PDA

View Full Version : Didja ever put something in a safe place?

Goatwhiskers
08-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Back in '68 I built my first rifle, a Martini in 30/40AI, put an expensive at the time Leupold 4x32 scope on it. Fast forward to sometime in the 80's, just had to have a 'scope with a 40mm objective and variable power, got a Tasco at Wal-Mart and put the Leupold in a safe place for later. Nothing wrong with the Tasco, but would like to put the original back on for old time's sake. Can't find the Leupold anywhere, dagnabbit! Truly in a safe place. Guess it'll turn up at some point when I'm looking for something else. GW

jcwit
08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
I have many thing in safe places, never to be seen again till they settle my estate.

Then the kids will wonder what/why did Dad have this and put it there. LOL

Beagle333
08-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah.... I got several things still in safe places...... somewhere. :neutral:

wallenba
08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
With me, it's the little 'widgets' that have no clearly defined category for storing them. I find a place, stick it in, and never see it again until I'm looking for something else.

The last one that drove me nuts, was a Ruger Old Army nipple wrench. Found it a week later in my T/C parts drawer. What was my logic in putting it there? Should have left it in the box.

Blanco
08-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Things like that always tend to show up in the last place you look.
So ...

bubba.50
08-31-2014, 11:29 AM
a lot of my stuff is safe from me. shoot, I can sit in one spot & lose things.

Bzcraig
08-31-2014, 11:48 AM
If you've moved since safely storing it........oh my!

bdicki
08-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Things like that always tend to show up in the last place you look.
So ...

You know that when you find it you stop looking. Everything is found in the last place you look.

Garyshome
08-31-2014, 12:29 PM
I Just put everything in a "safe" pile!

Goatwhiskers
08-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah, Phineas, I have done that many times. Works great! GW

GOPHER SLAYER
08-31-2014, 01:18 PM
I often put things in a place so safe that the FBI or the CIA couldn't find them. Some things stay in that place so long that when I do find them I wonder where I got them in the first place or when.

Finster101
08-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Yep ! A couple of things.....now when I find them I will have spares.

leeggen
08-31-2014, 04:48 PM
I've got about 20 empty 243 brass that are missing. I know I put them in a safe place so I could reload them, huh, been 4 months and they are still hiding from me. Dang grimlens.
CD

pakrat57
08-31-2014, 05:01 PM
You know that when you find it you stop looking. Everything is found in the last place you look.

There have been many times when I find what I'm looking for in the last possible place to look after I've looked every where else.

aspangler
08-31-2014, 05:07 PM
AHHH! Sound like the muagwa's have been fed after midnight again. Someone feed them regularly around here! LOL Gremlins!

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Several years back I got an itch for making new shelving in my gun room..I carefully unloaded the old shelves and put the "stuff" in boxes so I could put it back on the new shelves when they were completed. I`m still wondering what happened to lots of the "stuff" I took off the old shelves?Robert

Lance Boyle
08-31-2014, 06:52 PM
done that a few times. years ago before I had a safe I hid my few guns around the house before leaving town on vacation.

About a year later my sister came to visit and I opened up the sofa bed and found one I had forgotten about.

How about a 2x missing in action thingy. I had a coast guard approved .mil strobe light that took a special battery. Work said they'd replace the battery. Sure as hell I couldn't find it anymore and forgot about it. Several years later I found it when I moved, laughed and tossed it in a bag or box. See on another gun board an inexpensive adapter to run it on much cheaper AA lithium batteries. Yup, can't find it again.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Should have seen the stuff I found when I was digging the 45acp brass out from under my loading bench awhile back.....not that any of it was lost, of course.:mrgreen: I knew it was there all the time. ;-) Those 100 pieces of 375 Winchester brass made for a nice project. I even found the rifle they were bought for![smilie=w:

Great excuse for a new scope, BTW. Think there's still a $50 rebate on the VX-2.

wv109323
08-31-2014, 07:17 PM
I have a Dillon .45 ACP conversion kit and 4 of the old 450 powder dies in a safe place. Oh and a jig mold in a safe place. I just can't remember what else I have in a safe place.
But on the other hand my "safe places" have surprises. I always wanted a 45-70 rifle. When I finally acquired it I found three sets of 45-70 reloading dies. Also I thought the RCBS 180gn. mold in .30 cal. would be a great mold to have. I was looking for the 150 gn. mold to cast for a new project and found a brand new spanking 180 gn. mold. ?? I am now old enough to believe in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Glad I'm not the only one here who could hide his own Easter eggs.

Bullwolf
08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been thinking of buying a scope for a rifle I've been shooting with iron sights.

While cleaning out the dresser, in the back of one drawer... I found the rifle's original scope. (thoughtfully wrapped up in a towel so as to protect it) Suddenly I remembered that I had removed the scope back in 1992, and put it in a safe place. Guess I don't have to go buy a new rifle scope after all.

- Bullwolf

Bullwolf
08-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Glad I'm not the only one here who could hide his own Easter eggs.

I've found Easter Eggs the kids missed the next season. Dont think I would still eat the candy anymore.

I can go a step further too. I had a old single shot crack barrel 12 gauge kicking around the farm for a long time with a busted stock. I got rid of it, and have always regretted it.

At some point, I went and purchased a new H&R 12 gauge single shot intended as a replacement for the old single shot with the broken stock. Well, I put the H&R in the very back of the safe just behind the door frame and promptly forgot about it. It's been there for a couple of decades. I had been thinking about getting another single shot 12 Gauge, and while looking through the gun safe, I found that H&R I had purchased years ago and had forgotten about.

It was somewhat embarrassing for me. Would have been more embarrassing if I bought a second one before noticing it I think.

- Bullwolf

1Shirt
08-31-2014, 09:45 PM
I lost a spotting scope on one military move, and swore that it had been stolen by the packers or movers. Two years later, getting ready for a transfer move to Alaska, I, for some reason unrolled a shooting mat that I had not used for quite awhile. Scope was inside. Felt kind of foolish.
1Shirt!

texassako
08-31-2014, 10:04 PM
I also have a Martini in .30-40 AI, and I am missing the Tasco scope it came with. Really! I took it off and replaced it with a different one a year ago, but need it now for another rifle. I have been looking everywhere for a few weeks and found all sorts of things I lost or forgot about. Are you sure you got it at Walmart?

MaryB
08-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Haven't lost much gun stuff... but somewhere in the house are 2 memory cards for my tablet that are loaded with books

WILCO
08-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Like everyone else, I have lots of things in safe places. Most times I end up with doubles.

smokeywolf
08-31-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm one of those who doesn't lose things frequently. I tend to put things back in the same place. But,,, I have a wife and children. So,,, the other day I bought a twin pack of retracting tape measures. After my dad passed away I cleaned out his workshop and came home with 7 tape measures. Add those 7 to the 3 I already had and that means my wife and kids have been losing 1 tape measure every 20 months. I should be good now for nearly 3-1/2 more years.

Found a very nice zoomable spotting scope the other day. It was in my wife's box room (shipping boxes). How it got there I don't know. I've been looking for that scope for 2 years.

smokeywolf

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 11:00 PM
My dad and I collected tape measures too. Seems we both liked levels as well. Pretty sure I have at least half a dozen of each now that he's gone.

Wolfer
08-31-2014, 11:36 PM
If anyone runs across my 338-06 please tell me where I hid it. This is the third gun I've hidden too well. The other two eventually turned up. Still looking for this one.

While looking for this gun I've found a lot of other stuff in safe places.

mold maker
09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
If I didn't have to spend all my time, looking for the last thing I had in my hand, I'd have lots more hrs a day to work. Wife says I do it on purpose, to avoid honey dos.
I'm so organized I can't find anything.