, no publisher needed.

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I will look at that myself. Blurb? Blurb.com? are these free services?....

Time passes,,,,,

OK: I looked at it at Blurb.com and this is cool.[smilie=w:

I have been wanting to do a book on setting up and running a Bridgeport Mill that I am some what knowledgeable about.

Also a book on My Jeep Project which is on another website.

Thanks for the heads up on the website. Very cool!!!!

Randy

square butte
09-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Who's gonna twist his arm??

bnelson06
09-10-2014, 06:46 PM
We have to get him to reply first :)

waksupi
09-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Y'all are standing back, willing to hold Larry's coat. Someone go through his posts, put them together, and ask questions to fill in the holes.

DeanWinchester
09-10-2014, 08:37 PM
^^^^
...and the gauntlet has been thrown down!

bbqncigars
09-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Don't forget Kickstarter. I've funded a few of those.

leeggen
09-10-2014, 11:58 PM
I think Larry is being very smart in not surfaceing to answer us! Between Larry's threads and Felix's threads most all questions about cast boolits would be answered. Also one would use up a couple cases of copy paper.
CD

Pinsnscrews
09-11-2014, 12:52 AM
I will look at that myself. Blurb? Blurb.com? are these free services?....

Time passes,,,,,

OK: I looked at it at Blurb.com and this is cool.[smilie=w:

I have been wanting to do a book on setting up and running a Bridgeport Mill that I am some what knowledgeable about.

Also a book on My Jeep Project which is on another website.

Thanks for the heads up on the website. Very cool!!!!

Randy

There are a number of Online Publishing houses that allow you to "Plug and Play" your book. Some of those Publishers are also connected to Amazon/Barnes & Noble etc to get your written product into more hands.
There is also Software (http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php) specially designed for the Writer/Author. This software allows you to work in sections and put together the final product.

But NONE of this means anything if you do not have the time to commit to such an endeavor. It is all fine and dandy for those of us who Crave the knowledge, and we want it as soon as possible. I have come to know a number of authors who make their living writing various forms of Fiction. These are people who STRIVE to write 5-10K words every night after their day jobs. About 1/4 of them are also their own publishers using the online publishing houses. A couple actually work day jobs as Technical Writers for manuals on Industrial or Medical hardware/software. (YES, those couple are INSANE) There are even a couple of them who make their living as FULL TIME authors under multiple pen names, for multiple different genre. They spend half their day writing on one project, and editing the next book to go out.

My point? Writing with the intent to provide a Solid, Complete, Coherent, Flowing book to have to market within a reasonable time frame is a Serious Challenge. Even as prolific a writer as Larry is, unless he already has a plan laid out, subject matter already written out for reference to work from. As a "No Pressure, Hobby Book" I would honestly think it would be a good 5 year project.

Yes, it can be done in less. Yes there are hobbyists who have published books with good information for what they covered in less time. I have a few of those books. The information is good, but the Scope of the subject matter is limited. What you are asking from Larry is a Large Scope project.

If You REALLY want to show him how serious you are, Set up a Kickstarter.org fund for him. With his permission of course. That would give him the basic funds to get the software to help him get this project organized properly, pay for a GOOD editor when he is done and make it possible to help offset time he will lose from what ever projects he has going that he will need to set aside.

Not playing De...well, yes, I am. I just want to give you some idea of what I know from my experience dealing with authors the last several years.

Larry Gibson
09-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Sorry guys but I've been out of the net with family for this past week and will be through Saturday. Just been able to barely take a peek at the forum on the smart phone when the Boss isn't looking.......I really appreciate the support here in this thread and all the kind comments here and in other threads regarding me writing a book. I have been considering doing that but having never written a book or had any experience with that it seems like a daunting project. However, with the help here I will begin the project. I will also write/rewrite some posts/articles for posting here in CASTPICs. Again, thanks for all the comment, support and suggestions.

Larry Gibson

nagantguy
09-11-2014, 10:00 AM
And the man has spoken; that is great news. Thank you from all of us!¡

dsbock
09-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Larry,

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would be happy to do the document layout part. All you need to do is get me the text and graphic content. I would email you a PDF for review.

Once the content was finalized, the book could be distributed for print or electronic viewing as people see fit.

Let me know if I can help.

David

BruceB
09-11-2014, 05:55 PM
First, I'm fully in support of publishing Larry's works.

Second....

There have been many successful books published, which are simply the collected writings of the author from various other places.

For example, Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton come to mind. Pretty decent company, I'd say.

ubetcha
09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Ed Harris has also been ask to write a book on his findings . If I recall, his has given his consent if some one is willing to do the leg work per se ( spelling?). He also stated that any proceeds from the book will go to the CBA. Many knowlegable people have contribute their years of testing for us to research. I truly thank them all.

jonp
09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Larry,

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would be happy to do the document layout part. All you need to do is get me the text and graphic content. I would email you a PDF for review.

Once the content was finalized, the book could be distributed for print or electronic viewing as people see fit.

Let me know if I can help.

David

My sweetie worked for a magazine publisher for quite a while. I may be able to twist her arm into helping out.

smoked turkey
09-11-2014, 08:47 PM
This is great news. This place has so many knowledgeable people that it is mind boggling. When compared to digital format, I much prefer the printed page for technical information.

Digger
09-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Outstanding Mr. Gibson !!!! ... from one who has benefited from your input ..

1Shirt
09-14-2014, 11:17 AM
There will never be to much written about guns, ammo, reloading etc. Each author, in all probability repeats a fair amount of what previous authors have written, but often in a different style. So much the better in my opinion, as some authors are easier to read than others. Personal accounts by various authors are gold to me, and more than likely to many others as well. The writings of some authors speak differently to different backgrounded readers. Go to it Larry, and good luck!
1Shirt!

pworley1
09-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Put me down for one.

NYBushBro
09-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Sorry guys but I've been out of the net with family for this past week and will be through Saturday. Just been able to barely take a peek at the forum on the smart phone when the Boss isn't looking.......I really appreciate the support here in this thread and all the kind comments here and in other threads regarding me writing a book. I have been considering doing that but having never written a book or had any experience with that it seems like a daunting project. However, with the help here I will begin the project. I will also write/rewrite some posts/articles for posting here in CASTPICs. Again, thanks for all the comment, support and suggestions.

Larry Gibson

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to more on this project.

DR Owl Creek
09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I too prefer to read technical information from an actual printed book, but I would be quite happy with Larry's book on an "e-book" type format, or even in PDF format like Glenn's book on the LASC site. If someone wants to start a fund to help cover the costs of publishing, I would contribute money to help get it started.

Dave

starmac
09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
WARNING for those that want to trick or twist Larrys arm, I have heard he has a gun and might even know how to use it. I would however gladly pay for one if it were to become reality. I probably seek out his post more than any others.

Patricklaw
09-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Ditto. Count me in.

shredder
09-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Well, we all know what we want!!! I would love to be able to compile all the knowledge here on this site into an encyclopedia of cast boolit info. Oh wait, it's all here! Search....

I would buy Larry's book too if it ever happens.

Cowboy_Dan
09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I am/was a certified writing consultant. If Larry wants it, I can offer my help. All I ask in return is a discounted copy. :2_high5:

MTtimberline
12-25-2021, 03:55 AM
Bringing this one back from the dead as I am still waiting on the finished product.

Bloodman14
12-25-2021, 08:40 AM
ABSOLUTELY!! DAMNED STRAIGHT!! And all other invectives I can think of! Mr. Gibson, Ben, Hickory, and a whole bunch of others; put a book together and put me on the list of guaranteed buyers!!

toallmy
12-25-2021, 09:17 AM
Thanks to Cast Boollits and it's wonderful members , I think the book has already been written .

square butte
12-25-2021, 09:19 AM
A Gibson's Notes for sure - Outpost75 is also on my list for a book of compiled works

brass410
12-25-2021, 09:57 AM
I'm in for one ! Gitter done. If the knowledge goes to the grave nobody can access it (like a library burning down)

15meter
12-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Curious, is there is a way to just sort and print one person's posts?

Nice if it could be sorted by thread, print all posts from one person on a single thread, move on to the next and repeat. Instant chapters.

Relational database, I would think it's possible. Having the privledges granted to us peons is probably not the best idea.

Back 30 years ago when I dabbled (slightly) with SPC databases, too much ability to slice and dice usually resulted in a blown up database.

Maybe a mod could do it and create a separate thread--"Collected writings of xxxxxx".

Sounds like a potential award winning sticky.

Just random mutterings of an old guy.

Electrod47
12-25-2021, 02:12 PM
The man from Havasu is the star of the show around here. I can't wait to see his comments on threads.

slim1836
12-25-2021, 03:08 PM
Agree with all the above, Git-R-Done.

Slim

15meter
04-18-2022, 06:56 PM

Nice if it could be sorted by thread, print all posts from one person on a single thread, move on to the next and repeat. Instant chapters.

Relational database, I would think it's possible. Having the privledges granted to us peons is probably not the best idea.

Back 30 years ago when I dabbled (slightly) with SPC databases, too much ability to slice and dice usually resulted in a blown up database.

Maybe a mod could do it and create a separate thread--"Collected writings of xxxxxx".

Still think this is a good idea if it is indeed possible.

Dieselhorses
04-18-2022, 07:20 PM
LG isn't going to even think about publishing anything until he gets "500 pre-orders" lol. I know that's how I'd do it. So, here's my "pre-order"!

GLynn41
04-18-2022, 07:27 PM
I go with this. I try to always read his posts

Bazoo
04-18-2022, 07:38 PM
I too will purchase one. And that’s saying something cause I’m mighty stingy.

Schreck5
04-18-2022, 08:08 PM
Count me in!

Earl54
05-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Count me in also.

hc18flyer
05-05-2022, 01:15 PM
Me too!

JoeJames
05-05-2022, 03:53 PM
Same here!

whisler
05-05-2022, 07:42 PM
I would buy it.

dmitch
05-05-2022, 10:30 PM
I'm in for a copy !

arlon
05-06-2022, 01:03 AM
Simply notes sorted by caliber and gun, I'd be in. I've learned more from Larry than any other single source I can think of.

trapper9260
05-06-2022, 05:44 AM
I be in on it , like for him to sign it also .He went out of his way to help me on some things that I was have problems with. Thanks Larry .

Half Dog
05-06-2022, 07:01 AM
This sounds like a group buy. I’m in and I would also like it signed.

square butte
05-06-2022, 07:23 AM
Larry's last post on this matter was in 2014 - I wouldn't count on anything soonish, as much as i would love this

GhostHawk
05-06-2022, 09:20 AM
Count me in for a pre order. Price is no object.

Hickok
05-06-2022, 09:29 AM
It would equivalent to "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters!

Yes, I would buy a copy!

Grayone
05-06-2022, 09:49 AM

Larry Gibson

Thank you Mr. Gibson, this is more than generous. It is passing on valuable knowledge for posterity.

brass410
05-06-2022, 06:31 PM
Please do not let this library of knowledge close its doors before it has a printed page,to often it happens, and the knowledge is lost forever. Do not underestimate your writing skills (we dont mind grammer mistakes just look at some of the posts I make) just start we are all waiting with held breaths MR Gibson I will certainly be purchasing a couple of copies.

44Blam
05-06-2022, 11:06 PM
I'm in!

farmerjim
05-07-2022, 07:52 AM
I am in for one. Will pay in advance if needed.

Alstep
05-07-2022, 01:58 PM
Looking forward to your notes & experiences too.

Silvercreek Farmer
05-07-2022, 06:11 PM
I’m in…

15meter
05-07-2022, 09:32 PM

Still have those silly random mutterings of an old guy:popcorn: