PDA

View Full Version : Miss me?

multigunner76
08-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Not that anyone did but Thursday a week ago a cow rearranged my F150 front end. Almost a week in hospital with broke ribs and concussion. And here in La. The cow was innocent. It was my fault. Oh well life goes on.

ph4570
08-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear it. Hope you mend well.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 03:45 PM
A trooper did that a year or two a little south and west of me, he didn't make it. Glad you'll be OK. Livestock has the ROW on some roads in TX as well. That law has probably kept a few ranchers from getting sued out of business but loose livestock is responsible for lots of property damage and a few lives. I seem to have problems with hitting wildlife, can only blame myself for that.

00buck
08-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Glad you're OK

starmac
08-31-2014, 05:42 PM
It has been years since I have had busted ribs, sure would hate to have them at this stage of life. I feel for you. I hit a horse in texas once. It seems a gate was open and there was three horses on a bridge, just my dumb luck I hit the one that the owner of the pasture AND the other two horses, had never seen before. lol

Goatwhiskers
08-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Funny how when you hit livestock no one knows who owns it. Technically in a lot of places the owner is liable for damages, but you gotta prove who the owner is. GW

chsparkman
08-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Glad you're OK. I hit a cow in Wyoming 15 years ago. There were fences on both sides of the road so it was not an open range. I was not liable for damage, but neither was the rancher. I was told that Wyoming law set it up that way to protect ranchers.

CastingFool
08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Glad it wasn't worse, but definitely the wrong way to get fresh meat. I got a broken rib in '99, a concussion and 11 stitches on my head, but it was a Chevy truck that hit me.

starmac
08-31-2014, 06:48 PM
I was only a year out of highschool and freshly married when I hit that horse. Thankfully neithor me or my wife was hurt. I had a nearly new 74 ford pickup that was totalled. I mentioned how much damage it did to the cop that responded, and will neve rforget what he said. He said we have been building pickups cheaper and lighter for 20 years or more, and the horses are still built the same. That is true, and compounded several times over these days. lol

multigunner76
08-31-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm going to go Tuesday and take pics if my truck. I'll post them after. I'm sore but I'm ok.

kopperl
08-31-2014, 07:07 PM
How's the cow? VBG!

multigunner76
08-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Cow was pronounced dead at the scene. Family was notified immediately. Odd, the heard didn't have much to say.

C. Latch
08-31-2014, 07:24 PM
A horse hit my wife and I some years ago. Yes, you read that right; we did not hit the beast; it hit us.

Its foal was across the road, and when the owner opened the pasture gate, the poor nag got tunnel vision and sprinted across the road towards its foal........the road was a highway, and the wife and I were headed down it at highway speed. The horse's nose hit the windshield in the upper corner on the wife's side, then her shoulders folded up the wife's side mirror before finally slamming into the rear of the door and denting it in several places.

The horse seemed unharmed and galloped away as if nothing had happened.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Horse can be bad news, if hit just so they have a tendency of coming thru the windshield.

stephenj
08-31-2014, 08:09 PM
When i was 16 less then a week of getting my liscense i hit a deer on my way home from town ... wiped out my car and had to call my father and the highway patrol .

After the cop left my father started m-f ing me and telling me how there was no excuse for hitting a stupid animal in the road .

As we was driving home with him still ranting away he made a left turn onto the home road
And not looking where he was going he drove right square into two horses in the middle of the road

It was worth the black eye when i looked at him and asked ... whats your excuse for hitting two dumb animals in the road .

castalott
08-31-2014, 08:13 PM
My buddy Jeff had a herd of 8 deer run out in front of his newish Suburban. He luckily managed to miss 1 of them. It would have been totaled if not nearly new....

They make new cars...I hope you will be well soon, Dale

starmac
08-31-2014, 08:40 PM
My wifes aunts mother was killed when a horse came through the windshield. The guy that owned the horse actually filed suit against her husband (driver), but a letter from his lawyer squared that away. It was not open range there.
Here livestock is not a problem, but moose is a bigger problem than I have seen livestock anywhere, and them long legs puts them away up in the danger zone.

500MAG
08-31-2014, 08:49 PM
That's udderly horrible! Too bad you couldn't steer clear or just graze her. Have you cowculated the damage yet.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

multigunner76
08-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Lmao.. Not even touching that last one.

WILCO
08-31-2014, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear it. Hope you mend well.

Ditto for me. Hang tough.

labradigger1
09-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Here in wv the owner of the livestock is responsible for the damage. I once hit a dead bull with an 84 ford tempo. Somehow nobody knew who the bull belonged to. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Lab

mold maker
09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
It's been 12-15 yr since I had broken ribs, but I can remember it really hurt. Hang tough, the pain will slowly improve and the black/blue/green/ yellow will fade to normal.
Your wont have any trouble finding out what moves, NOT to make.
Will ins fix your truck or is that on your dime?
Hope your experience is less of a problem, and relief is soon.

alleyoop
09-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Anybody ever hit a hog ? I responded to that call about 15 years ago, being so solid and low to the ground it rowed right under the girls pickup and the truck rolled over. One fatality in that one when the rolled over truck managed to hit an oncoming car

C. Latch
09-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I've never hit a hog. I've lived in places where there were tons of them, off and on for several years, and never witnessed but ONE dead one on the road. They must be smarter than deer in that regard.

Artful
09-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Glad your ok - sorry about your truck - had a high school friend who hit a cow at speed with his GTO it rolled onto the hood and into the windscreen - rich was lucky - just lost the car.

William Yanda
09-01-2014, 10:24 AM
20 years ago, I knew a Dairy farmer who had a cow named T-bird. The story is, she got outside the fence, in the road and was hit by-you guessed it-a Thunderbird. Thunderbird was totaled, T-bird survived, but now with a name instead of a number.

BruceB
09-01-2014, 10:25 AM
"..... it rolled onto the hood and into the windscreen".

I grew up in the moose country of northwestern Ontario. Moose are even longer-legged than cows, and it was very typical to take the legs out with the vehicle and topple the animal into the windshield.

A family we knew was on the way to what is now Thunder Bay on Lake Superior one night, and hit the west end of an east-bound moose. The critter crashed through the windshield butt-first, took a huge dump all over the inside of the car (AND the occupants), climbed out and walked away.

I was told that there was a considerable fight for the shower, after a drafty ride back home.

rondog
09-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Anybody ever hit a hog ? I responded to that call about 15 years ago, being so solid and low to the ground it rowed right under the girls pickup and the truck rolled over. One fatality in that one when the rolled over truck managed to hit an oncoming car

I hit a DEAD one once, laying in the road on a back highway in FL in the middle of the night. Might as well have hit an oak log, impact would have been similar. Sure messed up the front suspension of the van I was driving.

I've had too many close calls in my years of driving, I figure my odds aren't getting any better. The less driving I have to do these days the happier I am.

1Shirt
09-01-2014, 11:16 AM
A friend of mine in Alaska was riding a motorcycle when he hit a cow moose broadside. He had a helmet on, but still suffered serious head and brain injuries. Was in a coma for a number of days, and now has a steel plate in his head. Also had multi broken bones! They found the moose dead on the edge of a slough about 1 half a mile from the impact site===dead. My friend said he was doing close to 50 when he hit, his head and body hit the moose, bike went under.
1Shirt!

swheeler
09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Putting steak on the grill can be dangerous!:) Hope you heal up soon.