PDA

View Full Version : Linotype in Marlin Microgroove

Bzcraig
09-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I was reading through my Lyman's 4th last night trying to identify powders I should try since my favorites aren't to be found around here and read the paragraph they put at the beginning of each caliber. For the 30-30 data it states that for Marlins with micro groove rifling harder alloys like linotype work best. Since I don't have any Lino, can anyone who has tried Lino confirm this for me?

Outpost75
09-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Most important for the Marlin Microgroove barrels is to have a bullet which fits the bore, because the basic bore diameter is larger and the grooves are both narrow and shallow. Long bodied bullets work best. Bore riding types must have a forepart which is large enough to engrave in the rifling.

In my .44-40 rifle I use no harder than wheelweights, but do use an Accurate 43-200Q bullet which has an enlarged forepart which can be sized to throat diameter to compensate for worn bores, and this also takes positive engagement from the Microgroove barrel and shoots very well.

Char-Gar
09-01-2014, 03:08 PM
I have had very good luck in my Marlin 44 Mag levergun with an out of print RCBS 225 grain GC bullet. It has a short nose and a long body. I cast from ACWW and send it down range over 10/Unique. The as cast diameter is .431. I check and lube in a .432 die, which means the bullet is essentially unsized. The load shoots better than I can hold.

To tell the truth, this is the first load I tried and it has done so well for me, I saw no reason to hunt around for anything else. This load also shoots very well in my OM Ruger SBH.

There is so much nonsense floating about regarding microgroove barrels, some of it in print by folks who should know better. You don't need super hard bullets, just bullets that fit the larger MG barrels as Outpost75 said.

This load is pretty much a smidge hot 44-40 load, but it does everything I want and 44 Magnum brass isn't as cranky as 44-40 brass.

smkummer
09-01-2014, 04:03 PM
A buddy is have excellent results in his 30-30 MG barrel with water dropped wheel weights (about 20 BHN) and a ranch dog designed bullet. With wheel weights dropping at about 12 with no quenching or 20 with quenching, that really covers a lot of applications without adding costly tin or other alloys.

Tatume
09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Accuracy with the Lee C309-170-F using air-cooled wheel weight metal has been outstanding in my Microgroove Marlin 30-30.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574963/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c309-170-f-30-caliber-309-diameter-170-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

Take care, Tom

oldfart1956
09-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Bzcraig...tried it. Never again. Using the Lyman 311041 mold for the Marlin 336 in 30/30 and 2400 powder accuracy was marginally better. Perhaps 1/4 inch smaller groups at 100yds. The problem was in sizing. This mold drops .311 boolits all day long with Lyman #2 alloy. With Linotype it jumped to .314+ !! I mount a Lyman Spartan in the Workmake table upside down to size...had to put 80lb.s of weight on the back to keep it from tipping and damaged the press handle trying to shove those (lubed) lino bullets thru a Lee .311 die. This was air-cooled and just reaching room tempreture. Some just locked into the die and had to be beat out. After that, running them thru the 450 to lube (Felix) was just as hard. I only did this for my brother (harder is better Art) and delivered them and swore....never again. They were gaschecked also. Audie....the Oldfart.

w30wcf
09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I was reading through my Lyman's 4th last night trying to identify powders I should try since my favorites aren't to be found around here and read the paragraph they put at the beginning of each caliber. For the 30-30 data it states that for Marlins with micro groove rifling harder alloys like linotype work best. Since I don't have any Lino, can anyone who has tried Lino confirm this for me?

I have not found that to be true at all, especially with .30-30 micro-groove barrels made after 1968 when the depth of the 12 groove rifling increased to .003"/ .004" deep. That is pretty much the same depth as standard ballard rifling and since 12 grooves are 2X the standard 6 groove barrel....it has double the purchase on the bullet!!

Three different .30-30 Marlins measured .308" to .3085" groove diameter and thus .310" cast bullet work just fine. Standard w.w. 311041 bullets can be pushed to 1800 f.p.s. easily with good accuracy in my experience. In Lino - 2,200 f.p.s.
150 gr. Linotype bullets shoot just fine at 2,300-2,400 f.p.s.

w30wcf

shredder
09-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Been there done that. My advice is to ask your rifle what it likes. My favorite boolit in 30-30 is the lee 150 grain FN. I found that my 336 shoots the same loads as my Winchester 94 at 1850fps just fine. So much for the big difference that micro groove makes. I use air cooled wheel weights with 2% tin and have never found them lacking. I use speed green as a lube. I have water dropped as well as using #2 alloy, lino and lots of other combinations but as the results did not justify the additional expense of enriched alloys or the additional time required to work with some of them.
My 336 in .35 Remington also agrees that super hard boolits are really not necessary for micro groove, nor an I limited to under 1600fps. I am sure that the technicians at Lyman had good reason to give that advice, or it would never have been written ad re written so many times. Problem is, I need to prove those things for myself with a rifle. Please ignore the Lyman advice and do check into what your rifle likes at the target board. You may wind up agreeing with them in the end, you never know!

RickinTN
09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
If you'll notice Lyman also says to size bullets for the 30-30 to .308". I think we all know better. If this were the case (sized to .308") I wouldn't doubt linotype metal might work better than softer alloys, but when the bullet is sized properly (at least .001" over groove, and sized to fill the throat of the chamber even better) the softer alloys will work well. I know we all rely on Lyman for reliable information, I do at least, but why they would suggest sizing to .308" is beyond me.
Rick

Pb2au
09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Accuracy with the Lee C309-170-F using air-cooled wheel weight metal has been outstanding in my Microgroove Marlin 30-30.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574963/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c309-170-f-30-caliber-309-diameter-170-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

Take care, Tom

Same here. My micro-groovy Marlin shoots them quite well. As usual, the end game is proper size of the boolit to the rifle. My alloy is wheel weights, air cooled. I have not experimented with lino as I have not found a need to yet.

rexherring
09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I've tried air cooled WW, water dropped WW, and lino. I haven't seen much difference in my 336. Mine drop at .310 and I run them through a .311 die just to seat the gas check and lube.

OverMax
09-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Never shot pure lino thru a rifle. But I have in one of my handguns for target purpose's. Maybe 250-lbs of it over 4 years. Years ago I bought my lino from a closing mom & pop printing shop. One ton scale weight .15 cents a lb. was the going price back then. Today lino is to expensive to waste in such a manor. I will say when casting pure lino. It makes a really nice well defined bullet having sharp edges. What lino I have left is primarily used for blending with other lead alloys & tin to achieve a Lyman #2 recipe.__Which is shot thru my Winchester 32 Sp. & 1894 _32-40.

Bzcraig
09-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys, that was what I suspected but wanted to know for sure one way or the other.