PDA

View Full Version : New member with a couple questions

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey guys, I see a few people here from over at GB, but this looks like an even more informative source for cast boolit questions. How much does it cost to get into this game? I've done all of my own reloading for about 20 years (I'm 28 now, dad started me young...) and realize all of the potential gains from doing it, not to mention the addiction. :) I have a .357 Max barrel for my Encore that I'd like to run 180-210 gr. cast bullets through for deer hunting, but I'd love to make my own eventually. I've used some of Lloyd Smale's bullets in my .454 Casull with fantastic results, not to mention commercial quality bullets from Lloyd. So if making them that well is possible, what does it take to do it? Just curious, I'm a newbie!
Selmer

Scrounger
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Start small, grow/change as you learn and see fit.

1. A mold in whatever caliber you want. Lee molds run you $20-$25 for 2 cavity molds. Lyman/RCBS will run you about $50 but there are some great deals from the guys here at times, on new and used molds, and there's nothing wrong with used molds that are taken care off, they don't wear out.

2.Most guys buy an RCBS or Lyman Lubrisizer, $100 to $150 new, maybe half that used. Some of us prefer The Lee Sizer which costs about $15. It does as good a job but it's messier. Keep reading the forum, you'll hear lots of arguments both ways.

3. Something to melt the lead. Top of the line is the $300 RCBS melter. The other companies have cheaper models, running all the way down to the $30 level. I suggest a cast iron pan or skillet on the household cook stove (If you have your wife properly trained), or on a camp stove or burn if she is in command.

So you see you can spend a lot of money and eventually probably will, but for now I suggest just sticking your toe in the water. The cast iron skillet from a garage sale, a Lee mold and sizer, about $50 in total. Enough to get started. Consider that equipment expendable or get 50% back when you sell it because you either quit or want to upgrade. Figure out what caliber you want to begin with and ask the guys for mold and diameter recommendations.

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, that sounds encouraging. I thought I would be out several hundred to get started, and I'm sure I can spend that. I'll have to spend some time looking and reading, then trying to buy used stuff.
Selmerfan