PDA

View Full Version : Odd, Very Odd

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Almost done mowing my 2ac yard....for the 4th time this month. :-? In Texas...In August! Sure looks purty but I need a weekend off, generally only mow every other weekend since I don't water. A couple of years ago I only mowed twice all summer, none in August. Grass is pretty much done growing by this time most years. Had to replace a $pindle and a set of blade$ yesterday so my mower's getting a little tired of this stuff too!. Too hot to be working so hard outside and dew was too heavy to start until after 9A. Pacing myself so I still have a little more quality time with the trimmer to go ;-) then it's time to kill fireants and put all the tools away.
It's too hot to shoot rifles but I'd at least like to get in a round or two of clay birds or even a little loading or casting. Haven't even fondled a rifle for weeks. :-( Maybe next weekend.

lancem
08-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Glad I moved to SW Texas, no mowing here, always get a laugh when some Yankee moves down and has a mower in the trailer with all of their other stuff :)

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2014, 05:22 PM
I mow a bit more than 5 acres here on my hill. I use a 42" JD for around the buildings and my 72" Kubota 3 point hitch finish mower for everything else. The grass is growing as good as if it were May yet. If I let this ex- feedlot go more than a week or 2 at most I`d be out buying some square bale hay equipment for the yard. Course I GOTTA mow the rifle/pistol range just because it`s there!Robert

shoot-n-lead
08-31-2014, 05:55 PM
I am in south Ga and I have mowed my yard 4 times this year...normally it gets it every week.

It has not been overly dry here until this past 2 weeks...but the grass just hasn't grown this year...very odd, also...not that I am complaining.

buckwheatpaul
08-31-2014, 06:01 PM
In 62 years I dont recall a summer where I was still mowing after mid-July in NE Texas.....living in the country that is......I can remember feeding hay in mid-July.....I feel your pain but we mow about 7 acres......cows and horses do the rest...

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 06:54 PM
My Cub Cadet mower is just barely big enough, IMHO. At 54" it's a big improvement over my old 42" but some days I'd like to have a tractor and a finish mower. So glad the neighbor's grandkids got old enough to mow his place, don't think I would have been able to mow both places this year. Never seen the grass so thick and green here, thought it was all weeds. If I had a fence I'd borrow a few goats from a neighbor, those little ones are a hoot to watch.

doc1876
08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
.I think about my grandmother and chuckle when I hear this. she lived in Wyoming basically on rocks, brought in sod to plant grass that had to be watered every day then had to mow it every week.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 11:27 PM
I'll water my trees for the first few years after transplanting, but never my grass. I watch my neighbor work in his yard every day, mine looks just as nice as his IMHO.

MtGun44
09-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Got a good break in mowing over August this year, pretty normal, but now it is raining (literally
right this minute) and it will be growing again soon. Time to plant new grass if you have problems
with the yard. I have an area where I need to till it and replant, will be doing it soon, Sept is
when the rains come back and temps drop, ideal grass growing time.

Bill

dtknowles
09-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I find mowing the grass as therapeutic as loading ammo. I have a big lot for my subdivision but very small compared to ya'll. I have had to water a little this year as we have not be getting our afternoon thundershowers. Usually I mow once a week, Feb thru Oct with twice a week midsummer if we get the right rain. Just an occasional trim in the winter. Because it was dry last month I skipped a week. I love the smell of fresh cut grass or hay.

Tim

dagger dog
09-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Our summer has been wetter than normal here in the Ohio River valley also, usually every thing has stopped growing by now.

I hate chasing the lawnmower, and humping the weed eater ! I used to mow about 2 acres but I've been down sizing little by little.

I'm going to start using my MF TO35 once I get a bush hog and I can reclaim some of my property that has become over grown. Thinking about getting one of those wheeled weed eaters for trimming.