PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vibratory case cleaner died :(

theMickster
09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
So, it stuttered a couple times, stalled out, and I hit the off button. The motor was super hot. I let it cool for about 3 hours. When I hit the on button it just humms. I think the motor is shot.
It's only processed about 1500 pieces.
What's the feeling on a wet pin tumbler?
I like the fact they clean much better and do the primer pockets too.
Any down side to a pin tumbler?

Mick

plainsman456
09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Whatever you do let RCBS know what happened and they will take care of you.

I have been looking into getting a wet setup just to see for myself,i have already tried the lemi-shine by itself and it does a job on tarnished stuff.

theMickster
09-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks Plainsman.
I'm just not sure I'm sold on the concept of just cleaning the outside of the case with the RCBS. I purchased some pin- tumbled .35 Rem from someone here and couldn't believe how clean it was inside and out.

Mick

Bonz
09-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I would contact RCBS and claim warranty. No sense in just throwing it away...

I converted to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins over a year ago and would never think about going back to vibratory cleaning with corncob/walnut.

The only downside that I can think of is the initial cost. I finally settled on the commercial model after trying the little Thumler Tumbler (cleans only 2 lbs at a time - in 4 hours). My commercial tumbler cleans up to 15 lbs of brass at a time and has a "lifetime warranty". I shoot a lot and clean a lot of brass, was spending a fortune on corncob and crushed walnut shells and was never really happy with the outcome. I learned quite a bit over time with the wet tumbler including using the right size SS pins so that they don't get stuck in the primer hole.

When I was 15 pounds of brass, it costs me some electricity, 2 gal of water, 3 tablespoons of Dawn dish detergent and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.

Also, the weight of the drum with 15 pounds of brass in it is heavy, probably over 50 pounds

upnorthwis
09-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Funny you should mention your RCBS vibratory bowl quitting. My first one that I had for only a few months quit and they sent me a new one on warranty. Last night that one quit. Will contact them again to see if this one can be replaced. Looks like they have a manufacturing problem. It also cost me moocho dollars to send the defective one back. I'm getting to be NOT HAPPY. My Frankfort Arsenal ran for about 15 years.

Gtek
09-02-2014, 05:58 PM
RCBS is one of if not the best in customer service I have ever encountered, I would contact them. One thing I did with my vibes, put the edges up on 2x4's and that lets a whole lot more airflow up through motor. I bought one of those red things with SS pins in it, more money, a little more work, a whole lot more WOW!

bruce381
09-03-2014, 01:03 AM
""The only downside that I can think of is the initial cost. I finally settled on the commercial model after trying the little Thumler Tumbler (cleans only 2 lbs at a time - in 4 hours). My commercial tumbler cleans up to 15 lbs of brass at a time and has a "lifetime warranty". I shoot a lot and clean a lot of brass, was spending a fortune on corncob and crushed walnut shells and was never really happy with the outcome. I learned quite a bit over time with the wet tumbler including using the right size SS pins so that they don't get stuck in the primer hole.

When I was 15 pounds of brass, it costs me some electricity, 2 gal of water, 3 tablespoons of Dawn dish detergent and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.

Also, the weight of the drum with 15 pounds of brass in it is heavy, probably over 50 pounds""

What brand tumbler did you buy?

Rick O'Shay
09-03-2014, 01:47 AM
I have a Model 1292 from Midway. I got about 14 years ago. The first year I made the mistake of plugging it into a light duty extension cord and burned the motor up. Midway replaced the motor and I haven't had any problems since.
I have my tumbler on a timer. I set it to come on for 30 minutes then off for 30 minutes. I'll let it run at night and check it the morning. It works good for me and makes it easy on the tumbler.

Rick.

Toymaker
09-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes, contact RCBS!!! They're customer service is fantastic.
I have a Thumbler Tumbler and love it. Some people have noted an "issue" with the belt but mine still has the original on it. It hasn't given me one moment of trouble.
For straight wall cases (38, 40, 45-70) I use the ceramic media with soap, Lemi-Shine and water.
For necked cases(243, 30-06, 308) I use the stainless steel pins with soap, Lemi-Shine and water.
While the instructions call for using Dawn I've found I get results that are as good using liquid laundry detergent - about half as much.
For black powder cases I substitute a tablespoon of old fashioned lye soap shaved off a bar.
Tumble time is one hour. That's all it takes.
Rinse, rack and dry. If I'm in a hurry I'll dry the tumbler drum, rinse the cases and put them back in the tumbler with corn cob for 30 minutes. They come out ready to load.
The media needs to be "cleaned" every once in a while. Put it in a 5-gallon bucket with a little soap and swirl it around. Rinse, dry and store.
ONE PROBLEM - TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION, PLUS ONE, TO PREVENT THE CERAMIC OR STEEL MEDIA FROM GOING DOWN THE DRAIN.

Bonz
09-03-2014, 08:43 AM
""The only downside that I can think of is the initial cost. I finally settled on the commercial model after trying the little Thumler Tumbler (cleans only 2 lbs at a time - in 4 hours). My commercial tumbler cleans up to 15 lbs of brass at a time and has a "lifetime warranty". I shoot a lot and clean a lot of brass, was spending a fortune on corncob and crushed walnut shells and was never really happy with the outcome. I learned quite a bit over time with the wet tumbler including using the right size SS pins so that they don't get stuck in the primer hole.

Also, the weight of the drum with 15 pounds of brass in it is heavy, probably over 50 pounds""

What brand tumbler did you buy?

I bought the 40lb Tumbler Reloading Kit from StainlessTumblingMedia. There is an advertising link at the top of the page. They do have great customer service but if I was going to buy a second one, I would try to find the same tumbler from either the manufacturer or another seller to see if I could save a few bucks. Also, I bought the complete kit and that kit included the smaller Stainless Steel pins, which double up and get stuck in the primer holes about 1% of the time. Doesn't sound like its quite often but it means you have to check every primer hole to make sure that 2 SS pins are not stuck in them. Trust me when I say that the Primer does not like being pushed into a cavity that is already occupied by 2 stainless steel pins… I ended up selling the original SS pins and buying the next size bigger from another seller which are working perfectly. Please feel free to PM me if you want more details. I do have major surgery coming up next week and will disappear for a few weeks. Hopefully for just a few weeks ;-)

44man
09-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Most of those motors are like a fan motor, bushings that need oil. Most have a felt pad near the bushing. If it gets dry the motor will not turn.
I have more trouble with fans. I spray soap through the motor, Simple Green is good, then flush with water. Leave in the sun to dry, take the motor apart and soak the felt with oil. Yes, you can wash a motor with soap and water, just let dry.
I have had to clean tumbler motors too. New oil fixes them.

rosewood
09-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Some of those motors look a lot like bathroom fan vent motors (not sure about yours). You can buy one of those fans for like $10 and steal the motor out if RCBS doesn't fix it or 44man's fix doesn't work.

HangFireW8
09-03-2014, 08:04 PM
My Lyman 3200 just turned 20 and is still going. I had to replace the center bolt once a decade ago. If it died tomorrow it wouldn't owe me a thing.

Trapperscott
09-04-2014, 10:30 PM
I built my wet/dry tumbler. If you do a search on Youtube for home made case tumbler or home made wet case tumbler, there are quite a few videos of it. I googled home made wet case tumbler and found a very good thread on AR15.com that had the detailed dimensions for the one I made. I have two vessels. One for wet with pins, one with dry walnut iguana bedding I get from the pet store. I made mine out of 8 inch pvc pipe. The fittings are a little pricey, but they will last me a life time.

theMickster
09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks Trapperscott!

Love Life
09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
I used stainless and corncob media together. I'd run in the stainless tumbler for an ultra clean, then run in the corn cob treated with NU-Finish to add a long lasting, tarnish preventing layer of polish on the brass.

I have brass bagged up that I ran through the cycle over a year ago.

However, once I quit the brass bidness I got rid of my stainless pin tumbler and just use corn cob in a Lyman tumbler. Gets my brass as clean as I need it to be to reload it and shoot it.

There was no tangible accuracy difference at 1,000 yds between ultra clean brass cleaned in stainless pins or just tumbled in corn cob.

flyingmonkey35
09-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I went ultrasonic

I got a small one from habor freight for 30 bucks. After 25% off coupon.

3 parts water 1part white vinger 1 drop of dawn.

15 minutes and they look new.

If I need them shiny into a tumbler for 10 mins.

since I I'm not cleaning tons at a time small batch's are fine with me.
[emoji205]
http://m.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html
On sale now for 35 bucks.