PDA

View Full Version : Report: Missing Libyan jetliners raise fears of suicide airliner attacks on 9/11

Bonz
09-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Absolutely lovely, they scheduled my major surgery on September 11th...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/02/report-missing-libyan-jetliners-raise-fears-suicide-airliner-attacks-on-11/

starmac
09-03-2014, 09:45 PM
More like the report is designed to raise fears, the airliner would be shot down if it tried.

Bad Water Bill
09-04-2014, 01:53 AM
IIRC back in April BHO graciously granted permission for Libyans to come hear and train in flying those birds.

With all of the satellites floating in space we should be able to find and track those planes "if we really wanted to".

MtGun44
09-04-2014, 02:59 AM
"shot down if it tried" ---- pretty optimistic, hope you're right. If they have any real pilots
that know how the air traffic system works, look out. It isn't very hard to file a
flight plan to a major US airport, then either land and offload a couple hundred fully
armed terrorists or divert at the last minute and hit something nearby. Unless you
do something odd to attract attention, I know of no particular way to pick out an
airplane as a problem if it "acts normally".

All they have to do is do a bit of research, maybe find a cargo airlines that only has a few
planes and file a flight plan for that company. Not sure that we can verify 100%, at least
they didn't in the past, hope they check more now. One possibility, they might join in the traffic
flow across the Atlantic, and form up behind a normal airliner by maybe a few hundred
feet and follow him in. 2nd plane's radar return will merge with his at long range and until
VERY close, it would not be noticed. The legit airliner would have no way to know it
was there.

Smart folks can game the system. Maybe even do a real cargo run to get the aircraft
into the system with legit paperwork. Start a small cargo airline in South America,
(lots with one or two aircraft) and fly from some small airport in a small country with
cargo to some big US city on a real flight plan hauling some real cargo. Then on
the second trip - do something "different". Lets hope that they don't have the money,
people and resources to get this "fancy".

I would hope we have put some systems in place to sniff out funny business, but I am
not to sure that there are no holes in the system. I sure hope I am wrong and the
air traffic system is capable of finding unusual aircraft, but I am not convinced there
are no loopholes.

Bill

2wheelDuke
09-04-2014, 08:19 PM
"shot down if it tried" ---- pretty optimistic, hope you're right. If they have any real pilots
that know how the air traffic system works, look out. It isn't very hard to file a
flight plan to a major US airport, then either land and offload a couple hundred fully
armed terrorists or divert at the last minute and hit something nearby. Unless you
do something odd to attract attention, I know of no particular way to pick out an
airplane as a problem if it "acts normally".

All they have to do is do a bit of research, maybe find a cargo airlines that only has a few
planes and file a flight plan for that company. Not sure that we can verify 100%, at least
they didn't in the past, hope they check more now. One possibility, they might join in the traffic
flow across the Atlantic, and form up behind a normal airliner by maybe a few hundred
feet and follow him in. 2nd plane's radar return will merge with his at long range and until
VERY close, it would not be noticed. The legit airliner would have no way to know it
was there.

Smart folks can game the system. Maybe even do a real cargo run to get the aircraft
into the system with legit paperwork. Start a small cargo airline in South America,
(lots with one or two aircraft) and fly from some small airport in a small country with
cargo to some big US city on a real flight plan hauling some real cargo. Then on
the second trip - do something "different". Lets hope that they don't have the money,
people and resources to get this "fancy".

I would hope we have put some systems in place to sniff out funny business, but I am
not to sure that there are no holes in the system. I sure hope I am wrong and the
air traffic system is capable of finding unusual aircraft, but I am not convinced there
are no loopholes.

Bill

Considering the amount of money that ISIS has seized from the banks when they took over that much of Iraq, they probably have more liquid assets than the US Government does. They can literally buy nearly anything at this point.