PDA

View Full Version : Top punch questions

starmac
08-31-2014, 09:41 PM
All of my lubing so far has been pan lubing, but I finally broke down and bought a 45 and a 450 thanks to 22 cal boolits and gas checks. lol

I got with it most of the dies I currantly need except for the pesky 22's, but no top punches at all.
Pretty everything I cast has at least a small flat point, I will only need a round point for 22 and 30 cal, at least at this time.
I have read Recluses and others methods of making the professors top punches fit various nose profiles, which seems simple enough.

I assume, but don't know, that I will just need a flat point in every cal, except for the two I have a round point mold in, or do I need different ones for different meplats, or will onf flat nose punch work well with different flat poing molds in the same caliber.
I know, probably a stupid question, but I am trying to get off as cheap as I can. lol

08-31-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't know if theperfessor's apprentice is making top punches, or not. If so, I recommend buying one each of .22 and .30 caliber and using either hot melt glue or an epoxy, like JB Weld, to conform to the particular nose profiles. I prefer hot melt glue, because it's easy to remove and make another nose impression (I'm frugal) Be sure to oil the boolit nose so it releases.

starmac
08-31-2014, 11:36 PM
I wish it was that easy, but I need at least 2 each of 22 and 30 cal, hoping to get by with one each of 35,44,45,375 and 458. lol

09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
I use one epoxy filled and filed flat top punch for all .35, .44, and .45 caliber wadcutter and semi-wadcutter designs, and another with a hot melt glue impression of a round nose profile that is used for numerous 7 mm, .30, and .32 calibers. Neither top punch leaves a mark on the ten nose designs they are used for.

starmac
09-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Are you saying the same punch is taking care of everything from 35 to 45 cal.

09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Yep. It's a Lyman 429, that may have been originally designed for their 358429, and possibly others. Anyway, I put it in a vise, filled the cavity with JB Weld, let it cure overnight, then filed the epoxy completely flat. Because it's sized to fit inside a .358" die and is now flat, it works with the larger caliber boolits of similar nose profiles.

The punch used for rifle boolits is one of several that I bought from theperfessor. I used an Ideal 308291 (Lyman 311291) and hot melt glue (because it has a bit of flex and is more forgiving than epoxy) to make the impression, and is round enough that it can be used with the three calibers and five or six different boolit designs.

I have many more punches that are boolit specific, but the above two get the most use. It could be that the two would work with even more boolits, but I've not tried.

starmac
09-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that info. I haven't seen the professor posting much lately, but hopefully he is still on the mend. I will try to get a hold of him, and see if his nephew is making the top punches.

09-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Excellent plan.

theperfessor
09-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Guys, I'm about 4-5 weeks away from getting fitted with prosthetic foot so I can get back out in the shop. First thing on list is resuming top punch production. I have lots of Lyman/RCBS and Saeco blanks available, but my nephew isn't up to running manual lathe yet. Sorry, I'm just as anxious to get going as you guys are. It kills me that I can't get in shop to make stuff.

starmac
09-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Perfessor, not a problem. Take your time healing up.
If you think about it, when you do get up and running, shoot me a pm. I'm sure you have a better idea of what I will need than I do.

Wayne Smith
09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I have taken a 1/4" brass bolt, stuck it in a drill and flattened it and rounded the top with a file. Cut the bolt off and you have a flat nose punch. Make them what ever size you need. All you need are more 1/4" bolts.