PDA

View Full Version : Doves, Insane Clown Posse, and Belle

ohland
09-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Today we left later and got over to the farm about 0700. Had along an old family friend (knew my dad before I was born!) and he brought his small dog. Sort of a floor mop in my opinion. He used to run Vislas before he got too busted up....

Belle got out at the farm and stayed mostly close while we unpacked the Rogue. Then I called her to follow me up the hill to our stand. She came up and I started to setup my chair, ground blind, water dish, and rain jacket top with a thick towel over it. The hell my Brittany will sit on the cold wet ground for hours. Woodcock season is getting near and she will be totally wet, so much so, her nose will loose the black ring. All pink. To those never having a Brittany, they love to snuffle and get dirt on their nose. I have pictures with her nose totally black...

Old man staggered up, set up the decoys on the ground and four up in a small walnut that the doves often perch in... It is close enough that we can shoot the doves out of the tree... I set up the two Mojos and turned them on. Our compadre sat behind us, so we had about 300 degrees of visibility...

Birds came in singles, pairs, and threes. No big flocks and heavy shooting like last year. The cold fronts are due in, which might bring more in. Belle got to watch the Insane Clown Posse miss a few more than we hit. Good thing she can't talk, because it would be damaging to my self-image.

Shooting was not bad, slow but birds in no more than 15-20 minutes apart. Belle saw most of the hit birds fall and she was quick to go when we told her to go. She did not take off until told. After one clown circus performance (missing 4 or 5 birds straight), we finally downed a bird. I had to tell Belle Dead Bird and Get It, then had to get the old retrobate to head out so she would go out. I like where we set up because it is on a hill in a pasture... She can see most of them go down, and about 2/3rds of them fall in the pasture, the rest in a grassy opening with Walnut trees.

She did get a bit hesitant when we went out to pick up a dove from next to that small walnut. More doves came in and I snapped off a shot. She slowed way down and looked like she wanted to go back to our stand. After that, we stopped shooting before she retrieved a bird. No problems after that. Got to listen to your dog.

We removed 14 stupid doves from the gene pool. Probably missed that many. Good day for her, many strong retrieves, no long loops, definitely NOT gunshy. She sits right next to me on the towel until something looks like it is coming down. The old retrobate missed a dove twice, she busted out to get it, then came right back on her own after the dove kept flying off. If she had thumbs, I bet she would have said "give me the gun, go back to the truck, and I'll be back when I'm done"...

Burned through a box with a SxS and spread out bird action. Enough to keep her interested, but not so much she would be rushing about so much that she would be loosing birds or getting so wound up and running wild. Good day, Belle had enough to do to keep busy, most birds were easy finds, and she was able to come back to me with a bird if something didn't work out while she was out at the fence with the old retrobate.

MaryB
09-06-2014, 10:53 PM
nice hunting, I like it slow and easy instead of frantic like 2 years ago when we flushed 50 pheasants from the end of the corn field. 6 people shooting, 9 downed birds, one lab looking at my brothers with a what the heck do I do now expression. We walked him one by one to near where the birds dropped then he found them.

silverado
09-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Judging by the title of this thread, it seems you like terrible music... but that is not the point of this forum!!!!!!!! haha just pulling your chain.... glad you enjoyed the hunt!!!!!

ohland
09-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Same spot again today, doves were very scarce. Some truly horrid shooting. Old retrobate got two doves and what impressed me, one pigeon (!). I managed to eliminate one dove. Not a lot of Outdoor Channel feats of marksmanship... It slowed way down, so much so that Belle wandered out in front of us at least twice to look at bugs. I Shiite you not.

We finally called it @10AM, and I decided to take the little one out so she could get in her run. End up with one good thing... Except the old retrobate and myself got distracted, and she decided to DO something. She drifted off, and was two gullies away (down the valley...). Some doves came in, the old man pulled the trigger and made some crazy sound, then the little one stopped, turned around, and came back at speed #2. Speed #1 is reserved for almost flat to the ground running. Moral of the story - don't let your Brittany get really bored and forget about her....

Stopped at Orfordville and picked up a pound of sliced turkey and shared it with the two big eyed animals in the car. One day I hope to get the sliced roast beef - to die for! Roast beef comes in Tuesday and goes quickly. Begs the question - why don't they order more?

:veryconfu

ohland
09-07-2014, 06:14 PM
it seems you like terrible music...

Quite honestly, I believe that I have NEVER listened to the musical ensemble known as ICP. But if you ever saw us shoot, you would think at times that we were insane... or a clown act... Think of it - ICP conjures up images of the outcasts of society much better than a Bach orchestra...

leeggen
09-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I do believe doves can jump the shot when shot at. You know like a deer jumps the bow string. They seem to be able to turn as fast as a humming bird. But lots of fun to hunt.
CD

dragon813gt
09-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Please tell me you are not a Juggalo. That's the last thing the shooting community needs. Run a search for"American Juggalo" and watch the documentary on Vimeo and you will understand why I made that statement.

Tactical Lever
09-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Please tell me you are not a Juggalo. That's the last thing the shooting community needs. Run a search for"American Juggalo" and watch the documentary on Vimeo and you will understand why I made that statement.

I sure hope the members here are little beyond that. The OP can type and spell like a real person, so I have hope for him!;-)