PDA

View Full Version : How much variance in boolit weight?

mtgrs737
01-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I am using two Lee six cavity moulds to cast 45 cal. 200 gr. SWC boolits form my 45 acp. Using the lead from the same pot full I am getting a maximum of 2.5 grs. variation in weight and a variation in OAL of up to .008". I do not know what part of the boolit the length variation is comming from but that may not be a factor anyway as the cartridge does not chamber on the boolit.

What do you think? Is this anything to be concerned with? I am not shooting matches just using this boolit for informal target work. :castmine:

454PB
01-31-2008, 01:40 AM
It's probably nothing to worry about for casual shooting. If it were me, I'd segregate the boolits from each mould and see what variations you see between them.

JSnover
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
If my weather ever smoothes out I can find this out for myself but I thought I'd ask here, since casting is out of the question for a while;
What sort of weight variation could I expect if I went from pure lead to, say, 10::1? I'm thinking not more than 10% but with a 400 or 500 grain boolit it would be enough to alter my load data. Would it also be enough to cause my mold to drop smaller or larger, since thermal expansion/contraction would be different?
Anybody ever try this?

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
even 5 grains differnce in a 200 grain bullet used at 25 yards will make no differnce. When you start stretching the range to a 100 yards it may open groups a little but still not that much out of a handgun

mtgrs737
02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! I will drive on for now, later I may do a test to see if I can tell there is a difference in my world, but I doubt it. :castmine: