PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

Phineas Bluster
09-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Deleted

quack1
09-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Labs seem happiest when they are carrying something in their mouth. Or eating. Probably a tossup between the two.

histed
09-06-2014, 08:19 PM
If Labs were Marines... Made me smile. Cute pup

starmac
09-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I had to laugh at a black lab pup yesterday. Two kids and their dog was walking along a road job, the dog grabbed one of the cut stakes and pulled it up and carried it with him. He thought he had done found a fancy stick, even had a ribbon tied on it. lol

Bad Water Bill
09-06-2014, 10:13 PM
A young man down the street has a black lab.

The dog leaves the house and cruises till he finds a stick.

After that he proudly walks at his masters leg with the stick LOCKED in his mouth till they get home again.

Great caring snuggle pups even if they weigh over 100#.:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
09-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Misty would cram tennis balls in her mouth, often had 3 in there then trotted around showing them off. She always had them near her.

Garyshome
09-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Good dog!

MOcaster
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM
He was behind the middle bush...

nvbirdman
09-07-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a mostly black lab that caught a quail once. She proudly trotted down to the mailbox (1/4 mile each way) and back with me holding that bird in her mouth the whole time.

leftiye
09-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Shepherds will sometimes do that with cats.

Bad Water Bill
09-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Shepherds will sometimes do that with cats.

Coyotes consider them a delicacy as well.

YES we have coyotes near me.

No I have not seen a stray cat in several years and the birds are happier now.

smokeywolf
09-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Love dogs, cats, horses and most critters. Never had a lab, but I know they are certainly one of the best all-round dogs to own or be owned by. We've gotten hooked on wolfdogs over the last 20 years. Wolf/Malamute works very well as long as the there is more Mal than Wolf; they've come to be known as "Wolamutes".

One thing about Labs or any other working dog. Heaven help you if don't make the time to burn the energy out of them every day. They're working dogs and need to be worked or played with (they don't know the difference) every day.

Another thing people don't consider when adopting a partner or playmate. Most dogs are very social and need to be with their people ALL the time. When left alone for hours or for some much less, they feel as though there being punished. It's the equivalent to the Amish practice of shunning.

Imagine humans having had to survive all these years without dogs or horses.

Thanks for this thread Phineas. Never tire of threads about pets. We love our cats that hunt, our dogs who hunt with us and our horses who transport us and our gear.

smokeywolf

375supermag
09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
My black Lab is pushing 13 years old.
He is into eating and sleeping...mostly sleeping.

My wife, after 12 years of feeding him and his female litter mate(died 2 years ago), nothing but dry food and meat scraps), has taken to giving him a can of Alpo once a day. He never had a set feeding time, there was always dry food in the bowl, but once she started giving him the Alpo at 7:30PM every day, he learned to tell time very well.

He can be sound asleep and at 7:30PM, he jumps awake and starts pushing our arms and legs with his muzzle until one of us (read: me) gets up and opens his can of Alpo. Yeah...he isn't too spoiled and he has trained us well. And we have accepted our fate as his wait staff.

He no longer wants to chase a ball or carry a stick around, either. The only thing he carries in his mouth is a biscuit...just long enough to find a favorite spot to eat it.

WILCO
09-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Great picture. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing this.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2014, 09:25 AM
My family had a Black Lab when I was a Kid, we lived on a lake, had a dock and boats and such. When we got 'Lady', while standing on the dock, I teased her to "get the fish", you could see sunnies swimming in the shallow water near the shade of the boats. One day Lady had enough of the teasing and jumped in...that began a quest that lasted years...She would stand in the water up to her belly walking back and forth behind the back of the floating boats. She'd dunk her whole head everytime she'd see a fish. She never caught a fish...but she never stopped "fishing". Yes, that means she was rarely ever dry. A smelly dog, but a treasured memory.

cbrick
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM
If someone knocks on the door or she hears something outside at night my coon dog woofs a warning but then instead of protecting me or the homestead runs and gets her rawhide bone to protect that. She just can't risk someone (or something) getting in to take something that valuable.

She eats at 5:00 every afternoon and everyday at 4:00 she starts telling me it's 5:00.

In the winter when she gets up off her memory foam mattress, goes outside to do her business when she comes back in she heads straight for her favorite winter time place. First thing in the morning there is no fire and she sits in front of the fireplace woofing at it & telling it to start up. Once there is a fire that's her spot for the day.

Rick

gray wolf
09-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Not to say that sticks are not important, But we see it a little differently.
We think---
eat --Moose meat + BIG bone = YUMMY
sleep -- Yup I sleep good, especially when I am in Dads favorite place.
sniff -- OK, satisfied ? it's me
And then stick

osteodoc08
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
My black lab is pushing 15. Her muzzle is now white. She gets up with a groan and I can tell her hips have been bothering her more and more. But she is still the greatest companion (dog wise) I've ever had. I've been thinking about picking up a puppy so that she can teach them the ropes, but it's gonna be hard to train the lil pup time wise with work and having a new son due next week. I hope she can hold out a few more years.

tygar
09-07-2014, 11:28 AM

LOL Semper Fi Devil Dog

DeputyDog25
09-07-2014, 11:30 AM
I really liked the picture. I hope you don't mind but I copied it and saved it as my desktop background.

RLJ1960
11-15-2015, 07:29 PM
He's a good dog!

shaper
11-16-2015, 12:40 AM
We have 2 dogs. Mine is a mix breed. His mother was a short black lab. His father didn't stay around to show his linage. We, and the vet, think he was Basset hound and Australian Shepard. He is 97 pounds of wet tongue and is a happy dog. My wife's dog is a Scottie. They don't normally live more than 12 years but this girl is now 13 and puts the other dog in his place. She also has so many allergies that the wife has to cook all of her food. Their dinner time is 5:00. At 4:00 both dogs are sitting like two statutes in front of my wife. You can barely see them breath as they stare at the wife. At 4:15 the Scottie starts doing a sigh, barely audible. By 4:30 she starts yelling at the wife until she gets up and heads for the kitchen. Once in the kitchen each dog lays in the doorway to the dining room and the outside. No one can get into or out of the kitchen until their bowls are filled.
My wife goes back to watch the news. When they finish eating my dog comes into the living room and kisses the wife's hand and tries to get in her lap. He can't make it because of his short legs, that's why I named him Stubby.
What would we all do without our dogs.

ez4545
11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
I lost my border collie friend to old age last year. She was 16. She sure did like to sing. The picture is almost 10 years old now.

The guitar I've had since 1967. For those interested it is a 1928 dobro and one of the rare ones with a traceable serial #

We were doing our version of Elvis Presley's version of Big Mama Thornton's version of Hound Dog.

You aint nothin but a hound dog

She was so funny I would just lose it in the middle of our "performance" and start laughing

GOOD TIMES

FISH4BUGS
11-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Black Labs Matter

ez4545
11-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Black Labs Matter

I was in need of a good laugh today.......... That is just too funny !

snuffy
11-16-2015, 11:54 PM
vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sendmessage.php)

Sure wish I could see the picture! Who's the administrator (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sendmessage.php)??żż

Rufus Krile
11-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Sticks are for sissies...153527

scarry scarney
11-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Not that my dog (passed a little more than two years ago) was spoiled, but when we bought our last car, the wife made sure he had his own seat?153676

We (me anyway) are ready for another dog to be part of the family.

Freightman
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Mine may be short but can catch her prize!

Harter66
11-19-2015, 01:18 PM
I have a Rottshort hair pointer ........ maybe a German short wieler....

She's not much of a stickler for dinner time but she will absolutely have at least 10 min of running for Poppa time every night and there is no staying up late on Friday night ,830 is bed time . She will worry you to death from 815 till 905 to go to bed .

She doesn't like "the collar" but she was a willful 1. Now we get along just fine .

Almost killed me when I lost the Spingweiler before her , retrieving fool that 1 was . This 1 is more a "this is my pack but that is MY human and I know if I don't share him ....." .

There's a very friendly lab up the street . He drops by has a scratch and a rub and is off unless you have a stick or anything wood . He will steal it and run to the master heel position and lock in matching step and stride .

DCP
11-19-2015, 02:50 PM
What a great thread. I miss you Angel. (Once in a life time)

scarry scarney
11-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Cute photo. Thank you for "fixin it."

Doggonekid
12-03-2015, 01:11 AM
My favorite family pet a Labrador. Nothing quite like having ten lab puppies at once.