PDA

View Full Version : how to test lead for hardness when buying unknown

edadmartin
09-08-2014, 12:03 PM
For a couple months now I've been purchasing lead ingots from online sources, and yesterday a friend gave me 55 ingots from his dad who passed last year .most online vendors have indicated what the make up is, but Id like to know for certain.Some vendors say ww only,but how do I verify it? My thought was to re pour a combination of say soft lead with Linotype etc to get a hardness desired. Problem is I really dont known what I have,except for the linotype spacers. so how do you test ingots to determine hardness? Ive seen the $60.00 testers but think there must be a DIY method ??? any links to info appreciated.

quilbilly
09-08-2014, 12:12 PM
A couple things I do with unknown lead alloys is first drop an ingot on concrete and listen to the sound whether a clink or thump. If a thump, it is soft lead. If a clink, I do the fingernail scratch test - if it scratches easily, it is fairly soft and probably shootable as is. Finally, if it doesn't scratch easily, I will melt a little and pour a sheet about the thickness of a framing nail then try to bend - if it doesn't bend I will cut it some with pure lead to soften it. This same test is what I use when I am casting fishing jigs that need to be bendable.

Yodogsandman
09-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Check the sub-forum on "Lead and Lead Alloys" for harness testers and reviews. The cheapest is the pencil test.

Buy from known and trusted sources if you can. Try the "Swappin & Sellin" sub-forum. Some members have sold cleaned ingots for many years with happy customers.

bangerjim
09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but being "lino spacers" means absolutely nothing! Other than "I've got lead". I have them that range from 10 to 22 hardness. Depends on who made them and from what. If you are lucky and the shop used pure lino, you are fortunate. You need a Cabine tester to know for sure.

If you really want to know......buy one. I do not look back after getting mine after messing around with other methods and the Lee microscope thing. Cabine is fast, easy and tests almost any shape of lead "thing". They cost a whole bunch more than just $60!

For a poor-man's SWAG test, check out the thread on here how to use Mars Staedtler (ONLY!!) artist pencils. Do not use cheap ones. Mars are consistent and the standard.

I test ingots, scrap, plates, hunks, boolits, and every other shape you can think of using my Cabine tester. It is portable and I can take it to the scrap yards with me! It allows you to rapidly and accurately test any shape.

good luck.

bangerjim