PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lubriziser

Blackwater
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Had a problem with my lubrisizer that I've always been able to adjust out, but this time, nothing has worked. Cast some Lee 44-200-RNFP's, and when I went to lube them, got big gobs of Felix lube under the bullet, between the bullet base the ejector ram. Adjusted many times up and down, and STILL got the big gobs of lube. Very slow to lube bullets when you have to clean that goo from the bottom of each and every bullet! Not much fun, either.

I moved over to my Lyman with Emmert's (for BP normally), and changed to a Lyman 429 sizer die (had used the RCBS sizer with RCBS .430 die initially), and got the exact same situation. These loads are for .44 Spec. and a Rugere Flat Top I recently acquired, and I like a nice, soft lube for lower velocity rounds, usually.

Could the lubes in each case above be TOO soft, and THAT is what's causing my problem???? I'm stymied for the first time in a long while, and it ain't givin' me warm fuzzies, either! Anyone got an idea what's wrong? I know it's probably error somehow, or maybe bad choice of lube, or ..... ???? I'd appreciate any advice/solutions. Has anyone encountered this before .... and will admit it??? THanks in advance for any insight.

Yodogsandman
09-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Lower the stop setting under the sizer shaft. Use a top punch that will fit into your sizer die and push the boolit further in. Reduce the pressure a bit.

fishhawk
09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Thats been the problem for me now and then, I back off the pressure and the problem goes away after a couple boolits.

ShooterAZ
09-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I have had the same problem before, not often and usually with bevel based boolits. I agree, take the lube pressure down a notch. Soft lubes in warm temps flow almost like a liquid.

hickfu
09-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I ran into this as well with my new lubesizer... Good to know to let off the pressure! I adjusted it but it still was globbing at the base.

GP100man
09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
If memory serves me rite that`s a short stubby boolit & I had to put shot in the lower holes to prevent this from happening. Think it was 7 1/2.

Kimber bob
09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
yes, it is probably to much pressure. Also what kind of lube are you using some are much softer than others and in the heat of summer some lube can slip by the center portion of the die. Really 3 possiblities
1. To much pressure
2. to much play in the die (unlikely)
3. Not having the bullet in line with the holes when you size

Hope this helps

HangFireW8
09-01-2014, 09:29 PM
We've all been there. Besides too much pressure and the bottom stop position, sometimes the hole in the sizer die just sits at a bad spot and really wants to get loob just under the boolit. If its a tall boolit and you move it up then the top band is unfilled. Sometimes moving it much deeper is the answer. Sometimes I put RCBS dies in the 4500 or Lymans in the LAM2. Sometimes I give up and come back later and everything works OK.

Someone will be along shortly to tell us all we should be using a Star. If I could find even one for less than the cost of my two lubricizers plus my entire H&I die collection I'd be glad to give it a try.

Airman Basic
09-02-2014, 05:24 AM
Ragged sprue cutoff has rarely caused this for me.

Blackwater
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, I read everything here and finally got a call back from RCBS today, and I think my top punch may have been hitting the top of the sizer die. Haven't had a chance to check yet, but that seems the best solution so far. I DID adjust the stop up AND down and no change. It's not the handle pressure, either, but RCBS said I might try cranking the pressure in BEFORE I run the bullet down in the sizer. Not sure what that'd do, but I'moan try it anyway. Sheesh! 50 years loading, and 40 of it casting, and I feel like a rank roo kie! Yeah, these "Golden Years" are just great alright! But a man doesn't get this old by giving up.

Echo
09-02-2014, 09:01 PM
My guess would be that the as-cast diameter is smaller than the ID of the sizing die, and loob is being pushed down the sides of the boolits. So what IS the size of the boolits you are sizing? As-cast .428/.429 boolits through a .430 sizer will do what you describe (when coupled with high loob pressure) every time. Grossly out-of-round boolits will do it, too...

Blackwater
09-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Well, do I ever feel dumb! I checked the sizer, and lo and behold, the top punch I was trying to use was oversized and hit the ding dang top of the sizer die! Sheesh! Apparently, reality doesn't seem to care how long I've been doing this stuff, I've STILL got to be observant and ..... well, just plain RIGHT! I'm em-bare-assed! But I've been embarassed before, and survived. I think I'm going to blame this one on my recent surgery and the bad reactions to the drugs I was given. Yeah! THAT's the ticket! HAR! Joke's on me this time.

I really like this little bullet for the Special. Ctgs. just slide right into the cylinders rather than hanging up on the mouth like SWC's often do. Nice, easy to use load that'll be effective for 99.9% of what I'll be doing with it. Main goal, other than personal use, is training my eldest grandson in his budding career as a shootist. He's coming along just fine, but needs now to get into real "man's guns." and the mild 200 grainers should ease him into that so I can find at what point he needs to take a firmer grip on the Flat Top. I sure wish I had his eyes! Soon, maybe, I'll have TWO generations out-shooting me, and nobody'll be happier than me about that. Will move up to the Lyman 429215GC and some heavier loads for shootin' stuff deader when it looks like the time is right. Thanks for all the efforts to help, and sorry about taking up your time with some foolishness on my part. I knew I'd find the answer, sooner or later. This stuff ain't exactly rocket science, and I can't recall a single time where the answer didn't lie in the basic fundamentals. Problem is, we all, sooner or later, forget that, and try to find the answers in black magic and sacrificing chickens on the full moon, and stuff like that. If some of you up and comers learn something from this, I guess it'll have been worth it.

Dale53
09-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Blackwater;
Happy that you found a solution!

Don't beat up on yourself. The only people that never have problems are those that sit on their tuckus and never do anything!

Besides, your problem and the solution presented has probably helped others - can't complain about that:mrgreen:...

Dale53

Echo
09-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Way to GO, BW! To err is human, and we're all humans, all on the same big green lifeboat...

Blackwater
09-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Amen, Dale, but just to assuage my somewhat bruised ego (this ain't my first rodeo with stupidity), I just ordered an El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons holster and River belt ctg. belt for the Flat Top. THAT ought'a help, too! That's what I like about hunting, shooting, casting and lubing, and I guess I can add fishing, too: it keeps us humble ..... and watchful, too!

Bill in Ky
09-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Glad you found your problem !!
When I get lube under my boolet, taper base, I cut a piece of egg carton with a shell and put under the boolet, it seals it off pretty good..

bruce381
09-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Blackwater I have done what you did with the punch hitting the die many times, now I look there first.

Blackwater
09-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Bruce. That helps a little. I try very hard to be exacting in all I do because I know that there are enough variables without my inducing some of my own into the mix. I guess part of the reason I love hunting, shooting, reloading, casting, fishing, fly tying, etc., is BECAUSE I know I can never learn it all. What would life be without a constant challenge to keep us thinking and creating and solving the things that interest or puzzle us? Most of us try to keep our human frailties and moments of inattention out of the equation, but inevitably, they're always there, just waiting for an opportunity to jump out and bite us in the butt. Maybe at least it'll be someone else's turn next time???