PDA

View Full Version : Stockpiling reloaded ammo vs. stockpiling components

opos
09-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Talking with a buddy last evening about his reloading "frenzy"...he's a moderate shooter and has been loading up all his components at break neck speed for all his calibers to "be prepared" for the next big shortages...I am a low volume shooter right now and while I do stockpile a bit of hand loaded ammo along with some factory ammo I bought from an estate when a friend passed away...I prefer to keep my "stash " in component form...if things get tough there is always a ready market for components but I seem to sense that reloaded ammo...even if the loader is "known" really has little or no value to most shooters...often only for the component value when it's broken down...I know I don't shoot anyone elses reloads and I don't sell mine...Just wonder if folks keep components for the most part or if you load it all up...and why...just some conversation for a quiet afternoon.

dragon813gt
09-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Components won't do you any good when you have to bug out because of the nuclear ebola zombie riots. Better have the ammo loaded so all you have to do is grab your AR w/ 8 million accessories on it and throw it in your off road vehicle that's loaded down w/ lots of jerry cans.

BruceB
09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
For my part, loaded ammunition is the only commodity that would have value TO ME in times of dire emergency.

Therefore, I also only keep ammunition in decent quantities for a selected few of the twenty-or-so calibers that I load. I have only incidental quantities of the other calibers.

The chosen calibers are dependent on the firearms I will rely upon, and thus are:

-.223/5.56

-7.62 NATO/.308

-.30'06

-9mm

-.45 ACP

That list sure looks familiar, doesn't it?

In my situation there is no question of being able to evacuate. If it comes right down to it, here I am and here I will stay. Anyone wishing me harm is doing so at his grave peril.

Just the way things are, gents.

lylejb
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I guess it depends on why you want to stockpile.

If you just want to have supplies on hand in case of future short supplies or high prices, then components are the way to go. This also allows you to use these for future rifles / calibers you may not have yet.

If you live in an area that's prone to hurricanes, tornados , floods, or wildfires, or otherwise believe you might need to evacuate your home quickly, loaded ammo is the way to go. It's much easier to toss an ammo can(s) in the truck than to round up press, primers, powder, bullets, ect.

Lee
09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
OK Rambo......................

P.S. (BruceB nailed it.......................)

M-Tecs
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I don’t worry about the next big zombie apocalypse or bugging out. I am concerned about shortages so I lean more to component stockpiling. What I am interested in this year may not be what I am interested in next year. That being said I do have a good supply of loaded ammo on hand.

Springfield
09-03-2014, 07:44 PM
You only need to load as much ammo as you can carry. After you bug out the rest will go to looters anyway, and it will just piss them off if it is components! Why give them loaded ammo?

2AMMD
09-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I live in the messed up state of Maryland. We are "LEGALY" only allowed (by Fire Marshal Regulations) to have 5 lbs. of smokeless and 5 lbs. of black stored in our residence. But there is no limit on loaded ammunition. That's quite a bit for the amount I shoot, but it probably wouldn't last some of you a month. If I want to have more ammunition than 5 lbs. can make, I will have to load it to comply with the regulations.
2AMMD

Garyshome
09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't stockpile...I HOARD! And just in case there is no time to reload 100,000,000 or so rounds, I keep em loaded!

rush1886
09-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Per BruceB--Here I am and here I will stay! Perhaps perish in the events, so be it. Buggin out, ain't on the list.

With that said, I tend to maintain about a half and half approach. Enough loaded to see the wife and I thru the first waves of zombies and looters (including feds). Enough components to serve as a barter stash, 90 days or so, into the fray.
In my mind, the neighbor or his firearm, may not qualify, to handle my level of loads. But he may well need components, in exchange for salt, sugar, rice, beans, or Sour Mash.

Mumblypeg
09-03-2014, 09:01 PM
When I was a young teenager on a dove field with a precious 7 shells, I watched a fellow open his vehicle and pull out a whole case of shotshells.... I said to myself, "One day I will not run out of ammo and have plenty to spare." I kept that promise to myself and have plenty loaded and in component form..... That's all I got to say about that.....

GhostHawk
09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm with rush, screw bugging out, I intend to board up the doors, make the house look unlived in, and hang out in the basement.

I prefer a balanced approach with some loads ready to go, and a fair stock of powder, primers, and lead.

About a case of 12 ga shotgun ammo in everything from trap loads to goose loads.
Several hundreds of rounds of 7.62x39 in both handloads and factory rounds for the SKS.
Couple hundred for the Mosin's should be more than enough, god help my shoulder if it isn't. :)

Ed Barrett
09-03-2014, 09:19 PM
I live in an area that most people would consider a place to "bug out" to. I will sit around and reload during daylight.

canyon-ghost
09-03-2014, 09:20 PM
I prefer to think in terms of what I can do. Can't shoot components, can shoot loaded ammo. I like to go to the range and have a good time.

Recluse
09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
I prefer a balanced approach with some loads ready to go, and a fair stock of powder, primers, and lead.

I enjoy casting and reloading even more than I enjoy shooting, so I always have a decent backstock of components on hand.

But since I enjoy reloading more than I do shooting, and I'm often in my shop casting and reloading. . .

:coffee:

TheDoctor
09-03-2014, 10:26 PM
You can only carry so much ammo if you "bug out". Always get a kick from that idea. Most people have not the slightest clue where they will go, they just know that they have to go. Good luck with that. Components will be worth much more for sale or trade to certain types of individuals than loaded rounds will be. In the past several years, primers, unopened powder, and projos have been selling for a premium. Not so much for reloaded ammo. Most sensible people will not touch it.

9w1911
09-03-2014, 10:34 PM
the last to houses I rented both backed wilderness everyone will head this way but there is lots of places to hide and I know the Sierra well. Fire is my big concern here. If society collapsed I think we would have fair warning to make some component caches and to load up all my brass. Plus I know where the deer winter :)

MaryB
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I keep it n components and load what I need for range rips and hunting on a monthly basis. But I do have a good supply of Mosin ammo in the spam can(how the heck did they open those in a hurry???), 00 buck for the shotgun, and cheap steel 7.62x39 for the SKS

richhodg66
09-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Here's why I like to keep a good supply (I wouldn't call it stock piling). Sometimes things get short. There's always the possibility that the antis will tax ammo and components out of reach and if nothing else, it's a good hedge against inflation to lay in some when it's cheap.

Also, sooner or later, I plan on being retired for good and living on a more fixed income, so, all those components will start getting used as I get more time and less income. Same with neat guns I have that I don't shoot much now, when I can't afford new guns, there'll be some "new to me" guns to play with.

pretzelxx
09-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I have not been able to find powder at a half decent rate when i have extra money, so i have mostly components and a ton of unfinished work. However, the moment i get a pound or a keg of powder i will load every last primer and grain of powder i can!

DeanWinchester
09-03-2014, 11:09 PM
I hoard components. I like to store them premeasured in little brass tubes.

wyrmzr
09-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I like to hoard some of both; my bug out location, if I'd actually have to leave a town of under 400 people, is under 5 miles away. That does leave me more likely than many to be able to get back to not only more loaded rounds, but the components to make them.

shooterg
09-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm comfortable with 1000 loaded rounds on hand for each firearm in BruceB's favorite calibers and components for many more.

SSGOldfart
09-03-2014, 11:27 PM
For my part, loaded ammunition is the only commodity that would have value TO ME in times of dire emergency.

Therefore, I also only keep ammunition in decent quantities for a selected few of the twenty-or-so calibers that I load. I have only incidental quantities of the other calibers.

The chosen calibers are dependent on the firearms I will rely upon, and thus are:

-.223/5.56
-7.62 NATO/.308

-.30'06

-9mm

-.45 ACP

That list sure looks familiar, doesn't it?

In my situation there is no question of being able to evacuate. If it comes right down to it, here I am and here I will stay. Anyone wishing me harm is doing so at his grave peril.

Just the way things are, gents.

Did you copy my list???????

Same as above

BruceB
09-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Having a "reasonable" amount of both components AND ammunition is much like having a comfortable balance in the bank account. We sleep better and feel more secure in our lives.

Regardless of what we might actually use the ammo and components FOR, it's the same reason I give for concealed carry:

IT GIVES ME OPTIONS.

Options that I would not have, if I didn't carry a handgun, and options I would not have if I didn't have the components/ammunition.

By way of explaining my earlier post, I must point out that I do not have the options possessed by most people. I'm confined to a wheelchair, and whatever happens to me is indeed going to happen "right here". I think and hope that I'm as prepared as I possibly can be, but the proof of that remains to be seen.

My handloading is operating on components that were mostly purchased four, five, even ten years ago, and being a caster with 40,000 primers and eighty pounds of powder does allow some peace of mind. I suspect my "stash" will survive longer than I will, given 71 years and shaky health.

One day at a time, one day at a time.... keep looking at the top of the grass!

BruceB
09-03-2014, 11:46 PM
"A man's intelligence may be assessed by the extent to which he AGREES with you."

(Or words to that effect).

Well, I have top-line, reliable rifles and handguns in all the mentioned calibers, and the brass is surely just about the easiest to find.... specifically including military brass, which gives us more OPTIONS (where have I heard that word recently???).

Artful
09-04-2014, 12:14 AM
If I have 1000 loaded rifle cases - how many times can I reload them - lets say 5 so for every case I need power, primers and either lead or precast boolits to make at least 5000. - That's the way I look at it.

Love Life
09-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Meh. I had some of each until it flew off my truck and into the Mississippi River.

retread
09-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I can't seem to leave empty brass sitting around. If it is there it is just screaming to be loaded. I shoot to cast and reload I guess! Must be a disease.

NewbieDave007
09-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Meh. I had some of each until it flew off my truck and into the Mississippi River.

Don't tell me your firearms were all with them too?!?!

Love Life
09-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Nah, I sold the firearms to some fellow outside of a gunshow.

NewbieDave007
09-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Glad to hear it. Those things are dangerous. Plus if you had then I'd have to go diving in the river... just to protect the children that is.

jaysouth
09-04-2014, 01:33 AM
I live in a subdivision of 31 upscale homes to upwardly mobile yuppies and retired professionals. I have spent five years figuring out which household has what supplies. After using my gun taking their supplies, I have figured which of the remainder would taste good if push really came to shove. If I can keep the zombies out, I should have a good five years worth of food and supplies if the neighbors taste as good as I think they would. The yuppies who are so opposed to guns and people with guns, would be the first ones plundered and eaten.

BruceB
09-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Years ago, an airplane on a medical evacuation flight in the Arctic went far off course and crashed. There was a fruitless search that lasted for weeks. A nurse, her patient, and a passenger were killed and the pilot badly injured. It was winter time and survival was extremely difficult.

Cannibalism became the final resort.

The company that owned the airplane was Gateway Aviation. For many years thereafter, the "in" joke in the area's flying community was that a "Gateway survival kit" was a knife, a fork, .... and a passenger.

waksupi
09-04-2014, 02:11 AM
The "Mountain Man Survival Kit" is the name and address of six Mormans.

justingrosche
09-04-2014, 03:18 AM
My knees are too shot to run, and my back can't handle the weight of a heavy rucksack for very long so I'll have to dig in and wait it out.
I do keep a small bug bag in my rig. Mostly to give me enough supplies to make it home on foot if the roads are clogged with cars.
My inventory is likely 80/20, componets/loaded ammunition.

trails4u
09-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm with Rush on this one.....I try to keep a fair share of both. Components are nice for barter, and for raising quick cash when you need it. In fact, I'm selling off some Krag brass right now to help cover some medical expenses. It does come in handy.... On the other hand....I also like to keep a healthy supply loaded, particularly for the primary defensive pieces. Everything in moderation....or something like that!! :)

searcher4851
09-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I like to keep a modest stockpile of components on hand. I keep enough ammo reloaded for several months worth of my shooting needs. I never liked having an opportunity to go shoot arise, and then have to hurry loading ammo to use. I try to keep most of my brass loaded all the time. Having empty brass just seems like a waste of precious space. I replace brass as needed or when I find a good deal on bulk brass. I wasn't caught short in the last component shortage, and don't plan on being caught short in the next one. As far as some sort of uprising occurring, I'm sure I will have been over run long before I run out of loaded ammo, if it comes to that, so I don't worry about it.

mold maker
09-04-2014, 08:58 AM
I enjoy having on hand enough loaded for present use, but having components for several years, leaves me with the most options.
At 72 and having a wheelchair bound wife means bugging out is going to bed. We wont go easy, but we wont go upright.
The empty store (ammo) shelves have been little more than a minor inconvenience, and a reason to dig out and check the home stored stock.

WILCO
09-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I buy what I want. I load what I feel like. The rest isn't going to matter. Life is short. Have fun. Make the most of it.

dragon813gt
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM

I hope all your evil firearms and reloading tools went w/ them. Can't have that stuff in your new home. After all, you have to keep your children safe.

tygar
09-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I actually do both. I have 4-5k of each of the standards 9mm, 40, 45, 5.56, 308, 06 plus fair amounts of stuff I shoot a lot.

Then I have large amounts of powder, primers & bullets.

The loaded stuff is for the bugout/war & components for shortages.

spfd1903
09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
This is a great topic. I load and cast for 9 pistol calibers and 7 rifle calibers. Before starting to hand load, I always saved all my brass, and with range pickup, and sweep ups from a LE range, gun shows, etc., I have tons of brass(Except .30-30 Win). Hard to project what future calamity would necessitate a bug out. Already discussed with select neighbors and the adult children about distributing duplicate caliber firearms and ammo during an upheaval. Meanwhile I plan to continue casting and loading until the brass supply has diminished. good food for thought!

owejia
09-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Have several thousand loaded in common calibers plus components to load several thousand more. Plan on casting and powder coating several thousand boolits this winter for long term storage. Can never have too much money in the bank or to much ammunition on hand, I sleep easier at night knowing this.

knobster
09-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Good thread! I tend to enjoy casting/reloading more than shooting so I have plenty of components to keep me busy for a least a year without making additional purchases. As far as all the reloaded ammo, well, that's what the reinforced concrete shelves are for.

km101
09-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I keep a large stash of loaded ammo because I shoot frequently and don't want to have to load hurriedly before I go to the range.
So I have a few thousand of each handgun caliber that I shoot, and more in .223 and .308. I only have a few hundred in most of the "hunting" calibers but I can quickly assemble more if needed.

But I have a LARGE amount of all the necessary components on hand in case of another shortage. I try to keep a balanced supply, but plenty of each as far as the ammo to component ratio goes.

Bugging out is not an option for me. I cant be more than a month's supply away from a pharmacy or hospital, and neither can my wife, so I will have to hunker down and ride it out, whatever "it" may be. So plenty of ammo and even more components.

dakotashooter2
09-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Components give you a bit more flexibility in the long run. I try to stay heavy on shotgun/pistol powders because I can also use them for cast bullet rifle loads. Loaded ammo makes some sense if you have many guns in the same caliber. If one gun breaks down you just move on to the next however it also limits you if you have to scavage for ammo. In handguns have 380, 9mm, 38/357, 40 cal, 41 cal and 45 caliber. If my 380 breaks down I won't have 1000 rnds of 380 I can't use or have to break down to reload one of the other cartridges. Since I shoot mostly cast even if I have extra boolits of a caliber I don't have in service I can melt them down and recast something I can use. If I run out of small pistol primers I can utilize the components I have on hand and produce ammo for the cartridges that use large pistol primers. The downside is if I need a lot of ammo fast I'm not gonna have it. But If I need that much ammo at one time chances are I'm probably not gonna survive even if it was available. If the SHTF it is likely that one of the first things I do is split up the stash of components and distribute some to backup locations so I can stay mobile.

cbrick
09-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I always get a chuckle out of people planning to "bug out". I wonder how many of them would actually end up in a worse place than they bugged out from. (unless of course they live in downtown Detroit or Chicago). If it's the gubment they plan on bugging out from just where do you think you'll go that there isn't at least as much gubment? If they want you that bad they aren't going to send a meter maid to knock on your door. Probably a safe bet that it won't be the local traffic cop either. I have more loaded than I could shoot before a rocket from a helicopter 5 miles away turns the whole pace into a crater.

Most of my supplies are components simply because what I am shooting this year is different than what I was shooting last year and probably different than what I'll be shooting next year. What could be the point of turning all supplies into this years ammo? I recently ran across a loaded box of 35 BB, I haven't had that rifle in 20 years so it's a good thing I didn't turn all my components at the time into that wildcat.

Rick

youngmman
09-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I always get a chuckle out of people planning to "bug out". I wonder how many of them would actually end up in a worse place than they bugged out from. (unless of course they live in downtown Detroit or Chicago). If it's the gubment they plan on bugging out from just where do you think you'll go that there isn't at least as much gubment? If they want you that bad they aren't going to send a meter maid to knock on your door. Probably a safe bet that it won't be the local traffic cop either. I have more loaded than I could shoot before a rocket from a helicopter 5 miles away turns the whole pace into a crater.

Most of my supplies are components simply because what I am shooting this year is different than what I was shooting last year and probably different than what I'll be shooting next year. What could be the point of turning all supplies into this years ammo? I recently ran across a loaded box of 35 BB, I haven't had that rifle in 20 years so it's a good thing I didn't turn all my components at the time into that wildcat.

Rick
Or bug out to nowhere and end up in a government camp where they will confiscate weapons and ammo in exchange for food and a place to sleep for your family. I'll stay where I am and if I have to go it will not be gently.

waksupi
09-04-2014, 03:08 PM
When the bug out comes up, so many say, well, I'll just head for the mountains. What makes you think you are wanted in the mountains? I don't want you. If really hard times hit, and you haven't already been living here, and learned how to survive in the mountains, you are pretty much signing your own death warrant.

Forty Rod Ray
09-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Never enough ammo, never enough water....

TheGameMaster
09-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I tend to just hoard components, but mostly just to cover me if there is a major shortage again. And when see something in stock that I could use, I'll buy it and keep it in my stores. I was blessed the last shortage, as I had an adiqute stash of primers and powder. I only reload for: 7.65x53 Argentine (1), .380 (2), 9mm (2), 327 Fed. Mag. (1, also load 32 S&W Long for her), .357 Mag. (1, also load 38 Spcl. for her), 40 S&W (1, also load 357 SIG and 9mm for her), 10mm (1, also load 357 SIG and 40 S&W for her), 45 ACP (1), and 12 gauge (1). I own other guns, but these are ones I reload for. Of these, my wife carries one of the .380s, so it's never used. The .357 is our nightstand gun, so its never used. There isn't anywhere near to us to use the 12 gauge, so its never used. And I carry my pink 9mm so it gets used a lot :-). I have coffee cans full of once fired brass for everything I load. I reload and cast for 9mm just for fun, and to give it away to friends. Yet I do have a small stash of factory on hand simply to have them in case I am in a hurry to get to the range and am short on something I didn't get reloaded in time. When I go to the range, I normally just shoot my 10mm, 327 Fed. Mag., 9mm, and my Argentine. I usually shoot 357 SIG in my 10mm more than anything else I reload for. Its easier to spot the 357 SIG brass if there are a lot of other shooters around. I keep about four of the 100 round boxes loaded for each caliber, so no real hoarding of loaded ammo. Just enough to go shooting once a week or so for about two hours.

Bunny Trail: But I really love the 327 Fed. Mag. It still boggles my mind that it didn't take off, as its more powerful than 357 Mag., smaller, and is more accurate with a better BC then 357 Mag. If people looked at the science, it should blow away (pun intended) 357 Mag. I think the main reason everyone but Ruger (they still make a GP100 in it) dropped it is the factory ammo was so freakishly expensive. I thought 10mm and 357 SIG were bad, but 327 Fed. Mag. was just mind blowing as to how a cheaper cartridge for the factory to load was so much more expensive than everything else (except maybe 50AE & 500 S&W) retail. $40 a box for the cheap "practice" ammo is just silly. I found some on sale for $27.99! While 38 special runs $23 a box.

Rodney

Bonz
09-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I always thought that storing loaded ammo was safer than storing components. And then I read a few articles where people were talking about their house catching on fire and the firemen refusing to try to put out the fire because of all the loaded ammo going off. So, I just store some of each ;-)

+1 on never being able to carry enough loaded ammo in a bug out bag. But its certainly easier to carry some loaded ammo than carrying all my reloading equipment, components, brass, etc… Yep, my wife and I will stay at home and tough it with the rest of you guys...

jlucke69
09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
I only load in the winter, so I try to keep a year's worth loaded for range trips. Everything else is components. Since I share powders and primers between multiple calibers, it is more flexible to leave it in component form. When times were tight recently, it was easier to swap components I had extra of for ones I was short on. I have also been known to decide I have been hoarding and selling a load of components turning them into another gun.

dragon813gt
09-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I always thought that storing loaded ammo was safer than storing components. And then I read a few articles where people were talking about their house catching on fire and the firemen refusing to try to put out the fire because of all the loaded ammo going off. So, I just store some of each ;-)

SAAMI has a lengthy video of them burning up pallets of ammo. It doesn't cause much risk in a fire. A round needs to be contained in a chamber to build up pressure. The fireman have more to worry about when it comes to propane tanks and all the chemicals we store in our homes.

Psypher
09-04-2014, 09:25 PM
It would be wise to retain components unloaded to trade to those with other calibers for wshtf.

BrassMagnet
09-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Have several thousand loaded in common calibers plus components to load several thousand more. Plan on casting and powder coating several thousand boolits this winter for long term storage. Can never have too much money in the bank or to much ammunition on hand, I sleep easier at night knowing this.

There was just a nice haircut for Cypriots with too much money in the bank.
I'm told our haircut is coming to a bank near you soon!

Gator 45/70
09-04-2014, 10:36 PM
The only time that a man has too much ammo is when he's trying to swim with it.

TXGunNut
09-04-2014, 10:43 PM
I've increased my inventory levels of components in recent months. I've never run out but I got a little concerned this time. I don't keep much ammo around, a little is probably more than I'll need in an emergency anyway. Reloading is good therapy; bad day at work-reload/cast, GF gets stupid-reload/cast, politicians get stupid-reload/cast, neighbors get stupid and bug out-reload/cast.
For the bug-out crowd; do you really think those folks that live in remote areas want you to invade their homes? Do you think they may have guns & ammo and a right to defend their homes? Do you realize they are quite familiar with the lay of the land and will have the homefield advantage?

bushboy
09-04-2014, 11:26 PM
there was just a nice haircut for cypriots with too much money in the bank.
I'm told our haircut is coming to a bank near you soon!

truth

No_1
09-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Excellent thread! I have both loaded and components. I keep 1k of hand loads for each of my prefered calibers (38/357 & 45ACP), a "few" factory sealed ammo cans of surplus mil spec 308 for my M1A, 1k of 22 RF, and a "few" cases of bird shot, buck shot, slugs for the 12 & 16 gauge guns on hand. I also have components to load all for all of my calibers. Currently I do not shoot as much as I use to but could ramp up the quantity of loaded on hand in short order if needed.

snowwolfe
09-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I am not much into hoarding ammo other than .22 simply because I shoot so much of it. My goal is to have enough components.

I just pray we never see anything as bad as another Sandy Hook or other mass killing with a firearm because if we do you the shortages we seen in the last 2 years will seem like nothing compared to what will happen.

BrassMagnet
09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
I learned how to cast and reload at home from my Dad as a small child.

In my late teens and early twenties I set my self up for reloading. You can read a little bit about how I did that in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?197700-Handgun-range-brass-for-quot-Pearl-of-Wisdom-quot-(ALL-WELCOME)

While I was setting up to reload and cast, I had a supervisor in the Navy with a rather interesting theory that fits well in this thread. So here it is to stir the pot:

Doc liked surplus military rifles. Arisakas, Mausers, Enfields, you name it and he liked it! Doc believed in keeping 100 rounds of ammo on hand for each rifle (A combat load!) and components to reload the original 100 brass three times.

I thought that was a pretty cool theory. Then I started thinking about the details of trying to bug out of Los Angeles. There aren't very many routes to leave and they all go through really bad neighborhoods. I think leaving before the black swan event is possible and after is not. Once you leave the city you have to deal with the mountains and the deserts. Not viable on foot. Not likely to be passable on roads. Have any of you heard I don't live there anymore?

Now we get down to reloading equipment and components or loaded ammo. If I had to carry a nice press and reloading dies, components, trimmers, etc versus loaded ammo, how many rounds of ammo would equal the weight of the tools to load ammo my normal way?
Could I cheat and try to have the best of both worlds?
All of my Seal buddies say if you aren't cheating you aren't trying!
I know with lesser tools I could not reload ammo to the standards I load to now or in the quantities I can load in a timely manner now. However, wouldn't it be a great benefit to be able to load a little bit of ammo in just about any caliber capable of adequate hunting accuracy at 200 yards with minimal and light weight tools?
Here is a thread on another site on how to do that:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_reloading.html

Now I know none of you have ever seen me buy Lyman 310 hand tools, Lee Loaders, or Lee Hand Presses which use standard 7/8x14 thread dies. Nope I wouldn't even consider it! Never even thought of it! Surely a 310 tool isn't quieter then a Whack a Molee tool! Surely being quiet while focused on reloading wouldn't matter!
So it is absolutely clear that I would never set up a portable tool kit in an ammo can with a label stating what calibers it can be used to load and what components need to accompany it.
Additionally, since all of my casting is geared toward moulding large quantities of high quality cast boolits, I would never even consider single cavity moulds, ladles, or low tech methods of sizing and lubing boolits such as Lyman 310 boolit sizers, Lee push through sizing dies, or cookie cutters. You have never seen me buy any of those, either!
And last of all, I have never read, or even seen "American Guerilla In The Philippines," by Ira Wolfert (Simon & Shuster, 1945), so I don't have it loaned out to Cag40Navy to read at this time.

blackthorn
09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Bug out? Not likely! I figured out a long time ago that if you are not packed, ready to go AND are not on the road within minutes of whatever SHTF---you are not likely to get far before you are bogged down amongst all the others with the same goal! SO---I'll just stay right here and be prepared to protect what is mine!

Gator 45/70
09-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I saw someone mention water/loosing firearms/bugging out.
Where I live this is normal since I'm on the water at least 6 months out of the year.

I've actually sunk 2, Flipped several and lost several firearms, I need to slow down sometimes.

dakotashooter2
09-05-2014, 12:21 PM
I have considered keeping a small stock of military cartridges (5.56or 7.62x 39) or components which I do not have a gun for. They could be used for barter OR for a pickup or scavenged weapon which might be acquired.

DeanWinchester
09-05-2014, 12:27 PM
A wise fellar would have a good balance of both. Components are great and I try to keep a healthy stash but assembling them in a pinch ain't gonna work.

What I've done is work up loads for specific guns I KNOW will be the last ones in my hands. They are reliable and accurate. Then, I loaded a generous amount of them and sealed them up in ammo cans. By the grace of God, I will die and never open them.....but it's there should I need them. For my hunting, plinking and all around fun, I keep components and brass on hand because honestly, does load development ever really end? No, of course not. Even the perfect load needs "tweaking" especially when we get bored.

shdwlkr
09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Well I like to have both loaded ammo and components. I understand the idea that loaded is ready to go and that if you have to assemble it takes time but I don't see when the shtf that all you are going to be doing from daylight to dark and maybe beyond is shooting. So I have both and can do both.
As to bugging out well here where I am there are lots of places to disappear too. If you have a 4x4 and are a little adventurous.
I see my real life challenges being flooding, forest fires, tornadoes, earthquakes, bad snow storm so I look at things a little differently then many.
Today I watched the same individuals we will call them scalpers waiting for the LGS to open so they could run back and get the first picks on 22 ammo. Me at my age and with life issues it takes longer so I get to chose the leftovers and yes so far there has been enough to sort of keep me happy. I get my 3 boxes and glad there was 3 for me to pickup. Do I ever see me having enough 22lr not as long as I have two kids that are willing to go out and shoot it up with dad.

mjwcaster
09-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Some great responses, but i didn't take the original question as a SHTF situation, more of looking towards another ammo/component shortage.

With that in mind-
I am just getting back into reloading and just getting into casting.
My goal is 5000 rounds each of my major pistol calibers, 45, 9mm, 380 and a thousand or 2 of 38spl.
Add in 5000 rounds of 40 if/when I start reloading that.
And maybe more 45, because I am looking at getting a compact 45 and think I will try some light loads with 185gr boolits (normally load hotish 230's to replicate my carry loads).

I am just looking to keep enough ammo to shoot for 2 years at least, maybe more. Another reason for more 45, since it is my go to caliber, I just shoot 380 because of a pocket pistol I carry. And I really don't even shoot 9mm, but I will get more 9mm handguns eventually.

And I would like to get a 45 carbine, so another reason for more 45. Let's make it a goal of 10K of 45.

So for me right now it is easy, keep lots of the handgun calibers I shoot regularly.

I would also like to keep a nice supply of components on hand, so lets say a lot of both.

And I will have to expand as I get more into rifles.

BruceB
09-05-2014, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=DeanWinchester; What I've done is work up loads for specific guns I KNOW will be the last ones in my hands. They are reliable and accurate. Then, I loaded a generous amount of them and sealed them up in ammo cans. QUOTE

I believe I've gone a slightly-different direction from that taken by Dean. Do these "specific guns" have "specific loads" for each one?

I have multiple guns in all the calibers listed in my first post on this thread.

Therefore, I've worked-up loads in each caliber that work in ALL the firearms I own in that specific caliber.

The accuracy requirements for defensive work are far less demanding than, say, varmint shooting. Acceptance standards for military rifles typically demand minimum groups of as much as four inches at 100 yards..... all my rifles and loads will handily beat that mark, even with my "generic" ammunition.

The rifles and loads are reliable and I have confidence in them. The handgun ammo only has to meet one criterion: it must FUNCTION in my guns.... that's all I ask.

So.... if I pull a box of "7.62/.308" off the shelf, it will function in any of my three rifles for that chambering, and deliver decent accuracy out to several hundred yards (better accuracy than most service rifles will deliver).

Any box of 9mm will function in any of my 9mm guns, and likewise, so will the .45 stuff function in any of my .45s.

The rifle ammo for bad-times service usually has jacketed bullets. This is due to the higher speeds and excellent terminal bullet performance available from such bullets. However, I have identified cast-bullet loads that will perform at least adequately, if not quite as well as the good jacketed ones.

Just yesterday I gave my M1A a workout with one of its favored cast-bullet loads..... perfect function, and good accuracy in 300-yard plinking. Cost per round was likely around ten cents.... I saw .22 LONG RIFLE ammo for that much yesterday!