PDA

View Full Version : A different way to pull bullets

fecmech
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
They say necessity is the "Mother of Invention" but so is stupidity. Yesterday while playing around changing powder bushings on my CH Auto Champ I managed to load about 25 .38 spl's with no powder. What happened was I have a sliding shut off that allows powder bushing changes without emptying the measure and I got distracted and did not push it back. If they were .357 mag cases I could simply run them up through a die hole in my turret, grab the boolit with diagonal cutters and lower the ram debulleting the case. The .38's are just too short to do that and I had no intentions of using one of those hammer pullers. I came up with putting the cartridge in the shell holder on the press and put a 7/8 X 1/2 inch drive socket over it with the bullet coming out the drive end of the socket when I raised the ram. Grabbed the bullet with my diagonal cutter, lowered the ram and cutter against the top of the socket, voila, boolit removed! Did all 25 in about 5 minutes. I know none of the other cast bullet members would ever load ammo with no powder but if one of your friends did, this might be helpful.

dragon813gt
09-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Let me know when you figure out a way to pull wadcutters that are seated almost flush. I had a squib and there were about 25 left in the box. They will not come out w/ an inertia puller.

Kskybroom
09-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Sheet Rock Screw .. Grab screw with cutter.....

foesgth
09-02-2014, 09:14 PM
You are correct, my friends aren't very smart. I will keep this in mind for them:mrgreen:

labradigger1
09-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I have cmkollett pullers bus use a kinetic hammer puller all the time. Collet pullers rarely get used. I have pulled many hundreds of bullets, factory and other peoples handloads with no issues and no collet marks. Primers need to be struck against the internal anvil to ignite. I am certain some people have had detonations but i have not.
Curious what you have against hammer pullers, i have an old (prolly early 70's) quinetics brand and love it.
Lab

fecmech
09-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Curious what you have against hammer pullers,
Too much like work! Also too slow.

kungfustyle
09-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Agreed it is to slow and painful... another reason to take the reloading thing one step at a time. Kinda like getting a spanking when you were a kid. With each one removed it drives the lesson home...one whack at a time.;-)

country gent
09-02-2014, 10:20 PM
The old rcbs swage tool had a cup that went over the ram to push the case off the swage stem. A piece of pipe or tubing that fits over the ram and correct length would work also. Hmm may be new life for those few lee c frames with the tops cracked or broken there. The trick to the kenitec pullers is to "limp wrist the blow letting them bounce back alot. A solid blow that dosnt allow it to bounce back looses alot of its pulling power. A solid base to hit it on helps alot. I have a piece of oak 30-36" in dia and roughly 24" tall in the garage it is a solid block to beat on. giving alot of power to the puller.

BrassMagnet
09-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Agreed it is to slow and painful... another reason to take the reloading thing one step at a time. Kinda like getting a spanking when you were a kid. With each one removed it drives the lesson home...one whack at a time.;-)

Always check what you have loaded against your load data paper to ensure you have really loaded what you planned to load.
Imagine my surprise when I found out I had loaded 1,000 rounds of 308 heavy ball ammo with a light ball powder charge. A day or two to load them and a week or two to unload them.
If a burned finger teaches a child about hot stoves and a burned epidermis teaches a teenager about sunburn dangers, then disassembling that many rounds can even teach a BrassMagnet!

Garyshome
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Don't mess up in the first place!

dragon813gt
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Don't mess up in the first place!

No one sets out to do this. And no matter careful you are mistakes can and will happen. I'm one of the most anal retentive people you will ever meet. I sure didn't set out to load a squib. I was intentionally loading really light charges. And I'm not sure if it was my fault or the powder measures. Either way I didn't mean to do this. I'm sure everyone else that has made a mistake didn't set out to make it.

willie_pete
09-03-2014, 10:21 AM
No one sets out to do this. And no matter careful you are mistakes can and will happen. I'm sure everyone else that has made a mistake didn't set out to make it.

I've never made a mistake; I thought I did once, but I was wrong. :mrgreen:

WP

dilly
09-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm with the school that says inertia bullet pullers are a form of penitence. Effective at making you desire to never mess up another round again.

jcwit
09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
I pulled and reloaded 50 9mm rounds last evening in 1 1/2 hours.

Whats the problem with the hammer type puller?

Dframe
09-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm with the school that says inertia bullet pullers are a form of penitence. Effective at making you desire to never mess up another round again.
Man do I EVER agree with that!!

Dave C.
09-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Remove the decaping rod from your size die. Run the ones that you want to pull through the die, they will now come out with the inertia puller the bullets are now under sized and must be thrown back in the pot to be reused.

jcwit
09-03-2014, 05:01 PM
To slow???????????????

I'm no longer in a hurry.

Those days are now in my past, Thank God.

BrassMagnet
09-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I pulled and reloaded 50 9mm rounds last evening in 1 1/2 hours.

Whats the problem with the hammer type puller?

1,000+ 9mm that need it. Now why did I ever get rid of that Ruger Blackhawk convertible? I could have shot up this ammo!

rmatchell
09-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Brass, Sounds like a good reason to pick up another ruger.

tygar
09-04-2014, 11:13 AM
And I had someone say I was silly since I said I would never use anyone else's reloads on another thread.

beagle
09-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Remove decapping rod from sizer die. Resize loaded round to depth of bullet. This normally squeezes down the bullet in size and you can pick out the wadcutters with a good set of fingernails or needle nose pliers. Recycle bullets, expand and you're ready to load the case./beagle

Let me know when you figure out a way to pull wadcutters that are seated almost flush. I had a squib and there were about 25 left in the box. They will not come out w/ an inertia puller.

WILCO
09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
I came up with putting the cartridge in the shell holder on the press and put a 7/8 X 1/2 inch drive socket over it with the bullet coming out the drive end of the socket when I raised the ram. Grabbed the bullet with my diagonal cutter, lowered the ram and cutter against the top of the socket, voila, boolit removed!

Congrats! That's one way to skin a cat!

Houndog
09-05-2014, 06:43 AM
You didn't say what brand and model press you have. If you will go to Tractor Supply or some other farm supply store and buy a tractor hitch pin adapter that will slip over the ram in your press you will have the adapter needed to use a pair of wire cutters to pull the boolet from any length round. There are 6 different diameter adapters available. I use a catagory 3 to catagory 2 lower hitch pin adapter on my rockchucker press and have for many years.

BTW: The only person that's never made a mistake reloading and had to disassemble a round is a person that has not reloaded anything!