PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Disability Turned me Down

DeputyDog25
08-31-2014, 09:20 PM
I have never seen a more corrupt and retarded program as Social Security Disability. I have almost total paralysis in my right leg, I have only partial use of my left hand due to pressure on the nerves in my spine, over 50% of my joints are artificial, I cannot walk without a walker, I don't sleep at night because the pain is unbearable and I literally sit and cry sometimes that I am in so much pain. I take 3 different medications for depression, I have a morphine pump, plus take oral morphine, I cannot stand or sit for any length of time greater than 10 minutes. I would never be able to work in the condition I am in right now but our great Social Security Disability system sent me a letter that I received on Saturday and said that I do not meet the criteria of being disabled and I was turned down...Really??? I would love to know what they do consider to be disabled. Oh well, I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Scott

fishhawk
08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
I have never known a first time applicant get SSDI on the first try. Took me 4 years with 3 of there own doctors saying I was disabled. Don't give up.

bobby65
08-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Sorry to here that and yes it is bad. I hope you keep fighting them

Poygan
08-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Scott,
Keep trying, it almost seems to be standard procedure for them to not approve disability the first time.

nicholst55
08-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Don't give up! Appeal their decision; enlist the aid of either an attorney who specializes in this area or your US senator. It may not be a quick or easy process, but worthwhile things seldom are.

DeputyDog25
08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
I have never known a first time applicant get SSDI on the first try. Took me 4 years with 3 of there own doctors saying I was disabled. Don't give up.

No, I am not giving up, I can't! I don't have any income and I am not employable. I do have an attorney working for me and I hope that they can do something. This is just a sickening feeling that I would have never thought I would have. If my wife didn't have a small retirement income I don't know what we would do. I would appreciate if you all would keep us and this situation in your prayers. I know God can an will make a way, he has been faithful thus far and I know he will continue to be.

Johnch
08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Appeal

I am not as bad off as you
But I have migraines and take high power pain pills as a result

My first time they turned me down
The other day they finaly admitted there were no job I could work at

So I should win the appeal

John

trails4u
08-31-2014, 09:37 PM
My wife worked for a SSI attorney years ago.....unfortunately, what you're going through is completely normal, at least in their eyes. It's a HUGE $$$$$$ machine for the lawyers, and everyone else involved, except of course for you. Stay the course....you'll get there, but not until they all get paid, a lot.

BTW -- The wife quit....she couldn't stomach the racket. :(

tomme boy
08-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Add onto the list you are a alcoholic and you will win it. Keep pushing the depression issues also

Cmm_3940
08-31-2014, 09:47 PM
This is normal, and you should not be discouraged; it is in no way a reflection of the severity of your situation. It took my lawyer months to get my disability benefits approved. I was in no condition to do all the hoop jumping at the time.

shooterg
08-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Not a new thing with the system. Mom's diabetes had rendered her legally blind,she still had to wait to 62 and take regular SS. Collected 3 checks before she died.
But if you're an alcoholic non-prescription drug user, no problem.

country gent
08-31-2014, 09:54 PM
I was almost 5 years getting it thru with an attorney. They will deny it as a standard procedure to the hearing. It was over 4 years when they had thier doctor examine me. What a joke that was. On the plus side ounce awarded it is back to date filed less 8 months so it makes for a big back pay check. LOL Hate to hear of your medical problems and will pray for you.

DeputyDog25
08-31-2014, 09:56 PM
Not a new thing with the system. Mom's diabetes had rendered her legally blind,she still had to wait to 62 and take regular SS. Collected 3 checks before she died.
But if you're an alcoholic non-prescription drug user, no problem.

That is what is so sickening and frustrating is that people who have actually made themselves disabled by drinking or drugs or ? have no problem being approved, but the folks who really need it, who have worked all their life and paid into the system, have to jump through so many hoops and put up with so much ignorance, corruption, and just plain ****.

xs11jack
08-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Do you get your health care from the VA? If so, can the doctors there help with the paperwork and help your lawyer? Does your VFW have any programs that can help? I am putting you on our prayer list. Please keep us updated so we all know how to pray and what to ask the Lord for.
Ole Jack

DougGuy
08-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Man I was all set to hear a bunch of b.s. and have to fight them, but when I got cancer my gf filled out all the forms and submitted it and they approved it first time out without a fight, I was like WHAAAAA???????? You're KIDDING me right? But no they sent a determination and schedule of benefits right off the bat. She put all 4 doctors names and all their information on the forms so I guess they figured they was beat and they admitted it.

I hope you win it soon!

Mr opinionated
08-31-2014, 10:05 PM
i was turned down twice even had doctors say i was disabled i got a lawyer, you need him get all the correct paper work for you that they require,because they will not do it for you are tell you what they need, that seams to be the biggest problem (the paper work ) and no one cares to help you.

you have to be relentless with this don't give up

MR O

MaryB
08-31-2014, 10:09 PM
When I applied I had 13 MRI's as evidence of spinal issues, both rotator cuffs were torn, the right has been fixed twice already. Carpal tunnel, knee issues and they turned me down. Took 3 years to get to a hearing before a judge. The judge looked at the evidence then proceeded to chew out the SS rep for 45 minutes in front of me for denying the claim to begin with and wasting his time. My lawyer limited his fee to $3500 no matter how big my back pay check was.

WILCO
08-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Scott,
Keep trying, it almost seems to be standard procedure for them to not approve disability the first time.

That's what I've been told. If need be, hire an Attorney.

Ithaca Gunner
08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
My wife went through that a few years ago, all sorts of documentation, examinations by their Dr's, and a blunt turn down. Do like she did, get a lawyer and appeal. She won and got money from the date she first filed, of course the lawyer took a chunk of that, but she gets regular deposits from them now, and medicare.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 11:09 PM
Hang in there. I've been told I qualify for disablity but I figure otherwise, I chalk it up to hard mileage. :-) OTOH folks more able-bodied than me are drawing it. Hang in there, you will be in my prayers.

smokeywolf
08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
This is their game. The Fed Gov't really shines at using your tax dollars against you. SOP is to try and beat you down hoping you'll just give up so they never have to give any of your money back to you. After all, if they give your money back to you, where are they gonna get the money to give to criminal aliens who sneak across the border and make babies they have no intention of paying for.

Don't let the slime-ball U.S. Gov't bureaucrats win.

smokeywolf

bubba.50
09-01-2014, 02:39 AM
took a lawyer & nearly a year to get mine. the check for backpay was nice but some lean times til it came through. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

shoot-n-lead
09-01-2014, 03:40 AM
I will add you to my prayer list...for comfort, healing and approval of benefits.

DeputyDog25
09-01-2014, 04:02 AM
A huge thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement, advice, sharing their own personal experience about getting through this mess, but most of all thank you for your prayers, because in the end the prayers are going to make the difference.

Scott

smokeywolf
09-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Two friends had wives who were disabled. One with severe back injury, one with MS who had days when she could hardly get out of bed and was just a breath away from a wheelchair. Both hired lawyers and got their SSDI, but it took 2 years.
Court's usual MO when their doctor concurs with your doctor? Schedule another examination and another court date.

Hickory
09-01-2014, 06:09 AM
You guys don't know how to do it.
First you need to get caught using drugs,
spend some time in the slammer, and when
you get out, apply for SSDI because you can't work or hold a job.

My neighbor, a deputy sheriff, was telling about over a dozen people who make their living scammin' the government this way.

youngmman
09-01-2014, 06:24 AM
The whole system is that way. It took me over a year to receive disability status with the Veterans Admin. because of Agent Orange related issues during the VietNam war.

So hang in there and don't give up.

jonp
09-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Add onto the list you are a alcoholic and you will win it. Keep pushing the depression issues also

Or check the "Mexican" box. All kidding aside keep fighting for this.

mold maker
09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
They allow time for you to die, or get better, before they decide. Saves them money if either happens. Only the determined get a positive decision, and only if they survive the ordeal.
It aint right, but it is, what it is.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-01-2014, 09:51 AM
I would love to know what they do consider to be disabled. Oh well, I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Scott

Based of several examples around me I have concluded the following.

1. It helps if at least one of your handicaps was caused by you taking an illegal substance resulting in an injury.

2. Proof of never doing anything productive with your life.

3. Get pregnant and stay single.

4. Minority group. Don't worry if you are a white male you can always claim you are gay.

Sorry to hear about your pain and situation. Other than a twisted humorous way of viewing SSDI I can only send prayers.

country gent
09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Be honest and straight forward with them, List all issues, remember that drugs side effects also count. ( Ie pain killers rule out driving opertaing machenery on the labels.). Fill out paperwork promptly when it comes and very thoughroly remember they cant put 2 +2 togehter to get 4 they have to have every detail issue spelled out for them. When your hearing comes be precise and accurate answering questions. ( They SS doctor climed I smelled of cannibis when he examined me in his report. The judge brought this up giving me a chance to disputed it). My hearing went 45 mins or so HAd ss rep and a job rep both present. Job rep stated I could do gaging and quality control work I answered with those jobs normally take 25-30 years senority to get. And with numbness I wouldnt be accurate. They try to say do anything to find a denial. Also remember after 50 years old ( I think) you arnt required to retrain for a diffrent carreer. Get a good attorney and listen to what they tell you.

Char-Gar
09-01-2014, 10:24 AM
When I was practicing law, back in the day, I handled several SS disability claims and won every one of them. It is routine for them turn down a claim on first submission. A lawyer knows what documents to submit to back up your claim and most folks don't. All attorney fees must be approved by the SS administration so, you won't get gouged. Like others said, when proved you get it from the date of first application.

This is just the way these things work.

DeputyDog25
09-01-2014, 11:02 AM
I really do appreciate all the posts here and I am learning quite a bit by reading them. I do have a good attorney, or at least from what I know and have heard about him, as his reputation precedes him. Sal Pal also gave me the name of a group to contact to help me out. I know they must not have any common sense whatsoever, because a couple of weeks ago they sent me a denial letter for something and claimed I was turned down due to the fact that I make too much money...??? I don't make any money, I have no job. What in the world? Where do they get their information, it is just unbelievable to me how this whole system works.

rondog
09-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I know a guy who's "disabled" from alcohol/drugs and has been getting fed off a government teat for years. Yet he seems to have no problems working under-the-table jobs for cash, has mad skills playing guitar, and he and his wife live pretty damn well. My wife and I have been raising our grandson all his life. He's also THEIR grandson and they've never had anything to do with him.

fishhawk
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
"because a couple of weeks ago they sent me a denial letter for something and claimed I was turned down due to the fact that I make too much money...???".......... Possible your not the only one using the social security number? One of the first things with identity theft.

Rick Hodges
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Yep, my brother went in with his back broken...morphine pump...was told he would be denied 10 times unless he had an attorney. He just kept applying and getting turned down...until the 10th time. It is a racket to discourage people from applying...and he was paid for the date of the first application. They seem think this is a harmless procedure since you get all your money in the end.....not ever recognizing that fact that you just might need the money to avoid losing your home and car and your mind.

These are the very same mindless jerks who want to control all health care....and used to point out the VA as a shining example of their abilities.

Hang in there...

Eliduc
09-01-2014, 11:48 AM
The SSA is a rogue agency. It denies more than 85 % of initial disability applications. I was one of the other 15 %. I filed my own application. Before I filed I got my ducks in a row. I went to my physician and complained about every ache and pain so that it was documented. The SSA attempted to send me to their "denial" doctor for an independent evaluation. THe same doctor had previously refused to see my 16 year old daughter when she had a serious illness when I was on a trip. I had filed a complaint against her with our medical board. I claimed conflict of interest with the SSA and was sent to a physician who was fair. Upon my disability being approved our local SSA representative misrepresented that I would receive more on early retirement than disability and tried to high pressure me into accepting early retirement. I refused. Then the SSA claimed the start date of my disability began five months after the accident and that I was in worse shape then than I was when I was in the hospital for a month. I appealed and won. Before I received my first check the SSA claimed an overpayment. I received another two months later. Over an 18 month period I received five or six bogus notices of overpayment. When I appealed the SSA violated my due process rights by failing to respond to Requests for Reconsideration, the first appeal stage. An administrative judge will not hear a case until it has been through the Reconsideration stage. A Federal District Court Judge will not hear a case until it has been heard by an administrative law judge. My son was a minor beneficiary on my account. Although he was a continuing student eligible for continuing benefits until his graduation from high school in June of 2005 his benefit was cancelled in October of 2004. My federal representative assisted in having it restored and I received two letter stating he would be paid all back and current benefits through June of 2005. He never received another payment after October of 2004. In April of 2009 I received a Notice of Overpayment that the SSA had over-payed my son $984 in 2005 (when he had not received a penny of what was owed to him) and that they were taking it lump sum from my benefit. I filed a Request for Reconsideration which is still pending five years later because the SSA never responded to it. I also filed a Notice of Underpayment on his account in the amount of $2000 that is owed to my son for the unpaid benefits. The SSA did not respond to that either. My son was in the United State Marines and served in Afghanistan. A month after his discharge in 2011 he received a Notice Of Overpayment from the SSA in the amount of $984 paid in 2005 (not) and that they were taking it from his Military income tax refund. We filed a Request for Reconsideration and a Notice of Underpayment of $2000. The SSA failed to respond to either. When confronted about the underpayment they claimed they had proof the benefits had been paid but could not or refused to provide canceled checks claiming they only kept them for 7 years. When I had sent the first notice of underpayment it was less than seven years. The SSA could not collect their claimed overpayment because they are barred by congress from collecting an overpayment that is less than $1000. They will not tell you this. You have to file a waiver and state it after they send a Notice of overpayment for the amount you do not owe. There is too much more to list. This is the agency you are dealing with. I would seek the services of a good disability attorney and not one that advertises on television. Don't expect any sympathy from your elected representatives.

Char-Gar
09-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I really do appreciate all the posts here and I am learning quite a bit by reading them. I do have a good attorney, or at least from what I know and have heard about him, as his reputation precedes him. Sal Pal also gave me the name of a group to contact to help me out. I know they must not have any common sense whatsoever, because a couple of weeks ago they sent me a denial letter for something and claimed I was turned down due to the fact that I make too much money...??? I don't make any money, I have no job. What in the world? Where do they get their information, it is just unbelievable to me how this whole system works.

Remember that SS Administration does cross check your application with the IRS. It doesn't matter if you have a job or not, it is the amount of income from whatever source that counts.

There are people with a good income that are disabled from working. Many of them try and get disability as well.

Eliduc
09-01-2014, 11:58 AM
The SSA is a rogue agency. It denies more than 85 % of initial disability applications. I was one of the other 15 %. I filed my own application. Before I filed I got my ducks in a row. I went to my physician and complained about every ache and pain so that it was documented. The SSA attempted to send me to their "denial" doctor for an independent evaluation. THe same doctor had previously refused to see my 16 year old daughter when she had a serious illness when I was on a trip. I had filed a complaint against her with our medical board. I claimed conflict of interest with the SSA and was sent to a physician who was fair. Upon my disability being approved our local SSA representative misrepresented that I would receive more on early retirement than disability and tried to high pressure me into accepting early retirement. I refused. Then the SSA claimed the start date of my disability began five months after the accident and that I was in worse shape then than I was when I was in the hospital for a month. I appealed and won. Before I received my first check the SSA claimed an overpayment. I received another two months later. Over an 18 month period I received five or six bogus notices of overpayment. When I appealed the SSA violated my due process rights by failing to respond to Requests for Reconsideration, the first appeal stage. An administrative judge will not hear a case until it has been through the Reconsideration stage. A Federal District Court Judge will not hear a case until it has been heard by an administrative law judge. My son was a minor beneficiary on my account. Although he was a continuing student eligible for continuing benefits until his graduation from high school in June of 2005 his benefit was cancelled in October of 2004. My federal representative assisted in having it restored and I received two letter stating he would be paid all back and current benefits through June of 2005. He never received another payment after October of 2004. In April of 2009 I received a Notice of Overpayment that the SSA had over-payed my son $984 in 2005 (when he had not received a penny of what was owed to him) and that they were taking it lump sum from my benefit. I filed a Request for Reconsideration which is still pending five years later because the SSA never responded to it. I also filed a Notice of Underpayment on his account in the amount of $2000 that is owed to my son for the unpaid benefits. The SSA did not respond to that either. My son was in the United State Marines and served in Afghanistan. A month after his discharge in 2011 he received a Notice Of Overpayment from the SSA in the amount of $984 paid in 2005 (not) and that they were taking it from his Military income tax refund. We filed a Request for Reconsideration and a Notice of Underpayment of $2000. The SSA failed to respond to either. When confronted about the underpayment they claimed they had proof the benefits had been paid but could not or refused to provide canceled checks claiming they only kept them for 7 years. When I had sent the first notice of underpayment it was less than seven years. The SSA could not collected their claimed overpayment because they are barred by congress from collecting an overpayment that is less than $1000. They will not tell you this. You have to file a waiver and state it. There is too much more to list. This is the agency you are dealing with. I would seek the services of a good disability attorney and not one that advertises on television. Don't expect any sympathy from your elected representatives.

sparky45
09-01-2014, 12:03 PM
I STRONGLY urge you to contact your Senator/Congressman they WILL get something going, after all this is an election year. Worked for my Mother and it can't hurt at all.

Sparky

No, I am not giving up, I can't! I don't have any income and I am not employable. I do have an attorney working for me and I hope that they can do something. This is just a sickening feeling that I would have never thought I would have. If my wife didn't have a small retirement income I don't know what we would do. I would appreciate if you all would keep us and this situation in your prayers. I know God can an will make a way, he has been faithful thus far and I know he will continue to be.

flyingmonkey35
09-01-2014, 12:31 PM
As A middle aged white american male.

In moderate health this scares the **** out of me.

You should not have to hire a lawyer to get this.

Where is there neraset office. Go in every day and sit in your wheel chair with everything hooked up and wait for a appointment.

Make em look you in the eye when the deny you. Video tape all convesttions with every one.

Watch them refuse to do there job and call security on you.

[emoji205] god bless

DHurtig
09-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I must be one of the rare cases because I was approved the first time. I was just notified that I was approved last month. I'm 59, have congestive heart failure, am on my second bout with prostate cancer and unemployed. 6 1/2 years ago I had a massive heart attack which led to 7 by passes and a heart that works at 40% efficiency which is about 2/3s of normal. This leads to shortness of breath and fatigue. The down side is that my approval notification stated that once approved, that there is a 5 month waiting period before benefits begin.

It's too bad that a lawyer is involved already. I hate to see those bottom feeders get their cut unless there is no other way. There are non profit groups and other government agencies that will assist with the appeal process. It is also good to contact your senators and representatives, they respond quickly and normally are very good about helping. It makes them look good and feel good. It is also fun to turn the beast upon itself.

daniel lawecki
09-01-2014, 12:38 PM
There are lawyers that work only in this field that can help. If you can afford one get one.

DeputyDog25
09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
I cannot afford an attorney that requires any payment up front. I have no income, 0, Zero. I hired the attorney I have now and they will take their fee out of the back pay check if they get me approved. I am going to contact my state representative as some of you have recommended, it can't hurt. I just have to try and figure out what I should tell them, what I mean is, should I ask my attorney to draft up a letter to send to the representative, or should I just call and try to set up some type of appointment to see or talk to them. Does anyone have any experience with how to actually get an appointment to talk with a representative or senator. I have only tried one time and that was after I had applied for VA disability and was told that my priority rating was such that I didn't even qualify to be seen by a VA doctor. I think the VA is ran by the same folks who run Social Security. I am a disabled vet, served in combat, decorated and I can't get seen by a VA doctor? Really? Boy do we know how to take care of our veterans or not. Well when I tried to set up an appointment to see my state senator I was told to request this in writing, and then followed up by a phone call 6 weeks later to make sure the request was processed. Well to make a long story short, 6 weeks went by and I tried calling and talking to the correct individual to verify receipt of the letter requesting a meeting, not one person had a clue what I was talking about and said that no letter was ever received. I then resent the letter registered mail return receipt requested. Lo and behold that letter was returned to me because I found out that you can't send registered mail with return receipt to a government office without prior approval and an individuals name to specifically send the letter to. Well, I gave up. Period.

Wise Owl
09-01-2014, 01:38 PM
DD, I filed for SSD 2 years ago this past month. This is my second time around doing this. First time was back in 1998 when I figured out that my car accident in 96 had messed my neck/shoulders and hands up so bad I wouldn't/couldn't be a hairdresser anymore. I got denied that first time around at the Administrative judge level. Lawyer at that time told me to give up. Stupid me, I did give up.

I tried going back to work doing something other than hair styling and have paid for it ever since. Sam and I moved up here to Maine in 99 and I went to work in a furniture mill and put wooden furniture together. That really finished messing my shoulders and hands up, plus made the creeping heriditary arthritis in my knees kick in.
Luckily the mill was getting ready to close up so they laid me off. I drew unemployment for awhile and then got nothing as I couldn't find any work that didn't require hands/shoulders or knees to be able to do a job.

I reapplied in 2012 for disability. I got a lawyer this time around that does this for a living. I have been denied 4 times so far. Got past the administrative judge and am waiting on the Appeal process. It's been a year waiting on that. If I get denied again, we go to the Fed judge.
In the meantime I am on regular SS but even that isn't much. Plus in April I get a letter telling me they had over estimated my earnings and money due so I owe them $521 and that they were going to cut my payments $30 a month. I filed for a redetermination on that and have been told it will be at least a year till they redo their figures. They say they calculated my earnings from 1986 thru 88 wrong. Now, how does this happen? It's been almost 30 years and those numbers aren't going to change. I have a copy of my earnings FROM THEM for my whole working life.

I think they hope I will die or something and then they won't have to pay anything. In the meantime, my knees, shoulders/neck (broken bone in there) hands,(had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands) and arthritis in all of those places now need attention from a good ortho doc but I have no insurance to pay for it. I need Medicare. I will be 64 next month so it will be another year before I can legally file at 65.

I feel your pain. I truly do. I am also going to be making a couple phone calls to Senator/representative this week. Maybe they can get something done to help. I also get upset when I see people on Disabitility who really shouldn't get it but because they are druggies or alkies or whatever they can get it.

Good luck to you. Don't stop trying whatever you do. If you do, THEY win. Do not let them win.

DeputyDog25
09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
DD, I filed for SSD 2 years ago this past month. This is my second time around doing this. First time was back in 1998 when I figured out that my car accident in 96 had messed my neck/shoulders and hands up so bad I wouldn't/couldn't be a hairdresser anymore. I got denied that first time around at the Administrative judge level. Lawyer at that time told me to give up. Stupid me, I did give up.

I tried going back to work doing something other than hair styling and have paid for it ever since. Sam and I moved up here to Maine in 99 and I went to work in a furniture mill and put wooden furniture together. That really finished messing my shoulders and hands up, plus made the creeping heriditary arthritis in my knees kick in.
Luckily the mill was getting ready to close up so they laid me off. I drew unemployment for awhile and then got nothing as I couldn't find any work that didn't require hands/shoulders or knees to be able to do a job.

I reapplied in 2012 for disability. I got a lawyer this time around that does this for a living. I have been denied 4 times so far. Got past the administrative judge and am waiting on the Appeal process. It's been a year waiting on that. If I get denied again, we go to the Fed judge.
In the meantime I am on regular SS but even that isn't much. Plus in April I get a letter telling me they had over estimated my earnings and money due so I owe them $521 and that they were going to cut my payments $30 a month. I filed for a redetermination on that and have been told it will be at least a year till they redo their figures. They say they calculated my earnings from 1986 thru 88 wrong. Now, how does this happen? It's been almost 30 years and those numbers aren't going to change. I have a copy of my earnings FROM THEM for my whole working life.

I think they hope I will die or something and then they won't have to pay anything. In the meantime, my knees, shoulders/neck (broken bone in there) hands,(had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands) and arthritis in all of those places now need attention from a good ortho doc but I have no insurance to pay for it. I need Medicare. I will be 64 next month so it will be another year before I can legally file at 65.

I feel your pain. I truly do. I am also going to be making a couple phone calls to Senator/representative this week. Maybe they can get something done to help. I also get upset when I see people on Disabitility who really shouldn't get it but because they are druggies or alkies or whatever they can get it.

Good luck to you. Don't stop trying whatever you do. If you do, THEY win. Do not let them win.

Wiseowl, thank you for that, I will be praying for you, your family and your situation. I pray that the Lord will have his hand on you and those who make the decisions and that it is a positive outcome according to his will. I won't ever give up, I can't. I am so close to being destitute, but the Lord always provides. You great folks right here have been a blessing to Pat and I. You all have helped us out like family and it is appreciated more than you can ever know. All the folks here stay in our prayers. I can never thank all the people here on Cast Boolits enough for what they have done, not only financially, but just a word of encouragement when I need it, and a laugh when I can use it. I love you all just like you are family and I appreciate all of you and feel blessed to be associated with you. I don't have anything, but what I have I am willing to share. If any of you ever need anything, even just an ear to bend, please don't hesitate to contact me, if I can help I surely will.

Sincerely,
Scott

Newtire
09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
This is the job of these types of people who handle this sort of thing with the government involved. They are the "Gatekeepers". Their first prioity is to deny everyone the first time. Get an attorney or write your congressman. I wrote my congressman when the VA turned me down the first time for my medical benefits. Should see how things change when they get a congressional inquiry thrown at them. Will also tell you if your congressman is worth voting for.

buckwheatpaul
09-01-2014, 03:27 PM
You might want to consider hiring a SSI attorney....you will forfeit some of your money to them...but they seem to be able to speed up the process.....I am truly sorry that you are suffering.....I wish I could help ..... Prayer for you and your family.

lefty o
09-01-2014, 03:37 PM
im just getting started with all this, and am very thankful my companies disability plan included a compay to help my file for SSDI, as this stuff can definately be daunting. if you need it, and deserve, regroup and attack again. i can see this is much like dealing with the VA's disability rating peole, keep attacking and you'll eventually find the right crack to get in.

country gent
09-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Thier Job is gatekeepers? Over the 4 years of my filing I filled out the same paper work 4-5 times my doctors and attorney did the same. Its A goverment orginization /buerocurcy that is making work to keep everyone employed. If they honestly evaluated and did what they should ( approving most 1 st time thru) and doing the actual job they would have half as many employees. Come on making people that are obviously disabled wait thru 3-5 or more appeals then paying them back to filing date isnt saving anything its just putting people thru more bad times. Yes I have a bitter attitude, I was told in 2000 I had enough to go on disability but worked till 2010 filing that fall. It was spring of 2014 when I finally got an appeals and went before a actual judge. Was 2014 before I was even seen by an SS doctor. Thier Doctor was a complete joke, never asked about my issues complications with MS. an eye test, A short walk in stocking feet ( asking some one with balance mobility issues to walk with out support in stocking feet is also a joke). After sitting in the hearng for the 45 mins being questioned. at dismissal I stood up planning to take a couple mins for legs to "normalize" Attorney hurried me and I dang near fell in the court room. When I went to local office to apply thier gaurd was somewhat helpfull but didnt like my cane, said it was to heavy. The office I went to was at the very back of the building to basically give my address so paperwork could be mailed for me to fill out. Gate keepers come on they are stalling protecting thier jobs

aap2
09-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi Scott: don't give up on the SSDI; the system seems to be set up to just deny most first-time claims and hope that the person gives up..I'm glad to hear that you aren't giving up. Hang in there and you will win. I had a similar situation to yours with the VA; no matter how hard I tried to personally file my claim for medical benefits/disability I got nowhere. Then someone told me to contact the local DAV and they got me a DAV rep who filed the claim and I got the service-connected medical benefits and a 10% disability rating in less than 6 months. Having the DAV rep file the claim made all the difference; you might try this since it costs nothing. You were in combat and obviously have service-connected disabilities (which is anything that happened while you were on active duty AND and medical condition that occured withing a year after discharge); you deserve the benefits. VA medical care is super once you get a service-connected rating. Good luck with the SSDI and I hope that you consider lettting a DAV rep file your VA case. Will say a prayer for you and thank you for your service.

DeputyDog25
09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi Scott: don't give up on the SSDI; the system seems to be set up to just deny most first-time claims and hope that the person gives up..I'm glad to hear that you aren't giving up. Hang in there and you will win. I had a similar situation to yours with the VA; no matter how hard I tried to personally file my claim for medical benefits/disability I got nowhere. Then someone told me to contact the local DAV and they got me a DAV rep who filed the claim and I got the service-connected medical benefits and a 10% disability rating in less than 6 months. Having the DAV rep file the claim made all the difference; you might try this since it costs nothing. You were in combat and obviously have service-connected disabilities (which is anything that happened while you were on active duty AND and medical condition that occured withing a year after discharge); you deserve the benefits. VA medical care is super once you get a service-connected rating. Good luck with the SSDI and I hope that you consider lettting a DAV rep file your VA case. Will say a prayer for you and thank you for your service.

I have a very good DAV Rep who is also an attorney and a disabled veteran himself, I am very blessed to have him working on my case. I just can't believe the wait time involved for both VA and SSDI. The system is setup for failure.

Wayne Smith
09-01-2014, 06:59 PM
In my experience with clients SSDI applications are easy if the cause is simple and obvious. The more interaction between multiple causes exist the less likely the application will be approved and it will need to be appealed through the system. I tell clients to automatically appeal the first two times, instructions are included with the rejection letter. After that you go to a hearing and you need a lawyer. I have yet to have a bipolar or schizophrenic client be rejected the first time. If there is a drug addiction that is not iatrogenic (doctor caused) you will be rejected.

VA medicine is highly variable. My brother is 100% unemployable VA disabled. His last episode his VA MD almost killed him by misdiagnosing his Pancreatitis for almost two years. He is currently unhappy with his MD because she doesn't listen to him. The MD that almost killed him is still working in the VA system but not where he is! Yet it was a VA neurologist that got him his 100%. A very excellent doctor.

Doc Highwall
09-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I applied for SS disability last November and was accepted the first time. I think the eight operations following a workman's comp injury is what helped along with my job of 39+ years going over seas making it unlikely that I was going to be hired by anyone.

wv109323
09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
E-mail sent

MaryB
09-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Did you apply for SSI or SSDI? SSI is income based and that could be why they rejected your claim

MaryB
09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
The whole system needs to be flushed. Go through and sort out the "i don't care suffer" workers and fire them. Put the rest on notice that we are their bosses and will be auditing them yearly for proper performance and attitude.

We need a civilian group formed to do the above and get congress to pass it. Volunteers can go in and spend a week with a SSA worker undercover as a new employee learning what to do. Then again flushing the whole government might be simpler and start over.

I had 13 MRI's of my back, shoulders, knee, wrists showing severe damage. Submitted the doctors reports of all 13 as evidence 4 times. It was never added to my file as such until my lawyer threatened to take action against SSA. The system should not be this difficult or convoluted, it is a simple matter of file evidence, have their people review it at the proper level, not some flunky who knows zip about medical issues, then approve it or further it to more evidence needed hearing before a judge.

smokeywolf
09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
The politicians don't want people with legitimate disabilities reducing their favorite fund from which to steal for their pork barrel projects.

DeputyDog25
09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Did you apply for SSI or SSDI? SSI is income based and that could be why they rejected your claim

My attorney was the one who filed all the paperwork and I believe he applied for both, and I now have been turned down by both, read my earlier post. They denied me due to me making too much money, but I don't make any money, I have no income at all. How funny I make too much money.

Plate plinker
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
The cr does not decide the claim remember that they are just workers. That said some really suck and are incompetent, if you are having issues ask for the manager who oversees the office (they are not union like the reps) therefore they suffer the consequences of failure a little bit easier. Much of what people who file have problems with is the luck of the draw. How is this one might ask? It's done alphabetically a-g goes to mrs smith h-m to mrs Johnson and so on. If you are in the right alpha you get the better rep. Which is unfortunately how this works. (I know this as fact)

on another note the problem with SSDI is the fraudulent claims like ADHD and so on and by the way don't commit fraud to get approved or you may have to pay the taxpayers back at a later date it does happen. ( I know that as fact also)

finally ly be nice curtious and available it helps.

blackthorn
09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
In the early 1980’s we had a significant recession goingon. Unemployment was rampant and manypeople faced significant problems, caused if not directly, then indirectly bythe loss of work. In some cases, thatloss was temporary but many people lost their employment permanently due toplant closures or permanent down-sizing. At that time I was the Union vice-chair at the plywood plant, Chairmanof the local Union Health and Safety Committee and an elected officer of mylocal Union. In October the plant whereI worked went from keeping everyone partially employed on a two week on, twoweek off schedule to about a sixty percent total lay-off. I was offered the opportunity to set-up anoffice (desk and phone in the local labor council’s space) and given the simplemandate of “go and help unemployed people”!! The pay was just slightly better than I could get on EmploymentInsurance. While the office was set upunder the auspices of the BC Federation of Labor, we served anybody, unionizedor not. Any service rendered was done atno charge. The above is just “background” for my comments on the OPin this thread. I learned very quicklythat beaurocrats of any/all stripe REALLY do not want public attention drawn totheir slimy ways! I learned to pickettheir offices, and if that was not successful, to get the media involved. In reading the OP and the many stories ofshameful treatment by agents of your system, it occurred to me that, eithersingularly, or by forming a group (there is power in numbers) you might justget one of the TV hosts that do “human interest” shows (Lisa Lang or AndersonCooper etc.) interested enough to do some kind of exposé. I found that often just the threat of visiblepublic action worked.

doc1876
09-02-2014, 08:01 PM
most all of water said here is true hang in there. be cautious of the depression alcoholism statement however, some states will take your guns for that.

wyrmzr
09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I know one person who's quadraplegic, has been since he was 10. He still was turned down on his first attempt to get SSD.
One other I know was nearly killed a few months ago, but his sister filled out the paperwork, and he was approved almost immediately. The difference? His sister works for the SSA, and knew exactly what paperwork to fill out, as well as HOW to fill it out.
Strangely, if you're truly disabled, they aren't going to help you with that paperwork when you walk into their offices.

DeputyDog25
09-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, I have actually started drafting a letter to my state representative who I have voted for in the last 2 elections. I am hoping that she will take the time to actually read the letter and get involved. I am not asking for any special treatment, I just think that someone who is close to the point of being destitute should take a little priority over those that are collecting unemployment or might already be drawing some form of pubic aid. I have never mentioned this, but it just came to mind, I was actually turned down for FOOD STAMPS because I MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY. I know I have said this before, and all the pubic agencies are aware of it. I don't have a job, I don't have income, no income from any source, period! How do I make too much money to qualify for food stamps? I am just totally amazed that we have allowed the system to get to the point that it is at. I am almost tempted to take Blackthorn's advice and get the news medial involved, but I wouldn't know where to start there either. I am just an old, working man who never thought he would be in this position.

MaryB
09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
How long ago did you last work? They look back a certain amount of time to determine income, they also look at savings for food stamps and SSI

DeputyDog25
09-02-2014, 09:30 PM
How long ago did you last work? They look back a certain amount of time to determine income, they also look at savings for food stamps and SSI

It has been over a year since I worked and I have no savings, no vehicle, no assets, I own some clothes, a handgun, a rifle, a laptop, and some books. I own no property, no 401k, no bonds, no financial assets of any kind.

walkswithsticks
09-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes, it is all in the presentation. My wife worked for SS for years. We got all the correct documentation together, and I was approved in 30 days.

MaryB
09-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Once you get a disability determination then food stamps will be easy. Right now they expect you to work 20 hours a week(at least in MN, varies by state). SSI they should not have turned you down over making to much so that is something your lawyer needs to raise cain over.

It has been over a year since I worked and I have no savings, no vehicle, no assets, I own some clothes, a handgun, a rifle, a laptop, and some books. I own no property, no 401k, no bonds, no financial assets of any kind.

DeputyDog25
09-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Once you get a disability determination then food stamps will be easy. Right now they expect you to work 20 hours a week(at least in MN, varies by state). SSI they should not have turned you down over making to much so that is something your lawyer needs to raise cain over.

I hope they don't expect me to work 20 hours, I can't stand or sit for longer than about 10 minutes and can't walk without the use of a walker. My right foot is completely numb, so I don't even drive because I can't feel the gas pedal or brake pedal. Nah, I'm not disabled.

MaryB
09-03-2014, 03:24 AM
I had torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders and blown discs from l1to s1 that make it hard for me to sit too, I am always up and down, pace the house, and I fight foot numbness but not quite as bad as you. Not much I could do for work anymore, repairing electronics requires lifting and sitting at a test bench for hours a day. Tech support meant sitting and answering phone 8 hours a day, SSA rep even suggested filing papers, messed up shoulders and a no repetitive motion order from my docs killed that.

Don't give up, took me 3 tries and a hearing before a judge then the back pay rolled in. A lot went to pay off medical bills that weren't covered by my former employer(native american casino, sovereign territory, impossible to sue and win a work comp claim against tribal judges and tribal jury) but I had enough left to buy a decent car to get around in. I was very close to filing bankruptcy before it finally happened though.

Lloyd Smale
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
I got approved the first time without hiring a lawyer but i had 5 back operations in the previous 2 years and still have as spinal stimulator to block pain implanted in my back, funny thing is my buddy had a broken neck and more spine damage then me and didnt get approved the first time. For the most part unless you hire a lawyer to represent you your probably going to get turned down the first time. Keep in mind though that if you get approved on your second try you will get back pay back to your first application date or one years worth whichever is the lesser. theres a book in print somewhere that was given to me (I had to return it and the person no longer lives here) that gives you a step by step walk through to what to say and how to answer there questions to get approved. Maybe a web search would find it for you.

MrWolf
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
I would refile for food stamps based upon what you stated. Please pm me if you get denied and the reason. Sorry not in Florida but I do work at a Welfare Agency and can at least let you know what they tell you is true. Food Stamps are a Federal program so the basic requirements are the same nationwide. Some states do put restrictions on other programs associated with assistance. Let me know if I can help.

Ron

DeputyDog25
09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I would refile for food stamps based upon what you stated. Please pm me if you get denied and the reason. Sorry not in Florida but I do work at a Welfare Agency and can at least let you know what they tell you is true. Food Stamps are a Federal program so the basic requirements are the same nationwide. Some states do put restrictions on other programs associated with assistance. Let me know if I can help.

Ron

Thank you very much Ron, I greatly appreciate that. I was advised to reapply again for food stamps, although nothing has changed in my situation. I wasn't making any money when I applied the first time but they somehow got the impression that I was and denied me. I am going to reapply tomorrow online, but if nothing has changed I don't see how they are going to approve me now. Thanks again Ron for your offer to help, I just might take you up on that if they tell me no again. I have got to get someone to say yes pretty soon about some type of assistance, things are going to start getting really sticky around here with us trying to pay everything on my wife's retirement. If you can think of any other public assistance that might can help please let me know.

Scott

1_Ogre
09-04-2014, 09:59 AM
It took me also 4 times and they finally gave me SSI-Disability. Some great thing they did, but once you hit 65 it goes away anyhow. I was hit by a car doing 40mph on a US Naval Station that took out both of my knees leaving me with one artificial. SSI-Diabity STILL said I wasn't elegible for Disability because I could SIT at a TABLE and do work, guess I'm the wrong ethnic faction, American Indian.

tygar
09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I have never seen a more corrupt and retarded program as Social Security Disability. I have almost total paralysis in my right leg, I have only partial use of my left hand due to pressure on the nerves in my spine, over 50% of my joints are artificial, I cannot walk without a walker, I don't sleep at night because the pain is unbearable and I literally sit and cry sometimes that I am in so much pain. I take 3 different medications for depression, I have a morphine pump, plus take oral morphine, I cannot stand or sit for any length of time greater than 10 minutes. I would never be able to work in the condition I am in right now but our great Social Security Disability system sent me a letter that I received on Saturday and said that I do not meet the criteria of being disabled and I was turned down...Really??? I would love to know what they do consider to be disabled. Oh well, I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Scott

I just saw this so just responding.

As Fishhawk said these sobs never approve on the first try.

When I retired I came out with 90% & the VA upped it to 100%. Won't go into it all but orthopaedically I am a mess.

They denied me & I couldn't get any info about it except they said appeal. So I did & was denied.

We moved to VA & I got a lawyer. We had to go before a Judge. My att gave him papers, he looked at it, my att said something & the SSA rep objected, the Judge said stop, asked how they could possibly object to approving my app since there was more documentation than he had ever seen.

In & out in 20 min tops. Had to give att 25% (I think) but still put around 40k in my pocket in retroactive benefits.

So, take your stuff to a lawyer that specializes in SSA (not Bender& Bender) & is recommended by others.

Good luck. I know a lot of people scam the system but a lot of people get hosed in the process.

tygar
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I got approved the first time without hiring a lawyer but i had 5 back operations in the previous 2 years and still have as spinal stimulator to block pain implanted in my back, funny thing is my buddy had a broken neck and more spine damage then me and didnt get approved the first time. For the most part unless you hire a lawyer to represent you your probably going to get turned down the first time. Keep in mind though that if you get approved on your second try you will get back pay back to your first application date or one years worth whichever is the lesser. theres a book in print somewhere that was given to me (I had to return it and the person no longer lives here) that gives you a step by step walk through to what to say and how to answer there questions to get approved. Maybe a web search would find it for you.

I was awarded a number of years retroactive. As I said to the tune of 40K. I think it was a good 5 yrs.

Wayne Smith
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
When you are approved you are paid from the date of application, not approval.

DeputyDog25
09-04-2014, 09:49 PM
When you are approved you are paid from the date of application, not approval.

Is that the date of the first application? I only ask because I had to completely fill out a new application and reapply the first time I was denied.

MaryB
09-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Should go back to the first, but your lawyer needs to know this pronto

plmitch
09-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Good luck with the process. Guess I just got lucky. I applies on August 12th and was approved on the 27th. Just going through the waiting time now. The worker told me most people get it the first try.

Lloyd Smale
09-05-2014, 07:53 AM
one last bit of advice. Keep EVERY piece of documentation, both proff of disability and any papers the ss office sends you. Id had a file of doctors papers about 4 inches thick and i copied everyone of them and sent them along with my application

DeputyDog25
09-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I actually sat down today and wrote a five page letter to both of my state senators, the state representative for my district and the governor. I put in detail everything that I have been through, all of my medications, my conditions, the fact that I have no income at all and asked that they do something to help me out. I asked in the letter for them to contact Social Security and have my claim expedited. This may not work at all but it is worth a try, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If this doesn't work, then I may take another poster's advice and contact the local news channel and see if they want to do a personal interest story in regards to my situation. I am getting desperate, so anything I can do or try I will. My wife's retirement check is not covering everything and I am out of items to sell, except for the rifle and my service pistol. My wife cleaned out the shed a couple of days ago and we have either sold or put up for sale anything we had of value in the shed. The only utility besides electric that we have kept is the landline phone, as I need this to communicate with the doctors. All of this I put in the letter to the big shots. They may not ever look at the letter but like I said, I have to try anything I can at this point. I never in all my life imagined that I would be in a position like this. I hope none of you ever have to go through this, it is a scary feeling.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2014, 08:09 AM
its sad that they make it hard for someone like you and some people get it for nothing. We have 3 big prissons around here and i know of at least a dozen prison guards who quit and get ss for anxiety caused by that job. Give me a break. I think they know going in that the prisoners are going to be there next best friend. I was a lineman. If i found that i was afraid of heights I would have been canned and had to look for a new job. they would have laughed at me at the ss office. About all they need is one head shinker to say they have a problem and they get right in. Someone like you that has phyiscal problems is made to suffer even more.

DeputyDog25
09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
its sad that they make it hard for someone like you and some people get it for nothing. We have 3 big prissons around here and i know of at least a dozen prison guards who quit and get ss for anxiety caused by that job. Give me a break. I think they know going in that the prisoners are going to be there next best friend. I was a lineman. If i found that i was afraid of heights I would have been canned and had to look for a new job. they would have laughed at me at the ss office. About all they need is one head shinker to say they have a problem and they get right in. Someone like you that has phyiscal problems is made to suffer even more.

Well, I can't wait to see if I get any type of response whatsoever to the letters I sent out. I was reading somewhere online that a lady had written a letter to her congressman for the same purpose and she got a response back from every one of the folks that she sent it to. She said that her state senator made a few phone calls and with a matter of a couple of weeks she had her approval letter. She had also included in the letter that even if she was approved that she had the 5 month waiting period to deal with and asked if there was any way she could get some help during that waiting period, well long story short, she ended up with a welfare check, food stamps, and medical care that carried her through her waiting period. Really? If it is that simple, then why do so many needy people have to go through what the system puts you through? I didn't want this, I would have never wanted to be like some folks and live off the system, but by gosh I paid into it my entire work life, and now I have to go through this many hoops and almost beg to get some help.

Lloyd, you are so right about one shrink and they get the benefits. My orthopedic doc told me he has had people who were completely unable to walk and not able to do much of anything and couldn't get approved, but then he has seen folks get approved immediately because they have severe depression or PTSD. I am not saying they are not deserving because I don't know all the facts, but come on, someone who is crippled can't get approved? Who did they put in charge in the approval department? All theses folks who have posted here about how quick they were approved or approved on the first go round, will I am really happy for you, and I mean that sincerely, because as I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone.

sparky45
09-06-2014, 09:47 AM
I think Lois Lerner also runs SS Disability, or as least it must be her clone.

DeputyDog25
09-06-2014, 10:08 AM
I am just amazed that a system that we pay into our entire working lives which is designed to take care of us in our old age or if we become disabled makes it such a battle to get the money back out of the system when we are unable to work and support ourselves. I reapplied for food stamps again but have not heard anything back from them yet. I have searched the internet for any kind of public assistance programs that might be able to help right away, but from what I can find out, they all have a lengthy application and approval process. This may have something to do with ethnicity, age, sex, blood type, weight, or favorite ball team, I really don't know.

smokeywolf
09-06-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not at all amazed. If those who need and earned help could get it merely by submitting easily verifiable findings from 2 or more qualified physicians (as it should be) and were able to get that earned and deserved assistance, it would mean that federal politicians are operating in our best interest. You know that's not the case.

Just one more example that the majority of federal politicians (the U.S. government) don't work for us, don't represent us and in fact are actively working against John & Jane Q. Taxpayer.

"of the people, by the people and for the people" has become, "against the people". 0bama Care, the VA, Social Security, Wall St. bailout, the economy, massive foreign policy failures, failure to devote sufficient resources to protect our Southern border, signing on to the UN arms treaty, intentionally ignoring their oath of office. This is not accidental or coincidental.

smokeywolf

DeputyDog25
09-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I totally agree with you smokeywolf, I guess I am not amazed, bad word choice, I guess appalled would have been a better word, that is why I said I can't wait to see if any of the politicians that I sent the letter to even have the gumption to answer my letter, even if it is just a "sorry, I can't help you" would mean that maybe they even took the time to read it and not just toss it in file 13. I am just praying that the Lord will intercede and that one of them actually steps up to the plate and goes to bat for us. I don't see the news media wanting to get involved in such a small thing as this, but they will be my last resort. I have heard many times people say that your life and situation can change in the blink of an eye, but never really gave it much weight up until now. I would have bet you six months ago that the chances of me being in the position I am in now could never happen, but I am convinced now that your life can change in the blink of an eye for the better or the worse.

MaryB
09-06-2014, 11:07 PM
My senator had a town hall meeting I went to. I asked him why disabled people with extreme physical disabilities had to go through he** to get help and people deemed crazy by one doc visit were an automatic approval. He said the doctors have to verify things and I interrupted him and and said "I had 13 MRI's from 3 different doctors, and 3 doctors reports saying I was unable to work because of the back and shoulder problems and was turned down twice. What does it take to look at that and say okay disabled?". He stuttered and hemmed and hawed then 2 other people stood up and had similar stories. He finally said that yes that is wrong and he would look into the issue. Will he actually do anything? Probably not. He is a democrat and likely will not be reelected when his term is up.

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2014, 08:45 AM
problem is with standards like that everyone would be getting it. Just look how easy it is to get a card to smoke pot. All you need is a doctor to say you need it. A fricking hang nail will get you approved. The doctors approve people just to make money and im sure there would be doctors then doing nothing but interviewing ss candidates and pay your 150 bucks and they would give the stamp of approval to anyone. What there ought to be is cut and dried standards for getting it. Bad back? show proof of sugery or have an mri that shows why they cant operate. Mental anguish? show proof that you were hospitalized more then once for it.

What we really need is social security personal that actually get involved with each applicant. I never once in my process even talked to someone at the ss office. they need to put there coffee cups down. Put down there rubber disaproval stamp that they use on about every first applicant and actually read those applications. Bottom line is if this stuff was really checked thered be two people kicked off for every new one that really quailifys.

Problem is theres people that make there living in the ss office just on interviewing people that get turned down the first time and appeal and have to go to there court. Theres lawyers that make there living off of disaproved candidates that are powerful lobbiers. Funny how it is you get approved for nothing much more then a hangnail if you hired a lawyer. My learning disabled sons case was a joke. I had volumes of documentation, interviews from doctors, teachers ect. I thought it was cut and dried and he wasnt approved the first time. Hired a lawyer and he went to there "court" with nothing but the documentation i presented the first time and 10 minutes later without even reading my documentation he was approved. then my lawyer and the board members headed to the local watering hole together.

Also dont think your letter actually hit that senetors desk. I went through that once too. Your letter goes to one of his many aids who if there in a good mood and they dont want to leave early will reply with a form letter. If your real special the senetor might even hand sign it but I wouldnt count on it.

DeputyDog25
09-07-2014, 09:28 AM
You are probably right about the letter not ever being seen by the senators or state representatives, but I have to try everything that I can. Like I said, if this doesn't work then I will contact the local news station and see if they are interested in doing the human interest story, my guess is probably not as this would probably open a can a worms that they wished had stayed closed, but there again I have to try everything I can. If I had something to fall back on financially it wouldn't be so bad, but all our saving was used up over the past year that I have been out of work on leave without pay. I thought I would be going back to work and all would be just fine, I guess I was way off base on that one. I can only hope that they do read the letters because it was five pages of total detail of all I have been through and what I am going through right now and the dire straights we are in.

snowwolfe
09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Sad to see anyone who is entitled to this benefit suffer through the process to actually get it. I wish you the best of luck.

On another note I hope someone reading this thread sits down and carefully rethinks their retirement plan and makes the adjustments to put something away every month of their life into a savings or 401K plan. In the long run the only person who will take care of our needs is our self. We all are only one accident away from being in the exact same situation.

Wise Owl
09-07-2014, 11:57 AM
DD25, I am glad to hear you wrote the letters. I called my Senator's office about my case and they sent me a form to fill out authorizing them to look into my disability case. I have to write the letter to her also but I have hopes that at least someone in her office will look into why I have been denied so many times.

As to why no food stamps and you don't earn any money? It's your wife's retirement pay. They include that as household income even tho you don't get a pay check her pay IS income. If it's higher than the approved amount for 2 people, they will deny you foodstamps.
We get a piddly amount each month. About enough to buy a gallon of milk and some meat for a couple days. It isn't much.

ANY income coming in is added in. If you didn't have her retirement pay you would get the full alotment of what you qualify for. They also count utility bills, electric, heat, etc towards the full amount you have to pay out. And they also use the amount that your vehicle is worth. I guess they figure if you have a car worth 15,000 you could sell that and get a cheaper car and then have the extra cash for food and bills.

It's all worked so those who do nothing and have never done nothing (illegals/people in the slums) can get assistance. Not for folks like us who worked and paid in. We supported those unwed mothers for years but when WE need it, no way.

I didn't intend on getting in the car accident in 96. I had just opened my own beauty shop in our house. I WANTED to be self employed. I had a good clientel that followed me when I left the salon I worked at before opening my shop. We were doing ok. Then wham, some kid on his way to an Ozzy Osborn concert came speeding thru an intersection at the bottom of a hill and took my ability to work away.

So yeah, it only takes one idiot to mess up your life. If that hadn't happened, I could still be doing hair and making decent money.

DeputyDog25
09-07-2014, 12:42 PM
"As to why no food stamps and you don't earn any money? It's your wife's retirement pay. They include that as household income even tho you don't get a pay check her pay IS income. If it's higher than the approved amount for 2 people, they will deny you foodstamps."

This is what I don't understand. Yes, she has retirement income but it is well under what the guidelines say you can make and still be entitled to food stamps. When all of our utilities and other expenses are added up and then put her income in, we are actually in the negative. As for a vehicle, my truck was repossessed months ago and the other truck we have is a 2001 worth about $1800 book value and that is figuring in VGC, which it is not, it has almost 300,000 miles on it. I doubt we could sell it and use what little money we got out of it to live more than a couple of weeks. I just keep scratching my head when they say we make too much money.

tomme boy
09-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Do you own your house? That applies also.

DeputyDog25
09-07-2014, 03:45 PM
The house is not paid for, we have a mortgage, insurance and taxes which are part of the expenses on the application. We have very little equity in the house so I am sure that won't count against us according to what the guidelines I read shows. I don't know what the issue is, but I am just going to continue to pray and trust in the Lord and he will provide. The Lord has been faithful thus far, so as long as we have faith I see no reason why that would change. I just have to get the doubt and fear out of my head and know that our needs will be met. I appreciate all the good folks here on Cast Boolits who are praying for us.

Duckiller
09-07-2014, 05:40 PM
How old are you? Wife got a disability retirement from Social Security with no problem, but she was almost at retirement age. What I have seen over the years is that the younger you are the harder it is to get a disability retirement on initial application. You haven't paid in that much and you are going to get money for a long time. Write to your politicans , especially Federal ones,Senator and Representative and get a lawyer that specializes in Social Security disability retirements. It takes time and is trying but you will win.

MaryB
09-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I was forced into pulling everything from 401k in the 3 years it took to get SSDI. 90% of it went to medical bills because I had no coverage, other 10% is what I lived on. Left me broke with nothing but SSDI to rely on.

Sad to see anyone who is entitled to this benefit suffer through the process to actually get it. I wish you the best of luck.

On another note I hope someone reading this thread sits down and carefully rethinks their retirement plan and makes the adjustments to put something away every month of their life into a savings or 401K plan. In the long run the only person who will take care of our needs is our self. We all are only one accident away from being in the exact same situation.

MaryB
09-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I was 46, had a solid 27 year work history that the SSA judge looked at. He said "you are not a faker, not afraid of work either" That was right before he started in on a tirade butt chewing of the SSA rep.

How old are you? Wife got a disability retirement from Social Security with no problem, but she was almost at retirement age. What I have seen over the years is that the younger you are the harder it is to get a disability retirement on initial application. You haven't paid in that much and you are going to get money for a long time. Write to your politicans , especially Federal ones,Senator and Representative and get a lawyer that specializes in Social Security disability retirements. It takes time and is trying but you will win.

3jimbo3
09-08-2014, 12:23 AM
DeputyDog25, you are on the right track in trusting the Lord to provide. My family and I are praying for your well being and success in your pursuit of what is rightfully yours. You have served your country and this is the thanks you get for it. I know you probably didn't ask for a thank you, but you deserve it. My wife fought for 5 years(we live in Tennessee) before she got hers. Failing kidneys, a cage around her spine, a shoulder that had to be anchored in ( in three places), pulmonary sarcoidosis and some other health issues. The SSI attorney stood up in court and ask the judge to give her what she deserved. My father in law on the other hand, worked in a factory here in town for over 30 years, started his own business as a residential contractor. While on the job one day, he fell from a scaffold, severely injured he had to have surgery on his leg that was broken in several places. After several months of healing, he got the cast removed from his leg. As he was getting in his truck he nearly fell, protecting his leg, he put his arm down to catch himself. Shattered arm. Over a year ago, the arm didn't heal right so he can no longer do his job. The SSI says it does not matter that he put 30 years in the steel plant he worked at and he does not have enough credits to draw anything at ALL. Yes our system is messed up real bad! Best wishes to you. The Lord said… IF I am for you, who can be against you? Good will prevail my friend.

MaryB
09-08-2014, 03:07 AM
Only way he could not have enough credits is if his boss was not paying taxes all those years. SS rep is way wrong on that one.

DeputyDog25
09-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I pretty much emptied my heart out to the senators, state rep and Governor when I wrote the 5 page letter. I asked straight out for help and told them I was in a desperate situation. I told them that I had dedicated my entire life to pubic service without selfishness and that they to were public servants and this is one of their constituents asking for help, so they needed to do what they were elected to do. I agree with another person who posted that the letters will probably never be read by any of them, they will either be tossed aside or I will get some form letter from an aide saying that this is not something they can get involved in.

Wayne Smith
09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
If your elected representatives do nothing it is time to call the TV investigator. It is your elected representatives JOB to interface between constituents and the federal government. If they refuse to do that, and for a veteran, the public needs to know. Elections are coming.

3jimbo3
09-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Only way he could not have enough credits is if his boss was not paying taxes all those years. SS rep is way wrong on that one.

They claim to only go back three years now and the steel mill was pay that time. They said if he had paid disability tax while he was working for himself then he could draw. He had a certified accountant do all his taxes, the accountant had never heard of any such thing. The working man cannot get ahead in this race.

DeputyDog25
09-08-2014, 01:27 PM
They claim to only go back three years now and the steel mill was pay that time. They said if he had paid disability tax while he was working for himself then he could draw. He had a certified accountant do all his taxes, the accountant had never heard of any such thing. The working man cannot get ahead in this race.

Amen to the working man not being able to get ahead! We take so much for granted when we are working and making ends meet, and I know myself, I never really gave much thought to what disabled folks went through in order to get financial assistance, food stamps, or medical care. Well, let me tell you, now that I am in the middle of all this, believe me, I hope none of you ever have to go through this. You know, I am in a great deal of pain everyday and sometimes it gets so bad that I will just start crying, but here lately, the pain has taken a back seat to the cow dung that my wife and I are having to go through just to get someone to step up and do the right thing at Social Security. Now I sit and sometimes cry wondering how we are going to make it, especially when the folks at social security and the food stamp place, who should care, just don't seem to care at all. I guess it is similar to being a cop, firefighter, or emt. When you see someone die the first few times it is very emotional and mentally taxing, but then the more you see it, you kind of become cold to it. I guess the people in this public assistance offices see people everyday trying to get assistance, they just don't care or don't do all that they probably could do to help people out.

Duckiller
09-08-2014, 01:41 PM
3jimbo3 SS is lying! When I was thinking about filing for SS they had my work record and SS earnings back to 1960. they need that info to determine what you are supposed to get.

MaryB
09-08-2014, 10:50 PM
They looked at my earnings all the way back to 1974 when I was 14.

Wayne Smith
09-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Many people confuse SSDI and SSI and welfare and food stamps. SSI and welfare and food stamps and all other such programs are state run. You are dealing with a state agency using state and federal dollars. SSDI is a federal program and you are dealing directly with the Social Security beaucracy. Two different (in some states many more than two!) agencies. Social Security, in this instance, only deals with SSDI.
Veterans benefits are completely different again. Realize with whom you are dealing and be very clear when you deal with them that you give them the information they need. SSI only looks at current income, SSDI looks at lifetime quarters paid.

oneokie
09-09-2014, 06:04 PM
People, y'all need to get your information in order before any more accusations are made in this thread.

smokeywolf
09-09-2014, 06:41 PM
3jimbo3 SS is lying! When I was thinking about filing for SS they had my work record and SS earnings back to 1960. they need that info to determine what you are supposed to get.

Duckiller, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think you meant to put a comma after "3jimbo3". Like this: "3jimbo3, SS is lying!" Which merely means that you are asserting that Social Security is lying; not 3jimbo3.

smokeywolf

texaswoodworker
09-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Scott

Gain about 300lbs and watch TV all day and they'll consider you disabled.

Yeah, the whole welfare system in America is corrupt. :mad:

Wayne Smith
09-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Oh, and don't expect sympathy. They had to give this up within two months of working or less to psychologically survive. Expect them to do their jobs, no more and no less. Deputy, you were in the military and in the law enforcement. You learned to use an organized structure to get what you needed and wanted. This is no different. Learn their rules and requirements and hold them to it.

jcwit
09-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Not going back and read this whold thread, but have you even attempted to contact the VA?

tigweldit
09-09-2014, 09:15 PM
What tommie boy said is true.

DeputyDog25
09-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Not going back and read this whold thread, but have you even attempted to contact the VA?

Yes, I have a lawyer who is also a disabled vet and he is working for me pro bono (no pay) to try and get my VA claim pushed through, he feels like I can get at least 80% and probably 100% because of my blown out knees and hips. I was an 18D SF Medic and made a lot of jumps which took their toll on my back, knees and hips.

jcwit
09-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Good, Lets Pray that better days are coming.

Lloyd Smale
09-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Whats really sad it they will twist you in knots to get your own money back but will turn around and give an illegal imigrant or a knocked up crack head welfare for the asking and theyve paid in zero!!!! Your better off being a lazy **** then being someone who is to crippled to work.

DeputyDog25
09-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Well, I got an answer back from my application for food stamps today and they turned me down again. According to the worksheet that you fill out listing all of your assets and income we fall over $400 below the income standard and it had nothing to do with anything we own. I just don't understand, but you can bet I will be making a phone call on Monday morning to find out what is going on. There has to be somebody who can tell me what in the world is keeping us from getting approved when there a people scamming the system everyday getting welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc...

If you would, please remember to keep us in your thoughts and prayers, things are getting harder and harder, but we just need to trust in the Lord that he is going to intervene and provide for our needs. Thanks in advance to all for your prayers.

tomme boy
09-20-2014, 02:32 PM
First I would look up any food pantries in your local area. A lot of churches do this. Also don't know if you have one in your area, but The Benevolent Society, The Salvation Army. They usually will do a 3-5 day food supply. Any little bit will help. I am in close to the same situation as you right now.

Duckiller
09-20-2014, 03:03 PM
What Smokeywolf said. SS lied not the poster here.

MrWolf
09-20-2014, 03:56 PM
DeputyDog25 - When you call on Monday ask to speak to the Director. You probably won't get to speak to the Director but your information should be taken and looked at. Be polite and explain what you have been told and that your income is below the required amount. Ask for a fair hearing and make sure you complete whatever process they may have for one. Hopefully someone will look it over and if your numbers are correct grant the food stamps. If not, you get to tell your side in the hearing. Good Luck.

Ron

DeputyDog25
09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
DeputyDog25 - When you call on Monday ask to speak to the Director. You probably won't get to speak to the Director but your information should be taken and looked at. Be polite and explain what you have been told and that your income is below the required amount. Ask for a fair hearing and make sure you complete whatever process they may have for one. Hopefully someone will look it over and if your numbers are correct grant the food stamps. If not, you get to tell your side in the hearing. Good Luck.

Ron

Thank you Ron, I will do just that. I won't get upset or lose my temper, I very rarely do that anymore, I just want someone to give me an explanation that makes sense, not just try and give me some canned response to get rid of me. If need be, I will get my wife to drive me to the office in Jacksonville and talk to someone in person.

runfiverun
09-20-2014, 08:27 PM
when you go take a tape recorder with you, let them know you are recording it so you can follow their directions exactly.
they will quite often become a little less umm unfriendly.

MaryB
09-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I know MN requires non-disabled adults(you are still considered this until someone in a position of importance says otherwise) to work 20 hours per week to get food stamps. Some drone in a cubical is not looking at your entire application and is making mistakes I bet

Thank you Ron, I will do just that. I won't get upset or lose my temper, I very rarely do that anymore, I just want someone to give me an explanation that makes sense, not just try and give me some canned response to get rid of me. If need be, I will get my wife to drive me to the office in Jacksonville and talk to someone in person.

MrWolf
09-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Here is a quick pdf link for food stamps in Florida:

http://floridalawhelp.org/files/3B1F73BC-C552-0FCC-AA24-7BF0B1FEB224/attachments/3CEA8070-9B93-5D1B-4C48-4DC2AE8A118F/12p-6-food-stamps.pdf

TreeKiller
09-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Here is a quick pdf link for food stamps in Florida:

http://floridalawhelp.org/files/3B1F73BC-C552-0FCC-AA24-7BF0B1FEB224/attachments/3CEA8070-9B93-5D1B-4C48-4DC2AE8A118F/12p-6-food-stamps.pdf

Print this out and go over it item by item with whoever you talk to or see.

DeputyDog25
09-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Well, here is an update on the phone conversation I had with the folks at the food stamp office. I was told that the retirement income that my wife brings in is definitely below the minimum required to qualify for food stamps, the problem lies within the fact that because I live in the same home as my wife and because "she" owns the home we live in, it is all in her name, the value of the property is taken into consideration and if we were that needy that we should be able to take out a home equity loan to provide for our needs. At this point in the conversation I kind of lost my temper a bit after the statement about a home equity loan was brought up and I asked the person on the other end of the phone how do they know that we even have any equity in our home, how could we afford to pay for a home equity loan if we are having problems right now meeting our obligations and at this point the lady excused herself from the conversation and said very quickly that she had no control over the decision and that if I didn't agree with it I could appeal it and then said thank you for calling and have a nice day. I was beside myself and also upset with myself for losing my temper, but what's done is done. I have no plans of appealing the decision as it would serve no purpose. I feel like the only way for me to get approved would be to reapply and say that my wife and I are separated/legally separated which is a lie and I refuse to lie in order to get assistance because that would just make me a hypocrite. I found one church in our area who runs a food kitchen but it is a maximum of 3 visits and it is not meant to be a long term solution, but merely to get folks through while applying for food stamps.

On a brighter note, I did get a phone call from the office of my state representative to who I sent one of the letters, she asked me if my attorney had filed an appeal yet to the two turn down letters and until the appeal was filed that my state rep could do nothing. Once the appeal is filed he can review the situation (she is sending me a release of information form to sign) and they will look into what is going on with my case but only within the extent the law allows, which I think meant that would not show favoritism and put me at the head of the line, but merely to make sure that my case was being handled as it is suppose be handled according to the guidelines of SSDI. I don't know this for sure and I may get a surprise and get a date before the Administrative judge very quickly, but we will see. The state reps assistant did say that she didn't understand why I was turned down if all of the conditions that were listed on my letter were documented by my physicians, she said it should have been approved the first time. So, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens, but time is not our friend at this point because the bills keep coming and nothing is happening to help us out. We will just continue to trust in the Lord and pray for intervention and we would appreciate if everyone would continue to keep us in their prayers.

MrWolf
09-24-2014, 11:06 AM
According to the federal food stamp website:
Households may have $2,000 in countable resources, such as a bank account, or $3250 in countable resources if at least one person is age 60 or older, or is disabled. However, certain resources are NOT counted, such as a home and lot, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resources of people who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly AFDC), and most retirement (pension) plans. (http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pensions.pdf) The procedures for handling vehicles are determined at the state level.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

I would file for a fair hearing based upon your statements.

Ron

Duckiller
09-24-2014, 02:46 PM
DD25 appeal being turned down for food stamps. Every time you appeal you make the people who turned you down look bad. Also when you appeal it makes their bosses work.

lead-1
09-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Really sad to be in this position, when I became disabled my sick pay left me aprox $1 after paying my Cobra insurance. I was turned down for any help, after my sick pay ran out (six months). I reapplied and was turned down again because a family of four should be able to pay bills and live on 34 hours of minimum wage I guess.
About two years after becoming disabled and still being denied disability, zero income except the wife's 34 hours, I reapplied again and was granted $63 a month food stamps with a LARGE PLUS being now the two boys were allowed a medical card.
Now for the kicker, three months later I was re-evaluated and the food stamps were cut to $13 a month at which point I told them to keep their food stamps, they must need them more than me. So, after 29 months of being unable to work I was allowed a total $189 of gov. help besides getting the medical card for the boys.

Hang in there DeputyDog25, if it weren't for God, family and friends I don't know what we would've done to get by.
As aggravating as it was getting thru that time we were finally blessed three months later when my disability was approved.

DeputyDog25
09-24-2014, 07:41 PM
I certainly appreciate all the information and encouragement. I am just at a position where I am standing in the middle of a field with four roads all around me and just don't know which one to take. I know that we can't and won't make it much longer without some government assistance. My wife fell this morning and we think she tore the meniscus in her left knee, so she is down also. When it rains it pours and I feel more and more like Job, except my wife has not told me to curse God and die. No matter what the devil throws at us, we are going to continue to pray, believe and give praise to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We believe that he will most definitely provide, but it will be in his time not ours and that is sometimes hard to grasp and deal with. I will say this, everyone here at Cast Boolits who has prayer for me, encouraged me, given advice, given financially, and just have been there to talk to when I was down, I wouldn't have made it without all of you. You all have become my extended family and I have quite a few friends on here, and they know who they are that give me a kick in the seat of the pants when I need it and keep me going, and as I sit here and think about the kindness, the generosity, and the love shown by all of you I tear up and thank God for each and everyone of you, and count it a blessing that I was lead to this site where there are the best people you will find anywhere in the world, and I truly, truly mean that. May God truly bless everyone of you and your families and pour out his blessing upon you for being the wonderful people that you are. I am truly privileged to be associated with such a wonderful group of folks who care about others and will take that extra step to lift up a friend in need with a word of kindness.

MaryB
09-24-2014, 08:47 PM
They cannot include your house, I would go to the food stamp office and demand to speak to a supervisor. Meanwhile don't overlook the food shelves!

DeputyDog25
09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, I just wanted to let every one know that God does, always has, and always will answer our prayers if we have faith to believe that he will provide. I called to find out how to appeal my case for food stamps and the lady who I spoke with, she was very kind and willing to help asked for my personal information so she could look up my case. Well, guess what; she said to me "why are you wanting to file an appeal when your application has been approved". I nearly fainted, I came to and said "what, I got a letter in the mail stating that I was turned down" and she told me that a letter went out today with my food stamp card in it and I got $357 a month in food stamps to help us out! Praise God! Praise be to our Father in Heaven. I also got another response back from the Governors office and I now have not only my state rep looking into my case but also both of my state senators after a call from the Governor to them asking them to look into why my case was denied in the first place. I am trusting in my Father in Heaven and praying that something happens financially very soon. The food stamps were a blessing but they don't pay the bills. I want to thank everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers, they really mean a lot to Pat and I. Please continue to keep us in your prayers, that God will intervene and provide for us financially.

On a side note, I got to meet Beezapilot this weekend when I delivered the traffic light to him and it was a pleasure meeting both he and his lovely wife. They are both wonderful people and I am so glad to have met both of them. There are quite a few more members here that I would love to meet in person to shake their hand, give them a hug, and thank them for all that they have done for Pat and I.

MaryB
09-30-2014, 12:12 AM
Glad things are looking up. I am struggling to get stuff ready for winter, now with an injured hand in a brace for 3 more weeks it is not helping any.

DeputyDog25
09-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Glad things are looking up. I am struggling to get stuff ready for winter, now with an injured hand in a brace for 3 more weeks it is not helping any.

Well Mary, I wish I was in a position to help you out, you have certainly been an encouragement and source of information for me during my tribulations. I will pray for a quick healing and comfort for your hand.

BethelHntr
09-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Hang in there deputy dog with ssi, It is hard for some to receive benefits for some reason, I was denied twice and hired a lawyer for the third try. I don't think it took ten minutes in front of a judge when he approved it. I had a great job making good money when my doctor found a brain tumor that has grown against a artery and the pituatary gland, I haven't worked since.

Good luck to you.

DeputyDog25
09-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Hang in there deputy dog with ssi, It is hard for some to receive benefits for some reason, I was denied twice and hired a lawyer for the third try. I don't think it took ten minutes in front of a judge when he approved it. I had a great job making good money when my doctor found a brain tumor that has grown against a artery and the pituatary gland, I haven't worked since.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am so sorry to hear of your medical issues and I will keep you in my prayers for healing and comfort. I have an attorney who is working diligently to get me approved, it is just a huge uphill climb to get to the summit.

MrWolf
09-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Glad to hear you finally got your foodstamps DeputyDog25. Hang in there and hoping SS will be approved quickly.

Ron

DeputyDog25
01-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I just wanted to update my thread and let everyone know that I got some disappointing news yesterday. I have been in the process of reopening my old case where I was hit by a semi back in 2002. The claim was open for 5 1/2 years while I was going through many surgeries, therapy, and so on. The claim was closed towards the end of 2007 and I had 7 years to reopen the claim if my condition worsened from the injuries sustained in the accident. Well, my wife and I flew to Washington state for a Independent Medical Exam on Dec 22, 2014 where I saw a Neurosurgeon and a Orthopedic surgeon who are supposed to be neutral and don't work for the state. Well after flying up on the 21st and back on the 23rd in the cramped seats of the plane, I was in severe pain for at least a week afterwards. I found out yesterday that my request to reopen the case was denied due to "No Worsening of conditions" by the two "neutral" doctors...yeah right! I wasn't using a walker when my claim was closed, my right leg wasn't completely numb when my case was closed, I was taking pain pills like they were candy when my case was closed, you get the point. How in the world can they say that my condition hasn't worsened? I just don't understand how they can treat people this way and have a clear conscience. Well I have ranted long enough, sorry but just had to vent. Thanks to everyone here for their continued support and prayers. I started my restoration business and also building and selling PID's, but it hasn't taken off yet. I hope that after I get a few done and folks start giving feedback it may help.

On a more positive note, I have someone who I met here on the board and believe it or not, he contacted me about restoring and selling 3 Ballisti Cast Mark II machines. Well the deal was confirmed today, the equipment is on the way here from believe it or not, Germany. It is coming by ship to the port of Jacksonville and I am very excited about working on these machines and hopefully making some good profit on them. Well I just wanted to share that with everyone. God always provides for his children and will not allow them to be down trodden.

Remiel
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
DeputyDog25 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?37013-DeputyDog25), One thing i learned about SSI/D in my work and personally in my family, Is that that will always deny first and make you fight and holler in an attempt to discourage you from appliying, Most folks i have dealt with have had to wait, reapply, fight, and get a lawyer, and still have had to wait one or more years. So keep up the fight, don't let them beat you down and if you get angry, go vent to a friend or a fence post then go back after them like a starving dog after a piece of meat. Eventually you WILL win

SSGOldfart
01-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Just the first cut,a lot of people give up at this point.but I think your smarter than that.

glassparman
01-06-2015, 08:09 PM
That really sucks. I have a brother-in-law who blew out his knee 20 years ago and got SSD in a pinch. He has had his knee replaced, rides a Harley and even coaches HS football but STILL gets the SSD!!!!

I wish I could kick him off to give it to you!! Now, where is my camera to take pictures of that Harley riding disabled guy??

Outer Rondacker
01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
I have never seen a more corrupt and retarded program as Social Security Disability. I would love to know what they do consider to be disabled. Oh well, I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Scott

This is so true. Sorry to hear how bad it is Scott. Dont give up keep the case open. Now that that is said a fast story. I have a buddy who went on a journey(he was retired). He took pics of guys who milked the system. He got tape recordings of the guys saying how they milked the system and other bad stuff about the system. He even had some recordings of guys tell him how to fake it and get the money. Last but not least he offered them cash work as laborers and offered them 50 bucks an hour. He never paid them but had the proof they where on the job. After all this he walked into the SSD building and asked to be seen. Presented his case and said I know how much each one is getting. If you add it up the standard life span with all of them I just saved you well over mill. Every one on his list and it was not short still works under the table and still gets a check. Oh and not that it matters but every single one of them do drugs and drink.

I personally have been shot down three times. They have put me at 78% and this was before my back issues.

I wish you the best of luck and like others have said hang in there. They dont want to pay anyone the first time around.

mattw
01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
My wife was severely injured 9 years ago, including traumatic brain injuries. They denied her the first time, we pressured and did the neutral doc thing and they said it looked good but would take 1.5 years to approve. Short story, we contacted our federal congressman, he made calls and we were approved 2 days later and had a check in 25 days.

Apply lots of pressure, don't let them jerk you around.

Good luck!

DougGuy
01-06-2015, 09:17 PM
OP don't give up, the longer they say no the bigger the check when you DO WIN and you WILL WIN. It is BS what they are doing in your case, you just have to outlast them and keep going to your representatives. I would try a different doc or two if you can/

MaryB
01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Did you choose the doctors or did they? If they did they are not independent they are paid to say you are fine. See a local doc and get an appointment with a local neurosurgeon ASAP because nerve damage becomes permanent if left to long. SSA has canceled every med exam they scheduled for me, going on 9 years now...

xs11jack
01-06-2015, 10:18 PM
DD25 We are still praying.
Ole Jack

MrWolf
01-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Scott,

File again and get your own doctor's opinions. Don't let them beat you! Hang in their buddy.

Ron

MaryB
01-06-2015, 10:42 PM
And get a lawyer! They work for a percentage of back benefits so you pay nothing up front.

PB234
01-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Scott, I believe you are a straight forward honest guy expecting the system to respond to you in a straight forward honest way. I suggest Googling something like Florida Social Security Disability lawyers. Pick out a few close to you and call them. Figure out which lawyer to use and lawyer up. I am sorry, but that appears to be the system we all have to deal with.

I did Google it and there were lots of lawyers in Florida who specialize in this. I don't know Florida geography and have no idea which are close to you, but some must be (if you care about being close). There were lots of them. I have dealt with lots of lawyers and you have my phone number (I am the guy with the Lyman 45 you fixed) if you want to chat about what to ask of and how to deal with lawyers. Mostly it is obvious. What can you do for me? What does it cost me? Does the gentleman charge by the hour (gulp) for labor or expenses or take part of the winnings if any? How long does the attorney believe it will take and what is his/her experience with this type of effort? Years of experience? What other specialities does he pursue? If you sign up with the attorney and he/she is not working the case can you leave or does it cost you big $ to fire the lawyer. Does the lawyer have a staff that he hands the work down to? How does he/she report to you about progress? Ask what the steps they will take are and when these steps are taken.

There is more, but this is a start. You know where to find me if you want to talk. If you lost the phone number and want to talk send me a PM and I'll provide the number.

People just get crushed. If you don't stand up and try it will crush you. Lets at least give it a try and a fight. what is the worst that can happen? Not get benefits? You got them now? What do you have to lose? Fight it and see if you can win.

pjames32
01-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Scott-I have not read all the posts! I agree with get an attorney SPECIALIZING in DDSI. We fought 3 turn downs with our adult daughter about 20 years ago and finally got her on SSDI. She got a pretty good back check (bought a used truck) and was able to collect for several years before we lost her.
Prayers are with you. I KNOW you are not a quitter.
PM me if I can help.
Paul James (pjames32)

DeputyDog25
01-07-2015, 12:54 AM
Scott, I believe you are a straight forward honest guy expecting the system to respond to you in a straight forward honest way. I suggest Googling something like Florida Social Security Disability lawyers. Pick out a few close to you and call them. Figure out which lawyer to use and lawyer up. I am sorry, but that appears to be the system we all have to deal with.

I did Google it and there were lots of lawyers in Florida who specialize in this. I don't know Florida geography and have no idea which are close to you, but some must be (if you care about being close). There were lots of them. I have dealt with lots of lawyers and you have my phone number (I am the guy with the Lyman 45 you fixed) if you want to chat about what to ask of and how to deal with lawyers. Mostly it is obvious. What can you do for me? What does it cost me? Does the gentleman charge by the hour (gulp) for labor or expenses or take part of the winnings if any? How long does the attorney believe it will take and what is his/her experience with this type of effort? Years of experience? What other specialities does he pursue? If you sign up with the attorney and he/she is not working the case can you leave or does it cost you big $ to fire the lawyer. Does the lawyer have a staff that he hands the work down to? How does he/she report to you about progress? Ask what the steps they will take are and when these steps are taken.

There is more, but this is a start. You know where to find me if you want to talk. If you lost the phone number and want to talk send me a PM and I'll provide the number.

People just get crushed. If you don't stand up and try it will crush you. Lets at least give it a try and a fight. what is the worst that can happen? Not get benefits? You got them now? What do you have to lose? Fight it and see if you can win.

I do have a lawyer working with me, both on my SSDI and the reopening of my workers compensation case from 02. We were just stunned when the report came through and denied the reopening due to "non worsening of conditions". I have a Florida Lawyer and a Washington state Lawyer.

DeputyDog25
01-07-2015, 01:03 AM

I do have specialized lawyers working on both cases, the SSDI and the closed Worker Comp case, but can be reopened if the condition has worsened, but the doctors said it hadn't. Hmm, I don't remember having to use a walker to get around when the case closed, and I don't remember my right leg losing all the feeling in it, and if I have no cane or walker when the leg goes numb, I usually have a nasty fall, I also don't remember of having to take about a dozen pills most are depression, anxiety, and pain. Well you get the picture.

2HighSpeed
01-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Social Security is a very corrupt system. My husband was approved right off the bat, 4 weeks after I applied for him. BUT, He was approved because he solid proof of his TBI, He at the time had 2 suicide attempts within 12 months and he had solid proof that he needed a caregiver.
HOWEVER, My son who has a severe illness and met all their criteria plus some was denied. Their criteria was 3 hospitalizations in 1 year. He had 7.
So, My advice to you is to appeal it. Appeal it as quick as possible and don't ever for minute let them think they are going to get away with it.

DeputyDog25
01-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Well, I guess what makes me the most frustrated is that the "Comp Case" is completely separate from the SSDI case but they both put you through the same horse hockey. They continue to keep turning you down and putting you closer and closer to the poor house. I have an attorney representing me in both cases and they both told me what you all are telling me, you just have to keep fighting, waiting, crying, not sleeping, and finding any way you can to survive until the game is over and I have come out on top. I really hope my business takes off to where I can help out around here with the bills. I think after some of my work gets back to folks, I am praying that word of mouth will push work my way. I just appreciate all of you, my extended family, I love all of you and thank you so much for your encouragement, prayers, advice, doing business with me, and just listening to me rant and rave...LOL.

Scott

SSGOldfart
01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
And get a lawyer! They work for a percentage of back benefits so you pay nothing up front.
And there is a cap of how much the lawyer gets and only when you win.SSDI pays your attorney,you don't.I never met my attorney,just a couple of phone calls with his paralegal sign release for medical records,and they done the rest.

MaryB
01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
I met mine and he capped his fee under the max allowed by SSA because he liked helping people. When I applied I had 13 MRI's showing all the joint damage I fight and how it was steadily getting worse and they turned me down twice. Third time was before a admin law judge and after he heard our side he turned and asked the SSA lawyer one question. "Just what the heck do you expect her to do for work?" Then he went into a very long tirade against him about my case should never have been denied from the beginning. SSA guy was getting redder and redder in the face and I thought he was going to have a heart attack when the judge finally told me you are approved I am making a bench decision and there will be no wait for me to review anything.

The system is corrupted with the peons who review incoming cases told to reject everything unless it is drug addiction, mental health, or you are to fat.

DeputyDog25
01-08-2015, 12:33 PM
The system is corrupted with the peons who review incoming cases told to reject everything unless it is drug addiction, mental health, or you are to fat.

Well Mary, I will go buy myself some cocaine, have my wife hit me in the head with a baseball bat, and go to the buffet and eat till I puke! Oh, and then I will do the same thing the next day and the next day and the next day and on and on till they say "YES" [smilie=b: :groner: :killingpc

gnostic
01-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Don't let them discourage you! They do this to good people all the time.

buckwheatpaul
01-08-2015, 02:26 PM
DeputyDog25, I have followed your ups and downs and you have been in my prayers since the beginning.....I hate the way that you are being jerked around by the Government that you have paid into and when you need help....let us say...they are not the "good hands people!" I know that the only way to win is through not giving up, prayer, and your family (immediate as well as your Cast Boolit Family). We are here for you....Paul

DeputyDog25
01-08-2015, 02:41 PM
DeputyDog25, I have followed your ups and downs and you have been in my prayers since the beginning.....I hate the way that you are being jerked around by the Government that you have paid into and when you need help....let us say...they are not the "good hands people!" I know that the only way to win is through not giving up, prayer, and your family (immediate as well as your Cast Boolit Family). We are here for you....Paul

Paul I know you have been praying for me and you have been an encouraging spirit to me. I thank you so much for that Paul, and I know that the rest of my extended family here at CB have been praying also. I just can't thank all of you enough for what you have done for Pat and me. Your caring spirit, prayers, encouragement, and uplifting words have meant so much to me. I am so proud to be associated with such the finest group of people you will find anywhere. I will tell you this, without me having found this forum and interacting with so many of you, I probably would not be here. I was going through a time for about 6 months or so before I ran into this forum that I was contemplating suicide. My pain is so extreme that it tears my wife apart to sit here and see me in tears, but I know, as Paul just said, The Lord will always be with me, He has lead me through some of the darkest days and I know he will continue to walk with me. God Bless each and everyone of you and your families and if there is anything I can do for any of you, please ask. I hope to one day be able to pay back the kindness and generosity shown to me and Pat. I love each and everyone of you in the Lord and appreciate all my brothers and sisters here on CB.

Scott

woodbutcher
01-08-2015, 04:59 PM
:-x It took me 3 1/2 years to get my ssdi.A friend waited for 12 YEARS for his VA disability to finally be approved.He got ALL 12 years of back benefits too.6 figures worth of them.Like everybody has said get a GOOD lawyer.Prayers to you an yours.God bless.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MaryB
01-08-2015, 11:11 PM
I know the pain your are going through, many a night I rock in my chair in pain trying to distract myself. Best thing is to not think of the pain, put it in the back of your mind and concentrate on keeping busy doing something

Paul I know you have been praying for me and you have been an encouraging spirit to me. I thank you so much for that Paul, and I know that the rest of my extended family here at CB have been praying also. I just can't thank all of you enough for what you have done for Pat and me. Your caring spirit, prayers, encouragement, and uplifting words have meant so much to me. I am so proud to be associated with such the finest group of people you will find anywhere. I will tell you this, without me having found this forum and interacting with so many of you, I probably would not be here. I was going through a time for about 6 months or so before I ran into this forum that I was contemplating suicide. My pain is so extreme that it tears my wife apart to sit here and see me in tears, but I know, as Paul just said, The Lord will always be with me, He has lead me through some of the darkest days and I know he will continue to walk with me. God Bless each and everyone of you and your families and if there is anything I can do for any of you, please ask. I hope to one day be able to pay back the kindness and generosity shown to me and Pat. I love each and everyone of you in the Lord and appreciate all my brothers and sisters here on CB.

Scott

buckwheatpaul
01-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Scott, My wife wanted me to relay to you that she gets a whopping $90.00/mo. from SSI.....she was told that she could give up her pension offor a full benefit of less than $300.00/month....and they also told her that eventhough she has paid fully into SSI that we are not entitled to get our money back out....seems like we are working for the Feds and not the other way around....I dont have an answer .... but I can assure you that your CB Family is there for you brother....Paul

DeputyDog25
01-09-2015, 02:32 AM
Scott, My wife wanted me to relay to you that she gets a whopping $90.00/mo. from SSI.....she was told that she could give up her pension offor a full benefit of less than $300.00/month....and they also told her that eventhough she has paid fully into SSI that we are not entitled to get our money back out....seems like we are working for the Feds and not the other way around....I dont have an answer .... but I can assure you that your CB Family is there for you brother....Paul

I just can't believe that we have to live this way. We have politicians who do absolutely nothing for the elderly and disabled who were once a productive member of society. I am so ready to go home, I pray for it every day. I don't want to leave my wife and kids but this pain is getting worse and worse. I haven't slept in a bed in over a year, I stay in a recliner chair most of the day. I have a nice work area for my equipment that comes in to be worked on, and I am relatively comfortable sitting there, just not for long periods of time, but I still manage to usually complete a pot in a day or two. Well, I am starting to ramble, so just know that I thank all of you for continuing prayers and encouragement.

Paul, I thank you for your continued support and know that my CB family is with me sure means a lot.

MaryB
01-10-2015, 12:20 AM
You are in the stage I went through. Keep up the fight, things will work out eventually! And stay busy! Doesn't matter what you are doing! I beat the pain, sure I live with it every day and it has gotten worse but I now know how to beat it and the number one way is not think about it. Just got the CT Myelogram results on my neck and it is getting worse with the spinal cord compressed in 4 spots now. I still keep on going because I am to dang stubborn to give in to the other and sit and wait to die!

brasshog
03-06-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm on year two with lawyers involved now after my 7th heart attack and triple bypass. It was going to be a quintiple bypass but they were able to clean the other two out. I fall frequently due to vertigo now and am so week that I can't get up for almost twenty minutes. They have told me that I'm disabled but too young. They say that I can still find work and be retrained at my age (43). I understand your frustration man. I have a disability doctors visit next week. I wonder what BS that will generate. Best of luck and wishes for you. Stay the course, make it one day at a time, and don't let the depression get the best of you.

tdoyka
03-07-2015, 12:20 AM
i got my disablity(ssi) the first time. i was 39 and i unfortunaly, got a stroke. my right side( both arm and leg) and part of my brain(speech) was affected. now, four years later, i have about 30% of my right side and 25-30% of my speech is good. i got ssi about 6 months or so. i thought that i would never get it because of my age and i would have to get a laywer:-(.
i'm kinda like maryb, i'm just too darn stubborn to give in.
best wishes and let the Lord guide you

MaryB
03-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Keep fighting, SSA peons are told to deny claims until a lawyer takes them to court.

tryNto
03-07-2015, 02:09 PM
DeputyDog25 got his Award > http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?266510-Got-the-Award-Letter-Yesterday-Social-Security-Disability-finally-Approved-Me

km101
03-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Well now you know one! (sorta) I was approved on the initial application. I had letters and medical files from 5 doctors and I guess luck was on my side, because it ONLY took them 8 months after the initial application to approve me.

I heard from an attorney that specializes in SSD claims that I am one of 0.003% that are approved on the first application. I have known people who have waited years and I thought I would be one of them but my Guardian Angel must have been on my shoulder because it went through on the first try. And I had not even hired an attorney! One of the few times in my life that luck has been with me.

MaryB
03-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Meanwhile everyone else goes bankrupt trying to get SSDI...

walkswithsticks
03-08-2015, 01:16 AM
The best lesson that I learned in a Neuro Rehab facility was the attitude of managing your disability, not coping with it. I have had to remind myself of that often.