PDA

View Full Version : triggering question

birddseedd
09-01-2014, 10:21 PM
odd question here, and im not fully sure its me or the gun, my sights were worked on to try to check the problem, but I still seem to be shooting to the left. a couple inches. this can be caused by not enough trigger finger, but it seems to go away if i tuck my finger into the crease of my knuckle. it feels like im over compensating. is this bad? or maybe its just my hand, should i avoid this or work with it?

Larry Gibson
09-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Are you talking rifle or handgun?

Larry Gibson

birddseedd
09-01-2014, 10:59 PM
hand gun

9mm fns.

waksupi
09-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Just a trigger squeeze that needs educated.

Bullwolf
09-02-2014, 01:52 AM
I never put much stock in those pistol technique analysis targets...

But, others have said that they actually can help.

http://www.persecusa.com/images/shooti2-sm-r.gif

http://www.persecusa.com/pdf/pistol-shot-diagnostics-target.pdf

Try letting someone else who is a somewhat decent shot fire your gun. If it only happens when you shoot it, then it's likely a problem with your technique.

I recommend lots of dry fire practice to learn good trigger control, and a lot of live fire practice as well.

- Bullwolf

dubber123
09-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Quite likely it's you. I haven't been shooting much at all lately, and recently got a new handgun. I swore it shot an inch left at 25 yds. Within 100 rounds, it seems to have "fixed" itself, and I never touched the sights.. :) Apparently I had developed some bad trigger habits.

Stephen Cohen
09-02-2014, 05:52 AM
It is not hard to develop bad trigger habits, I had a bad batch of primers some time ago and the hang fires and duds played havoc with my shooting. I fixed it by single loading and concentrating on each and every shot.

birddseedd
09-02-2014, 10:06 AM
the sight itself is still screwy, they did seem to move it, but its slightly bent.

still seems that i shouldnt have to use too much trigger finger to be on target.

country gent
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Mount a spot on the wall and with no ammo ( triple check this before starting and no ammo in the room either) dry fire a few rounds at a spot on the wall Watch the sights and concentrate on them do they move with the trigger pull is the hold? true and steady? Dryfiring takes the recoilout of the equation allowing you to see what is happening. If your worried about harming your firearm pick up some snap caps for this. It will show alot. Another trick is to put 5-10 dummy rounds with dead primers together and have a friend load mags inserting one of these occasionaly into the mags with live ammo. The dummy round will show any flinch or trigger control issues quickly, If the gun jumps or moves on the dummy round there is a issue to deal with. I have found on some guns using the pad of the finger pushes left on the trigger during the pull the first joint may help with a straight pull especially with heavier trigger pulls.

birddseedd
09-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I do that just fine. Even with a snap cap on the sight. Think ill try the snap cap with live fire thing. See if im triggering different while shooting

Calamity Jake
09-02-2014, 11:10 AM
the sight itself is still screwy, they did seem to move it, but its slightly bent.

still seems that i shouldnt have to use too much trigger finger to be on target.

You may be gripping the gun to hard, just a firm hand shake grip is all that is needed with trigger finger
on the trigger just short of the first knuckle, squeeze the trigger with the one finger only,
not the whole hand.
Keep the wrist locked so you don't get stovepipe jams.

birddseedd
09-02-2014, 11:14 AM
is it bad if the trigger touches my knuckle, its not moving over the knuckle but kind of bumps into it.when I do this I do seem to start shooting better. But if it is it bad practice I don't want to develop a bad habit