PDA

View Full Version : I need bullet sizing dies

bigarm
09-01-2014, 12:49 AM
I am planning on powder coating my bullets as I have been using powder coated bullets and really like them, so I bought an RCBS partner single stage loader to size the bullets on (and can use it for some other things) and I need a .452 die for 45 acp and a .400 die for 40 s&w (my STI likes .400 sized bullets as do apparently many other STI's). What dies do you suggest and where to buy from? I better buy everything I need before my wife figures out how much this is costing. I told her we would save money casting our own bullets.

starmac
09-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Lee is going to be the cheapest, if not the only game in town.

Kimber bob
09-01-2014, 05:26 PM
yes Lee is the cheapest, but if you plan on sizing powder coated bullets then you really need a RCBS or Lyman, they size by compression, not by shaving like the Lee does

bigarm
09-01-2014, 06:30 PM
yes Lee is the cheapest, but if you plan on sizing powder coated bullets then you really need a RCBS or Lyman, they size by compression, not by shaving like the Lee does
Well, tell me more. I am only finding those sizing dies to use with the lubri matic and I don't want to lube, just run them through the die after powder coating. Am I mistaken how to do this?

Beagle333
09-01-2014, 07:02 PM
If you happen to get a rough Lee sizer , a quick spin of some 800 grit paper in there with your cordless drill or some such, will shine that puppy right up and make it mirror smooth.
I have sized thousands of PC boolits through a Lee and have yet to have any shaved. Even on the ones I have never smoothed up.

bangerjim
09-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Any of the on-line sponsor/vendors are a good source. Lee sizing kits are cheap and you get that horrible little bottle of alox which I throw away! Last one I bought was ~$16.

I have 7 of them and PC goes thru perfectly without lube and without any "spinning" as said above. But you may get a rough one.....I never have.

Get 'em B4 the wife catches on!

banger

williamwaco
09-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Lee dies do not shave. They work exactly like a swaging die.

The bullets will come out slightly smaller and slightly longer.

You will need a micrometer to measure the increase in length but it will happen.

Yes, I have done it. ( measured them. )

I have used Lyman 45, Lyman 450, Lyman 4500, RCBS, and Star sizers in the past.
I have now replaced them all with Lee dies dies for my handgun bullets. ( I still use the 4500 for rifle bullets )

(I am not aware of any modern sizing die that "shaves". The old Lyman dies did shave. You could actually see the shaving edge inside the mouth of your die and if you stuck your finger in there you could pull back a bloody mess.

Unless you already have a lubrisizer, try at least one Lee die before blowing over 150 bucks on a sizing press.

bigarm
09-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Lee dies do not shave. They work exactly like a swaging die.

The bullets will come out slightly smaller and slightly longer.

You will need a micrometer to measure the increase in length but it will happen.

Yes, I have done it. ( measured them. )

I have used Lyman 45, Lyman 450, Lyman 4500, RCBS, and Star sizers in the past.
I have now replaced them all with Lee dies dies for my handgun bullets. ( I still use the 4500 for rifle bullets )

(I am not aware of any modern sizing die that "shaves". The old Lyman dies did shave. You could actually see the shaving edge inside the mouth of your die and if you stuck your finger in there you could pull back a bloody mess.

Unless you already have a lubrisizer, try at least one Lee die before blowing over 150 bucks on a sizing press.
Don't have a lubrisizer and since I want to powder coat, thought I would not need it.

bangerjim
09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't have a lubrisizer and since I want to powder coat, thought I would not need it.

All you need is the Lee dies of the right size.......NO lubra-matic thingy needed AT ALL!!!!!!!!

banger

bigarm
09-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the information. Will powder coating affect the sizing die? In other words, if I want .400 final size, do I order .400 or do I need to order smaller or what? I don't want the final size to end up being .401.

Bullwolf
09-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the information. Will powder coating affect the sizing die? In other words, if I want .400 final size, do I order .400 or do I need to order smaller or what? I don't want the final size to end up being .401.

Size your boolits AFTER power coating. Powder coated boolits will slip right through a Lee sizing die without needing any lube.

PCing will build up the outer diameter of your boolits marginally, but when you size the boolits after power coating, you squeeze them back down to the desired size.

Order the Lee .400 die assuming that's the final size that you are looking for.

- Bullwolf

williamwaco
09-02-2014, 10:44 AM

That was exactly the point. The Lee dies are all you need.

Size AFTER coating.

If on the otherhand you are going to tumble lube, size before lubing.

Garyshome
09-02-2014, 05:55 PM
All I use are Lee dies.

1911KY
09-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I cast with Lee .452 molds and run my PC'd bullets thru the Lee .452 sizing die, works perfectly! Even double coats slide right thru.

bangerjim
09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Nice thing about PC'ing is you can use one mold for different cals!

I have a 9mm NLG that drops ~357. I size after casting to 356, then PC one coat and size to 356 again. Perfect 9's for MY guns.

Same casting...........drop them at 357, DO NOT size, PC one coat, and then size to 358 for my 38 SPL's. Perfect performance!!!!!!

PC is nice, PC is good!

Have fun!

banger

vipervma1
09-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Well I feel kinda dumb but what is powder coating. I have just started casting my own 9mm bullets and they are to loose. I have a .356 102 grain mold and They fit the brass too loosely. Any suggestions for a novice.