PDA

View Full Version : recoil formula

carpetman
09-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Been some mention of heavy recoil so thought I'd share this formula. It is not foot pounds--it's just a recoil factor and consider above 20 as a kicker. Add bullet weight to powder charge(both in grains). Multiply that number by muzzle velocity in ft per second. Divide that number by 3500(constant). Divide that number by gun weight in pounds and you have the recoil factor. It is non linear,but gives a good comparison of things.

Buckshot
09-18-2005, 08:26 AM
.............Hm? Lottsa math. Makes my head hurt. I like this one:

22RF<....................................30-'06...........................................>460W
Not much ............................Sufficient............ .....................Whole Bunch

..............Buckshot

Bullshop
09-18-2005, 11:02 AM
.............Hm? Lottsa math. Makes my head hurt. I like this one:

22RF<....................................30-'06...........................................>460W
Not much ............................Sufficient............ .....................Whole Bunch

..............Buckshot
Buckshot
I do apreciate you posting your recoil scale as I am math challenged. This has always been one of my great concerns in my shooting to have an accurate assessment of recoil energy to log with each set of load data. From what I see your system is extreamly accurate and useful for developing this type of data. Thank you so much for sharing this information here. I realise it must have taken countless hours of test shooting to develope and it is so generous of you to share. Thank you Sir you are truely a master!
Friend/BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
09-18-2005, 02:01 PM
C-man....

Thanks for the math formula. My CZ x 9.3 scores a 25 with the Nosler 286's, and the Ruger #1 x 45-70 using the Speer 400's at 1850 gets to 32. Sort of like that George Carlin bit about slamming into a tanker truck at 70 MPH--"Oh, f--k me, FLAMMABLE!).

Buckshot
09-19-2005, 02:39 AM
...........Bullshop, you're sure welcome to use it. I did get bogged down a couple times in refining it, but I did eventually get it all lined out and catagorized.

...........Buckshot