PDA

View Full Version : Made My Paper Patch Bullet Molds

oldracer
09-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Well over the past several days I did some practice machine work and got my 0.438 diameter bullet mold(s) completed. I plan to cast some bullets today and wrap some this evening and try out a few tomorrow. I used the instructions from the website here to do the machining and ended up with a Creedmoor nose shape instead of the round one.

Here is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?141729-My-Homemade-Mold-for-an-Ugly-Paper-Patch-Bullet

The mold blocks were made from 6061 T-6 that are 2 x 2 inch and cut into a cube shape. I used a couple of sprue plates from some molds I no longer use which saved some time and machine work. The steps I followed are as follows:

1. Cut the blocks to size.
2. Make the "D" shaped cutters from hardened drill rod. Since my 3 in 1 lathe/mill has no automatic feed I cut the nose slowly to get the Creedmoor profile. I made the cutters loner than the 540 grain bullet to have extra.
3. Drill the small hole all the way through which is used for the bullet plunger to pop out the cast bullet.
4. Drill the larger diameter side in until the nose curve starts. This is smaller than the finished bullet diameter by 10 to 20 thousands.
5. Use the home made "D" cutter to enlarge the bullet sides and also cut the nose. I used some aluminum cutting lube and pulled the cutter frequently to get the chips out.
6. I made 3 molds with one having the same length bullet as my 540 grain grease groove Creedmoor and the other two 1/8 inch longer than the other so I'll see what the weight turns out to be.

I'll post some pictures later today when I get the battery charged up for the camera and see what the bullets look like.

johnson1942
09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
wow, that saved you some money when you made them your self. no doubt they will shoot. what size paper are you going to use with a .438 diam bullet. mine pp bullets are .440.