PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to try to get my Texas concealed carry

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Alright guys. If money allows, I am gonna try to take my concealed carry class beginning of October and have a few questions

Can I take hand loads? I think I have to take 100 rounds. Can I just cast up some 230gn bullets and load them for the class? Or should I just go buy a couple boxes of ball ammo? I'll be shooting a 1911 .45acp

What all required. I get different answers online. From what I gather, I have to pay for the class, and also get a background check and finger printed. What do I actually need, and about how much should it all cost?

Am I gonna have to conceal the gun in the class? Like demonstrate how I'm gonna carry?

Anything else I am not thinking of? I know I had other questions but can't remember them now that I am actually writing out this post.

Thanks guys.

txsnowman2k2
09-04-2014, 10:46 PM
negative on the reloads...1 bx/50 rounds store bought ammo. yes show up with gun in whatever rig you intend to carry in. as for fees other then dps fee, all other fees are regional, all different. some classes are two days others are 6hr and range time... good luck. all i can tell you about the actual range test, shoot as good as you can on the first distances, if you score your quota i think a 300 then the instructor has the option of letting you skip the last/farthest distance...again good luck...tx.

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I hate buying factory ammo. Can I reload ammo that looks factory, like with ball bullets and then tumble it to get rid of the sizer die marks?

Love Life
09-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Just buy the factory stuff.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/

Bodydoc447
09-04-2014, 11:06 PM
The rules state no reloads. The rest is up to you.

Doc

txsnowman2k2
09-04-2014, 11:08 PM
i suppose you could but if found out at the range the instructor will ask you to go get factory...luck with that...tx

Charley
09-04-2014, 11:12 PM
State dropped the minimum class time to 6 hours as of September 1. Factory ammo only, and no need to show how you will carry. As for the shooting requirements, you will be shooting 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards. If you can't keep at least in the nine ring at those distances, you are doing something wrong. Time requirements are very generous, as well. Don't sweat it.

Opps, wrong distances. 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yard, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. Still no problem, time limits are never less than 2 second per shot. As far as 70 yards, you better have a really, really good reason for a SD shooting at that distance. Also better have a really, really good attorney.

TXGunNut
09-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Nope, factory ammo. State rule so might as well not try to skirt it, most instructors won't go for it anyway. Instructors around here want you to keep your unloaded pistol in a case in your vehicle until qualification and the course of fire does not include drawing from a holster. Don't show up with your gun concealed in a holster, no sense in violating the law while trying to get a CHL. Don't worry about the qualification course, I can do it blindfolded. The important stuff is the paperwork and the classroom instruction.
Lots of good info in this course, if well taught. New, "improved" shorter format loses a bit of that so read your course material and pay attention.

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Well...at 25 bucks a box, that just upped the price by 50 bucks. Do I at least get to keep my brass?

Love Life
09-04-2014, 11:41 PM
What gun will you be using?

ETA: I reread the OP and I asked a stupid question. I am ashamed.

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 11:42 PM
State dropped the minimum class time to 6 hours as of September 1. Factory ammo only, and no need to show how you will carry. As for the shooting requirements, you will be shooting 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards. If you can't keep at least in the nine ring at those distances, you are doing something wrong. Time requirements are very generous, as well. Don't sweat it.

7 yards, or 70 yards?

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 11:43 PM
What gun will you be using?

ETA: I reread the OP and I asked a stupid question. I am ashamed.

Springfield milspec 1911

DLCTEX
09-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Reloads in a factory box will not get inspected.imho

Bullshop Junior
09-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Reloads in a factory box will not get inspected.imho

I don't have any factory boxes though lol. Most of my ammo is kept in random ammo cans, zip locks, solo cups, empty bullet boxes, plastic coffee cans, Amanda's Tupperware (I didn't say that) and other things that are handy when I need them.

fatelk
09-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Stage 3:
Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards fired in two 5-shot strings.

A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:
1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.
2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.
B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds

So it looks like for this stage (the longest distance), you will need to hit a man-sized target 45 feet away, 7 times out of ten, with plenty of time for aiming. Sounds like some pretty serious marksmanship there!

20 rounds at 3 yds, 20 at 7 yds, and 10 at 15 yds, with a minimum score of 70% to pass. Since shots not taken are scored as a miss, it sounds like you really should need no more than 35 rounds of factory ammo, not 100. :)

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:09 AM
The instructors I have talked to require 100 rounds. Really, I wish there was a way to skip the class, just do the shooting and be done with it.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 12:10 AM
You have to get your check in the box.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:11 AM
You have to get your check in the box.

?????

Love Life
09-05-2014, 12:14 AM
It means you just need to get the class done and be on with your business.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Oh. I know. It just sucks. I'm gonna have to ask for time off work.

MtGun44
09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
The classes that we set up in Kansas may be different, but one of the most important
parts is understanding what the law says about what you can and cannot do when
defending yourself.

One question I ask my students is - "Do you know what has happened from a legal
standpoint if you shoot a guy that has shot at you and you kill him?" They are mostly
shocked to hear that this is A HOMICIDE. Yes, you have committed homicide. You
had better have done it within the narrow range of PERMITTED SELF DEFENSE, by following
the laws as they are written. If it is within the specific exceptions permitted by law, then
you are OK, if not - you are going to jail.

So - the shooting is no big deal for you, but you really do need to understand
what the limits are on the law and what you may and may NOT do in the
self defense area. Important stuff.

Good luck - you will no doubt find the shooting to be easy.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:24 AM
Homiside? Really? Wouldn't have expected that. So what, you have to try to shoot between the time he pulls the trigger, and the bullet hits you?

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I just read the whole page linked above. After all is said and done, I'm gonna be looking at about $310 plus ammo, and the time I have to take off work. This is gonna have to wait. I was thinking it was gonna be like 75 bucks tops.

What are the rules in Texas about carrying in my truck?

Love Life
09-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Don't you just love having to a pay a rather prohibitive amount of money to enjoy the right to keep and bear arms, and subsequently defend yourself and family?

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Come over to Illinois.

Price WITHOUT ammo runs over $525.00

PS. I just noticed Girty sent her girlfriend Amanda something about hiding the tupperwear in a better place.

Yes those girls stick together.

garym1a2
09-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Gee Florida is only $125 and some call us an anti gun state.
we have the most CCW's in the US.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 06:14 AM
My Alabama license years ago was $10.00.

Nevada was a ridiculous amount so I didn't get my Nevada CCW and just carried openly if at all.

My Georgia CCW was $70.00 with no test required. Show up, take picture, pay fee to exercise right, get fingerprinted like a criminal, then wait 10 days.

Cool thing about the Georgia permit though is that it is a weapons license so it covers fixed blade knives with blades over 5 inches, and from my reading so far, looks like knuckle dusters might be good to go as well since they aren't specifically banned but I need to do a bit more research on it.

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2014, 06:46 AM
In Indiana you visit the Co Sheriff fill out the paperwork and pay a $25.00 fee for a 4 year license or $125.00 for a lifetime one.

They accept ALL CCW licenses no matter where you got them.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Gee Florida is only $125 and some call us an anti gun state.
we have the most CCW's in the US.

Florida is actually way up above Texas ok the gun friendly state list. I think Florida ranked #3.

For being a gun friendly state, Texas sucks.

I'm currently working in the bad part of San Antonio. Two times in the last week I have had guys try to steal stuff from the back of my truck while I was sitting at a stop light. The second guy offered me weed when I confronted him. I really would like to be able to have a gun with me, but I can't, and at that kind of money it will be a long time to save up for my Concealed carry license. Oh well.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 06:50 AM
My Alabama license years ago was $10.00.

Nevada was a ridiculous amount so I didn't get my Nevada CCW and just carried openly if at all.

My Georgia CCW was $70.00 with no test required. Show up, take picture, pay fee to exercise right, get fingerprinted like a criminal, then wait 10 days.

Cool thing about the Georgia permit though is that it is a weapons license so it covers fixed blade knives with blades over 5 inches, and from my reading so far, looks like knuckle dusters might be good to go as well since they aren't specifically banned but I need to do a bit more research on it.

You are not supposed to carry a fixed blade knife either??? I always have a 5.5" knife of my belt.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 06:54 AM
America sure makes it hard to defend yourself. You need to research the laws in your local area.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 06:57 AM
America sure makes it hard to defend yourself. You need to research the laws in your local area.

I don't carry it for defense. I carry to use it. I use that dang knife constantly.

Pb2au
09-05-2014, 07:06 AM
pay fee to exercise right,

An old mechanic I worked with once said, 'sometimes when you say things out loud, you realize how ridiculous it is'.
Your quote just nailed it.
'To use constitutionally defined rights, please insert 200$ bucks' What have we become.........

Anyway,
It is a bit spendy. Here in Ohio, (a bit cheaper than others from I am reading here) my class was 80$ and the fee to actually get the license from the Sheriff's dept was 100$ I believe.
Save your pennies BS and get it done when you can. The ammo thing is a bit of a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 07:06 AM
As I said, research your local laws.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I really do miss Alaska. I could carry a rifle around in ak if I wanted

Love Life
09-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Gotta love them free states, eh?

slim1836
09-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Do this:
http://www.concealed-carry.net/
Now you don't have to worry about your ammo.

Slim

Moonie
09-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Holy **** guys, in NC I took the class for $45, reloads were just fine, permission slip is $95ish for 5 years, less to renew. I normally just open carry, but got the slip to make it easier to purchase handguns and now there are places permit holders can carry that non holders cannot. (anywhere that serves alcohol)

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 08:14 AM
And everyone says Texas is a gun friendly state.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 08:18 AM
There are a lot of misconceptions concerning what many consider "Free" states.

lancem
09-05-2014, 08:22 AM
What are the rules in Texas about carrying in my truck?

You can without a permit but it must be concealed. So as long as it is under the seat, in the glove box or whatever you are good to go. Watch yourself in SA as they have some local laws that are goofy and some say unenforceable, such as unlawful to carry a loaded shotgun, lockblade knife, and I think they have problems with fix blades over 3" too.

garym1a2
09-05-2014, 08:49 AM
In Florida you do not have to take a class if you have a DD-214 or can proved proficient with firearms.

Class is an extra $50 to $75 depending on who teaches it. My little brother got the NRA certified to teach it so he makes quite a bit of side money teaching these classes.
4 to 6 in a class @$50 for 4 hr class.

Handloader109
09-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Do this:

Slim
Quite interesting. I researched Arkansas law and I could probably get this license.
As a matter of course, I looked a bit more and AR has a procedure to change license to AR license under their residency requirements. In order to really stay legal, I believe that I would have to try and convert the VA non resident license to AR. Not explicitly stated, but if I used weapon, having a VA NR and not AR CCP, it might cause problems. TX has no provision that I could find to change over from an out of state to TX license. I'll leave that can of worms to you guys in TX.
The only reason I'm bringing this up is that my wife got her permit last year and it took close to 6 months. Three fingerprint submissions, last one by black powder at I think a cost of $45. Seems like this is normal procedure with AR. Not a must issue state, a may issue...... and may take 4 months in normal time.

waynem34
09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Virginia will give you one..Got mine in 15 days.I took a 3 and half hour handgun safety course one saturday for $25 and the state wants $50 and $1 to laminate the card .So my total was $76.No live fire or range time. I know some of those people at that class could use that range time.Virginia will issue out of state permits.Might be worth a try.

mrvmax
09-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Really, I wish there was a way to skip the class, just do the shooting and be done with it.

You really need to rethink your statement, from the rest of your questions here I doubt you know enough about Texas law regarding the use of a firearm to skip the class. You really need to take seriously learning the penal code or you will end up in jail yourself when you do something you "thought" was ok to do. You can legally carry a handgun in your vehicle, you need to read Texas Penal code section 46.02 and make sure you are complying with the law, I would print out a copy of 46.02 and keep it in your vehicle, some law enforcement are not aware of it. Consider joining texaschlforum so you can get up to speed on all things regarding CHL in the state of Texas.

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
When I took my Utah nonresident CCW class the instructor was a retired lawyer.

The first thing he asked was "how many here have a DD214."

Every hand went up.

Guess we can pass up handling and go straight to what can get you in trouble legally.

The next 3 1/2 hours were some of the most interesting and enlightening I have ever spent in a classroom.

Well worth the $200.00 I had to save up for the class.

LUBEDUDE
09-05-2014, 10:53 AM
You are not supposed to carry a fixed blade knife either??? I always have a 5.5" knife of my belt.

Better leave that knife at home or in the tool box!

5" is the limit in TX. And as someone else mentioned, San Antonio has stricter knife laws due to the gangs.

BTW, Texas does allow you to carry a fixed bade up to 5", but you will draw attention from the police.
And, as mentioned, San Antonio may be a different matter.

LUBEDUDE
09-05-2014, 11:10 AM
You CAN carry a legal loaded gun in your vehicle, it does not have to be 'concealed' or locked, .

Sorry to say that in Texas, your firearm MUST BE CONCEALED while in your vehicle. Just ask any Texas police officer.

You may be getting confused with another state.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I actually asked a trooper. Does not have to be concealed, but it is preferred so it doesn't get stolen.

I had been under the impression I could carry a loaded gun in my truck, until the other day a coworker dais I could go to jail for that.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 11:36 AM
You need to read the laws. The police in states have proven time and again that even they are not up to speed on all laws.

Read the laws and be educated on the subject. Save the money for your permit and get that done so you are legal and legit.

I don't want you to make a small mistake and end up a felon due to a misunderstanding.

lancem
09-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I actually asked a trooper. Does not have to be concealed, but it is preferred so it doesn't get stolen.

I had been under the impression I could carry a loaded gun in my truck, until the other day a coworker dais I could go to jail for that.

As Love Life said troopers are not always the best source.

That said here is:
The Texas Motorist Protection Act (MPA) : HB 1815

In 2009 the Texas legislature passed HB 1815 (http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01815F.htm), also known as The Motorist Protection Act (MPA). The bill affects the Penal Code, allowing citizens to carry a handgun “inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control”, providing:

the handgun remains concealed
the person is not engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic
the person is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm
the person is not a member of a criminal street gang

Long guns and shotguns can be carried and do not have to be concealed.

As far as knifes go
46.01. Definitions
In this chapter:
…..(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) “Knife” means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

So 5.5" length would be a legal carry, in the country you probably won't have any issues, once you're in the city it's probably another thing. BTW length is the measurement from tip to hilt, not the sharpened edge.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
So I can't carry a gun in my car. I plead guilty to class 4 theft a few years ago (long story---still not sure what made me think it was a good idea)

AggieEE
09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Alot of the time, if you're a decident guy the cops will ignore the knife. Now if they want to make a point with their boss or you're being a jerk then that's a different story. I use a knife at work so I have a cheap kershaw ken onion. If the cops want it they can have it. If they ask tell them you need it for work. About the only time they get real serious about knive is during Fiesta inside the Fiesta ground area, especially if you're drunk or wearing gang colors. The shooting test is a snooz the had part is the classroom. Buy a box of blazers shoot it and leave it. my .02

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Blazers are more expansive then federal brass cased.

I was also under the impression that the class was more of a "you hold the gun like this" kind of deal for people who never shot a round in their life.

Charley
09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
So I can't carry a gun in my car. I plead guilty to class 4 theft a few years ago (long story---still not sure what made me think it was a good idea) Musta been a different state, no "class 4" anything in Texas. If that disqualifies you from legally carrying in a vehicle, it would also disqualify you from having a CHL. Better check up on that, might save you time and money. As for the class being a snoozer, might want to rethink that. Laws vary by state, you need to know Texas law, and how it differs from others. If you don't think so, just ask the woman from PA who's facing felony charges in NJ for concealed carry and possession of HP ammunition. her reasoning? "I thought my PA CHL was like a drivers license, and honored in all states". Classroom time is cheap, compared to that.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Class 4 theft? In what state? Better make sure that it didn't make you a felon.

I say again, you really need to educate yourself on the laws of the state you are in. Ignorance of laws does not protect you from the consequences if you break the law.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:30 PM
It would have been in Alaska. Class 4 theft would be theft under 50 bucks. I pled guilty in court and had to pay a $75 fine iirc. I given a deal where if I stayed out of trouble for a year it would go away. This was three years ago. I never checked to see if it still shows up on a criminal record.

Only other time I have ever been in trouble was I got a traffic ticket once for failing to yield to a red light resulting in a accident.

Love Life
09-05-2014, 12:31 PM
No felony then no worries!

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Class 4 theft? In what state? Better make sure that it didn't make you a felon.

I say again, you really need to educate yourself on the laws of the state you are in. Ignorance of laws does not protect you from the consequences if you break the law.

Defiantly not a felon. I've bought guns from stores with no issues since. Class 4 is the lowest form of theft in AK.

bstone5
09-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Here in Houston there are a lot of places that do the complete classroom lecture and shooting on a Saturday.

The shooting part is easy, some places want you to bring two boxes of ammo and they let you practice some before doing the shooting for scoring.

It is easy if you have shot a hand gun and know how to operate the gun.

A lot of women have a hard time loading the magazines on an automatic, they let you shoot a revolver for qualifying now and can carry an auto.

In the past if you shot a revolver you could only carry a revolver but the new rules have changed and qualifying with a revolver now allows you to carry an auto.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 12:36 PM
I work 7 days a week. 45 ammo is cheaper then 32 mag ammo do ill probably use the 1911.

I wonder if I could get dad to send me some bullshop ammo labels lol

waynem34
09-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I had a class 3 or 4 misdemeanor 4 years ago to the day I submitted my app.They asked on the application about criminal record.I think they wanted it for the past 5 years.I asked the clerk of courts a few question's and she was helpful by pointing me in other directions to obtain info.Virginia will also refund moneys if denied.If it was juvenile stuff I would get my police record and see what's on it.Unless you know for sure you were a minor.Sounds like it may take some time but try and have patience.Felonies or violent assault charges, are the big NO NO's.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 01:08 PM
No violence. I was 18 so not a minor.

southpaw
09-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Wow! I thought that getting my pic taken for mine this year was bad. Our procedure us simple. Your turn 21, go to the court house and go to the sheriffs office and ask to get your concealed carry license. You fill out the paper (same one as when buying a gun), they make a phone call and (new in the last couple years) you get your pic taken to put on your new license. All for a total of $25. Total time 10 minutes or so unless they are busy or you start bsing with them. In 5 years you get to go and do it again.

Of course if we decided that we did not want to go this route we can always open carry.

Sorry to hear that some states are so strict and like to deny their subjects their rights of make them beg and jump through all sorts of hoops to get a permit.

It is pretty simple, it is your responsibility to know the laws. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Jerry Jr.

LUBEDUDE
09-05-2014, 01:43 PM
As far as knifes go
46.01. Definitions
In this chapter:
…..(6) “Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(

So 5.5" length would be a legal carry, in the country you probably won't have any issues, once you're in the city it's probably another thing. BTW length is the measurement from tip to hilt, not the sharpened edge.

Thanks!

Looks like I was mislead by an Officer too!

lancem
09-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

Looks like I was mislead by an Officer too!

No problem! Down here everyone carries a sheath knife and I wanted to be for sure what was legal before I went carrying anything stuck in my boot or on my hip. For me the hardest part has been finding a knife I like in the 5" range, seems everything is longer than that.

mjwcaster
09-05-2014, 02:45 PM
BSJ,

Check out Handgunlaw.us texas page (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf), great info there.

A quick check turned up several classes in the San Antonio area for $70-75.
Seems some of them rent handguns with ammo in the $40-$45 range, may be cheaper to use their gun/ammo than buying 45, but not much.

Some of the confusion with a handgun in the vehicle may stem from the fact that I think it has changed over the years. IIRC (and was informed correctly in the first place) it used to have to be in the open, the joke was you had to pull it out and throw it on the dash before the trooper got your window. Was a pain while hunting, because even if I tried to leave it in the open while traveling between fields it was too easy for a coat or something to get thrown over it. Really funny thing was we could be in a truck full of loaded long guns, but the 'concealed' pistol could have gotten us in trouble. then again not a real concern on the dirt roads where we were, and especially when the new Sheriff asked us why we didn't shoot all the hogs that ran out in front of us on the road escaping a burning field. Next time shoot them, he tells us, save me from writing another car/hog accident report.

As has been posted, it is now changed to concealed in a vehicle.

Also I have seen that only 50 rounds are required, but they recommend 100 in case you need to reshoot.

How about placing a call to a couple of instructors in your area and asking them if you can get away with only 50 rounds, I know I would let you.
Then again I allow reloads in class on a case by case basis, but had one gentleman that has me rethinking that policy (blown out case in 9mm, 'oh yeah that happens sometimes, no big deal').

Try and get some referrals, classes do differ and like has been stated here covering the law may be the most important part.
Not only is shooting/killing someone a homicide (may be ruled justifiable, but still a homicide), but state laws vary.
In Ohio you have to prove your innocence, while in the other 49 you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

What places are off limits, do you have a duty to inform, is there 0 tolerance for alcohol, can you carry in a establishment that serves alcohol, do 'no gun signs' have the force of law, those types of issues.

mrvmax
09-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Don't ever ask a law enforcement officer, they are sometimes the worst people to ask. Suppose they give you wrong info (like telling you a handgun does not have to be concealed) and you get pulled over. Do you think that if you tell the officer that another officer told you that you could do it they will let you go? Like I stated before, just read the penal code instead of relying on what other people told you.

Bullshop Junior
09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Is that kind of like the deal, the worst place you can go when you are sick, is the doctor? Lol

Char-Gar
09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Texas is not Alaska! The laws are not the same, the culture is not the same and the ways of thinking are not the same. It behoves anyone with a gun "on or about their person", to know the laws regarding having such firearms and the laws of when it is legal to present it, show it and use it. Failure to takes these laws seriously can and often will cause a fellow to spend a very long time in prison.

When you send for a CHL application packet, the DPS will include a booklet that contains all of the relevant laws. Read it, read it again and keep on reading it until you know and understand the laws. Some of these will be covered in the CHL class but not all of them by a long shot.

Never take legal advice from police officers, gun shop employees, the guys at work or people on the internet for they are often wrong. The old legal maxim "ignorance of the law does not excuse" is still very much in place. Misinformation is as bad as no information and won't stand for anything with the judge.

The Texas Penal Code is available on line and has a searchable database.

MtGun44
09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, a homicide, but if you are within the rules of permissible self defense, you are
in the exception, so no criminal charges - it is still a homicide, but after investigation
it could be ruled self defense. This is the most important part of the training for
gun people. For everyone, it is critical to understand exactly what the law permits
and how you will be judged. Concepts like "the reasonable man" criteria to evaluate
what you did. And the "innocent actor" issue, more things that you have to keep
in mind. Lots of similarities in the law from state to state, but they are NOT the same,
so you need to know the law in the state(s) where you will carry. Char-Gar is
right - pay attention in class, and READ THE LAWS in your state.

Folks that are new to guns, the gun safety rules stuff is also critical, they don't know
stuff [like not pointing a gun at your foot (!) ;-) ], the whole training course is
intended to fill in the gaps for the widest cross section of people.

Well, at least in KS, I know because I was a contributor to the training
course, like writing the questions, setting up range qualification requirements,
and a lot more - part of a committee that did this for the KS AG. I expect that Texas
is going to be a good bit similar - safety, gun laws, safe storage, cleaning,
and other basics.

fatelk
09-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Never take legal advice from police officers, gun shop employees, the guys at work or people on the internet for they are often wrong. The old legal maxim "ignorance of the law does not excuse" is still very much in place. Misinformation is as bad as no information and won't stand for anything with the judge.
Nowadays it's so easy to find the correct information directly from the source, on the internet. Definitely no excuse for relying on bad info.

A little off topic, but a good example of relying on info that wasn't the best: several years ago the sons of a friend went on a road trip across country. A friend of theirs was here on the west coast and was making a trip home to the South East to see family. They all got the idea to go with him and make a road trip of it. They also got the idea to take some guns because his family had land where they were going and it would be fun to do some shooting there with them.

These were good kids in their late teens- country boys, maybe a bit naive. They wanted to make sure they were legal so they asked a family friend who was a retired cop what would be the best way to transport gun across country. He told them that to make sure they would be legal in every state they passed through they should make sure they were never concealed in the vehicle. Personally I think unloaded, cased, and locked in the trunk is a much better idea, but that's just me.

They got pulled over for speeding in the Midwest. Cop sees a car full of guns and teenage boys, freaks out, calls backup, full felony-type stop. They were all pulled from the car and given the third degree while a bunch of Nebraska State Troopers goes through their car with a fine tooth comb. Fortunately everything was legal and all they got was a well-earned speeding ticket, but it was a terrible experience for them.

Lonegun1894
09-06-2014, 03:49 AM
I am a peace officer, and a CHL instructor, so take that for what it's worth. Here is what I tell all my students. The qualification part of the course is so that, if needed, I can stand up in court and honestly say that you did demonstrate safe gun handling practices, and qualified as per the State standards, but it is NOT for me to teach you to handle your weapon or to shoot it. I will gladly help teach those skills, but we can get together at another time so we're not holding up the rest of the CHL class students who showed up ready. The main purpose of the class is so that we have time to go through the relevant laws, as has been said many times in above posts, cause frankly, it just goes back to the whole, we don't care how things were done back in (insert State here), you're in Texas now, so we expect you to follow Texas law, just like we are expected to follow the laws of any state we ever go visit. Along those same lines, I always tell my students to make sure they check into what the laws are in any state they plan on visiting or travelling to, cause they don't care, and shouldn't care, how we do things in Texas. I know that may sound harsh or smartalec, but knowing the laws keeps us all out of hot water. Please look into the laws so you stay legal. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help with.

Bullshop Junior
09-06-2014, 07:34 AM
I had forgot about the self inflicted gunshot wound on my record.

Thanks for all the info guys. It's gonna take awhile to save up the money so I'll start doing more homework online.

MaryB
09-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Minnesota is a $100 class(afternoon) and $100 permit good for 5 years. On my list but not my budget. Have to get heating pellets in storage the next 2 months. 3 tons is my minimum, 5 would be better and 6 great if I can find somewhere to stack that much.

Bullshop Junior
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I had heating pellets for my lat house is AK. Those things suck. I was burning 6-8 bags a day at 10 bucks a baf

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Do this:

Slim

I don't have a way to go into a Virginia police station for paperwork.

wills
09-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Alright guys. If money allows, I am gonna try to take my concealed carry class beginning of October and have a few questions

Can I take hand loads? I think I have to take 100 rounds. Can I just cast up some 230gn bullets and load them for the class? Or should I just go buy a couple boxes of ball ammo? I'll be shooting a 1911 .45acp

What all required. I get different answers online. From what I gather, I have to pay for the class, and also get a background check and finger printed. What do I actually need, and about how much should it all cost?

Am I gonna have to conceal the gun in the class? Like demonstrate how I'm gonna carry?

Anything else I am not thinking of? I know I had other questions but can't remember them now that I am actually writing out this post.

Thanks guys.

Why not ask the people running the class? Seems they would be in the best position to know.

wills
09-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Texas Statutes are online. Obviously you have a computer. Use it.

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I actually do not have a computer. I have a phone and a app for this site.

MaryB
09-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Wow what kind of stove? I burn a bag a day except on below -10 days then 1 1/2 bags is typical. $4 a bag here.

I had heating pellets for my lat house is AK. Those things suck. I was burning 6-8 bags a day at 10 bucks a baf

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't know. But it sucked for heating a 2 story 2 bedroom house at 50 below.

MaryB
09-08-2014, 03:10 AM
My house is very well sealed and insulated after my putting a lot of work into it. All new windows, 3/4 inch of foil faced foam under the new siding, liberal use of spray foam to seal air leaks... 2 bedrooms, about 1600 sq feet, gets to -30 here at times.

Char-Gar
09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Ahhh..Life in deep South Texas where we only have to heat the house five or six days a year and my total heating bill is just a few bucks. Now, I know why all the deep freeze Yankee types flock down here each year. I had one of them tell me recently that it was cheaper to move down here for 4 months than pay the heating bill in his home to stay there.

Palm trees, parrots, citrus orchards and shooting all year long in T-shirts and shorts. Living the good life down here for sure and for certain.

dragon813gt
09-08-2014, 11:11 AM
And here I am living in one of those evil North East states. $20 for the permit, no class required. Five year permit so $4 a year for it and it took all of fifteen minutes to get it. Open carry is legal as well. Such an evil state that hates guns to live in huh?

wills
09-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I actually do not have a computer. I have a phone and a app for this site.

Ok, will the phone get the statutes?

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Or this

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

onceabull
09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm thinking that B4 I'm spending 60-80 $ daily for pellets, I'm building an Igloo in the yard..!!:coffee: Onceabull

Recluse
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
This entire discussion about Daniel getting his CHL is probably moot anyhow if he's not 21. (Begging your pardon if you are 21--can't remember your age, but thought you'd left Alaska in your late teens.)

I'd also contact TSRA to see if he's legal to have his handgun in his truck. The Castle Doctrine amendments regarding vehicles being an extension of one's domicile may end up confusing the issue. He can most certain possess a handgun in his home/residence, but there was a number of years in which a person under the age of 21 could not be in possession of a handgun in their vehicle unless they were in the company of an adult 21 years of age or older.

THAT issue would well be worth checking with the Texas State Rifle Association over. Might end up keeping you out of the Bexar County lockup.

:coffee:

Mr opinionated
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Good old Bexar county (for all you newbies to Texas that pronounce BEAR) were they serve there Bologna in a tortilla.

MR O

TXGunNut
09-08-2014, 09:55 PM
I personally think the Castle Doctrine's extension to include vehicles is misunderstood and likely to be lost as a justification for a handgun in a vehicle someday soon anyway. I don't feel it's the same as a CHL and folks who rely on the castle doctrine to carry a handgun in their car will probably not acquaint themselves with the law. I don't know where this interpretation comes from but it looks shaky to me, I wouldn't rely on it to prevent a ride to jail if a handgun were discovered during a traffic stop. Texas' CHL class has valuable information on the Penal Code and conflict resolution, among other things, that are very important to armed citzens.
For instance, in Daniel's example, using deadly force against someone stealing things out of the back of his truck is not legal in most situations and would be a bad idea in almost any situation.
I did the LE thing for 25 yrs and have had a CHL so long they just tell me to mail in a check when it expires.....but I wouldn't take my word or most anyone else's when it comes to avoiding arrest for a weapons offense. Remember, an arrest will be an expensive mess. A conviction will likely forfeit your 2A rights. As Recluse points out the folks @ TSRA have people on staff that know this law and related statutes inside and out. After all, they helped write them.

Bullshop Junior
09-08-2014, 11:13 PM
This entire discussion about Daniel getting his CHL is probably moot anyhow if he's not 21. (Begging your pardon if you are 21--can't remember your age, but thought you'd left Alaska in your late teens.)

I'd also contact TSRA to see if he's legal to have his handgun in his truck. The Castle Doctrine amendments regarding vehicles being an extension of one's domicile may end up confusing the issue. He can most certain possess a handgun in his home/residence, but there was a number of years in which a person under the age of 21 could not be in possession of a handgun in their vehicle unless they were in the company of an adult 21 years of age or older.

THAT issue would well be worth checking with the Texas State Rifle Association over. Might end up keeping you out of the Bexar County lockup.

I actually turned 21 a few weeks ago. So should be good to go.

Bullshop Junior
09-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Good old Bexar county (for all you newbies to Texas that pronounce BEAR) were they serve there Bologna in a tortilla.

MR O

I have actually had bologna tortilla tacos. Not too bad.

Recluse
09-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I actually turned 21 a few weeks ago. So should be good to go.

:)

Where does the time go? It seems like maybe just a year or two ago that you were still seventeen and regaling us with tales in the Chat Room.

Of course, I just became a grandfather again last month with our youngest giving us our first granddaughter. It just seems like a year or two ago that we'd finished signing the legal guardian papers. . . That's what getting old(er) will do to you.

You should be fine with just 50 rounds of ammunition. The course of fire doesn't call for any more than that. If an instructor wants you to bring more, I'd find a different instructor. You, Daniel, will most certainly NOT have any problems whatsoever with the course of fire. In fact, if you score anything less than a perfect, an awful lot of us will be disappointed. <big grin>

As far as the reloads go? I agree about the ridiculous cost of factory ammo. Next time you're at a "formal" shooting range, scour the trash cans for empty boxes or trays of .45 ammo that is the same as what you'd be shooting to qualify. Separate your brass by headstamp, polish/tumble it up right nice and shiny, load it in the box and never look back.

If you can't find any empty boxes, let me know and I'll mail you a couple. I still have some from way back in my federal LE days when I used to order and shoot several thousand rounds of assorted ammo a month.

You will have to supply fingerprints and I think they're all done now by laser scan. However, this also is another good item to dig around on. I think I made a $10 donation to the coffee and donuts fund at my local police department in exchange for them scanning my ten digits and zapping them off back when I did my CHL prerequisites.

The classroom portion is far more important to you than the range time. You know you can shoot, I know you can shoot, we know you can shoot. What you do not know is WHEN you can shoot, WHY you can shoot, WHEN you can (legally) carry, WHERE you can legally carry, etc. That five or six hours in the classroom might well be all that stands between you and a felony. Because in Texas, as with many states, if you have your CHL and you violate carry laws, it's no longer a misdemeanor but a felony--and felony means no more firearms, ever, in any state.

What's a few hours in a classroom to help prevent that? Besides, laws are made by legislators and they change every couple of years. Fortunately here in Texas, they are changing for the better even in spite of all the (liberal) outside agitators that are trying to move in.

After your initial CHL, in four or six years (can't remember which), the renewal can be done online. My wife just renewed hers and all it cost her was the fee--no classroom stuff, no range time or shooting, etc.

Since you are 21, you have no problems carrying a handgun in your truck--but it does have to be concealed. The change in the castle doctrine law to reflect an extension of your domicile was to "correct" some really old and archaic "travel laws" that allowed one to legally carry a firearm in their vehicle if they were traveling across more than one county line or traveling for a distance or time that required them to spend the night away from home.

A CHL allows you to take that concealed handgun from your truck and put it on or about your body, concealed, and then travel about freely to most locations with the exceptions that are covered in the classroom portion of the CHL class.

Your wife, Amanda, should be okay keeping a handgun in the vehicle with her. Legally, probably not, but this IS Texas and the South and our LE gives a helluva lot more leeway to women who are solo and have a firearm about their vehicle than they do men, with all else being equal and the operator of that vehicle being under 21.

My youngest daughter was stopped twice well before she turned 21 and both times had a small K-frame S&W in the truck with her. On both occasions the LE learned that she indeed had a firearm in the truck (Ford F350 Crew Cab pulling a horse trailer), neither one of them even so much as blinked.

Now, this is not to say that it will happen that way for everyone, but I opted as a husband and dad to err on the side of my wife and daughters' personal safety and have them appropriately "prepared" when traveling as opposed to the alternative. And again, if some alpha-hotel of a LE insisted on being an alpha-hotel and arresting them, it would be a misdemeanor and not a felony.

But, best thing is to contact TSRA and pick their brains a bit. They're good folks and especially helpful to gun-owners new to Texas.

waksupi
09-09-2014, 12:10 AM
A lot of people seem to blow off the class room part of instruction. I've been through several schools and training sessions over the years. Learned something new at every darned one of them.

wills
09-09-2014, 04:48 PM
God Forbid anyone should actually Read The Statute.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Recluse
09-09-2014, 05:41 PM
God Forbid anyone should actually Read The Statute.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

God forbid statutes ever be written in literate, common-sense language sans the endless myriad of "subsections" and "defined as" and "defense to" and other legal speak that only serve to, intentionally or otherwise, confuse the overwhelming majority of the population.

I also found this in the link posted, and had thought this had been done away with during the last legislative session, but apparently not:

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

That means about a fourth of our church, which is rather large, is in violation of the law every Saturday night and Sunday morning.

It also means that when my wife and I got married, albeit over two decades ago before CHL came to Texas, over 90% of the non-LE attendees at our wedding were in violation of the law--including the pastor, piano player and ushers. :)

I have serious issues with the "no guns allowed in a church" subsection here and will continue to blatantly ignore it. Churches are private property in which participation is one-hundred percent voluntary and that require no license in which to operate. They do require the usual building code permits and inspections, same as any other dwelling available for public visitation. But there is exactly zero reason to single out places of worship to disallow CHL or possession of any firearm.

Bullshop Junior
09-09-2014, 08:42 PM
That rule must have been written by a seventh day Adventist.

Wayne Smith
09-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Or a Jew.

SSGOldfart
09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
I hate buying factory ammo. Can I reload ammo that looks factory, like with ball bullets and then tumble it to get rid of the sizer die marks?
Nope needs to be factory for the safety of other shooters around you not a good time to brake the rules.

wills
09-09-2014, 10:30 PM
We are dealing with determining what the statutes say, not whether we like them.

TXGunNut
09-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I think your interpretation is you need a CHL to carry in your vehicle, for protection from a carjacking? You can't protect yourself or property while mobile?-popper

That's correct, sort of. If you're in control of a motor vehicle you're not exactly unarmed or defenseless. Self defense doesn't require a handgun but in most situations carrying a handgun requires a license. We used to use the "traveling" provision but it was a defense to prosecution, wouldn't necessarily keep you from taking a ride to jail. So yes, if you want to carry a concealed handgun on or about your person I feel it's best to have a CHL. I learned things in CHL class that I wish they'd taught in the police academy. Being armed and not knowing the law is a recipe for disaster, IMHO. Many peace officers feel carrying a handgun without a CHL in most situations is illegal and I'd rather not risk an arrest, trial and/or conviction when a CHL is available. Some jurisdictions have some very narrow interpretations of the statutes and I won't risk losing my 2nd amendment rights due to a weapons offense.

wills
09-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

wills
09-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Most of our statutes are written by the Texas Legislative Council.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/legal/dm/draftingmanual.pdf

mrvmax
09-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Some jurisdictions have some very narrow interpretations of the statutes and I won't risk losing my 2nd amendment rights due to a weapons offense.

46.02 is clear, there is no longer a need to interpret (like there was with the traveling wording).

mrvmax
09-11-2014, 07:49 PM
God forbid statutes ever be written in literate, common-sense language sans the endless myriad of "subsections" and "defined as" and "defense to" and other legal speak that only serve to, intentionally or otherwise, confuse the overwhelming majority of the population.

I also found this in the link posted, and had thought this had been done away with during the last legislative session, but apparently not:

That means about a fourth of our church, which is rather large, is in violation of the law every Saturday night and Sunday morning.

It also means that when my wife and I got married, albeit over two decades ago before CHL came to Texas, over 90% of the non-LE attendees at our wedding were in violation of the law--including the pastor, piano player and ushers. :)

I have serious issues with the "no guns allowed in a church" subsection here and will continue to blatantly ignore it. Churches are private property in which participation is one-hundred percent voluntary and that require no license in which to operate. They do require the usual building code permits and inspections, same as any other dwelling available for public visitation. But there is exactly zero reason to single out places of worship to disallow CHL or possession of any firearm.

You need to read the entire section, the church must be posted 30.06 if they do not want you carrying inside

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if
the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

DLCTEX
09-11-2014, 08:14 PM
You need to read the entire section, the church must be posted 30.06 if they do not want you carrying inside

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if
the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
Our pastor has ccw and encourages members to carry in church.

TXGunNut
09-12-2014, 12:33 AM
46.02 is clear, there is no longer a need to interpret (like there was with the traveling wording).

Yes, but it is very narrow. If you stray from that direct route or step out of the vehicle with that handgun somewhere other than your home you could very well be in violation and face arrest. I agree with the castle doctrine, I agree with the vehicle provision of 46-02 but I still feel an educated and licensed citizen will fare much better in the aftermath of a justified shooting, will hopefully be able to avoid a questionable or unjustified shooting and will also be able to avoid arrest and prosecution in some of the more narrow-minded jurisdictions.

Bad Water Bill
09-12-2014, 02:56 AM
A further reason for taking classes.

A woman from Pa entered N J and was stopped for a traffic violation.

She promptly notified the officer she was carrying and had a valid Pa license to do so.

Now she is facing major prison time and legal fees.

All it took her to get her license was pay a fee to the Co sheriff and she was OK in many states.

If she had attended a class they would have instructed her to check if the states she was planning to drive thru and visit would recognize her permit and if not just what to do in order to avoid problems.

Yes she DID save a few bucks but now is looking at 10-20 in the slammer.

shooterbob
09-12-2014, 03:33 AM
I got pulled over the other day in east tx and I moved the gun I was transporting onto the seat and told the officer I had moved it. He told me to put it back that is was an offense if they can see it. It was a non working gun too.

slim1836
09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't have a way to go into a Virginia police station for paperwork.

If you research this, I am sure it can all be handled online and through the mail.

Slim

Lonegun1894
09-14-2014, 01:13 PM
For what it's worth, in TX, if you're in your vehicle, you're presumed to be travelling, and it doesn't matter if you're crossing the state, or or going across the street to your neighbors house, and it doesn't have to be a direct route either. Now where that can bite you is if you have the gun on your person and stop to buy gas (for example) on your way. You step out of the vehicle to pump gas, it just became a misdemeanor cause you're out of your vehicle, and then, the pump doesn't take your credit card so you have to go inside, and since most gas stations sell alcohol, it just became a felony. So while it is legal to carry in your vehicle, you have to be really careful about making sure it doesn't leave your vehicle when you make a pit stop. So the CHL, while not cheap, is much cheaper than what not having one can cost you. Please be careful out there everyone.

Bullshop Junior
09-14-2014, 01:49 PM
For what it's worth, in TX, if you're in your vehicle, you're presumed to be travelling, and it doesn't matter if you're crossing the state, or or going across the street to your neighbors house, and it doesn't have to be a direct route either. Now where that can bite you is if you have the gun on your person and stop to buy gas (for example) on your way. You step out of the vehicle to pump gas, it just became a misdemeanor cause you're out of your vehicle, and then, the pump doesn't take your credit card so you have to go inside, and since most gas stations sell alcohol, it just became a felony. So while it is legal to carry in your vehicle, you have to be really careful about making sure it doesn't leave your vehicle when you make a pit stop. So the CHL, while not cheap, is much cheaper than what not having one can cost you. Please be careful out there everyone.

When I say carry I'm my car, I mean in the glove box or door compartment.

Lonegun1894
09-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Just keep it concealed in your vehicle, and be careful about when and where you take it out and you should be fine.

DLCTEX
09-15-2014, 09:27 PM
If it helps, you have several months to complete everything after taking the course. Paying for the photo, fingerprinting, etc. can be spread out some.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 09:42 PM
I was hoping for that. That's good news!!

Lonegun1894
09-16-2014, 12:01 AM
For what it's worth, they use the photo they have on file for you on your TX DL, so that shouldn't cost you anything.

Bad Water Bill
09-16-2014, 03:55 AM
When I renewed my FOID card I had to send in a "passport photo" and when the new FOID card showed up it only showed my D L photo.

Their reasoning is to match both to make sure it is really me.

Wonder what their response would be if I shaved off my beard of 40 years and submitted that photo?