PDA

View Full Version : Hole Gage instead of pin guage

Bzcraig
09-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Called a buddy who's an auto mechanic to see if he had a pin gauge set I could borrow to check the throats of my new GP100. He did but gave me a set of hole gages to use instead. Granted I had to use the sense of feel to check resistance of each hole but anyone think this isn't a good enough method of measuring?

Big Rack
09-07-2014, 01:50 PM
It is if you have the right feel, nice thing about pins with the exception of dirt and burrs they either go or don't.

WallyM3
09-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Actually, you have two "feels" to interpret. The first is gaging the throat with the hole gage, the second is measuring that result.

Char-Gar
09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I bought my first Starrett adjustable hole gage in 1970. This are what machinists used before the advent of cheap Asian pin gages. Most still use them. I can get repeatable and accurate measurement +- .0001, which is all the accuracy I can use.

Yes, I do have a high end Starrett micrometer that measure .0001

It does require a certain feel, but so do most precision measuring instruments. It is like riding a bicycle, once you develop the feel, it never goes away.

When using these on cylinder throats you need to clean the throats down to the steel as you can sure measure lead wash and powder residue.