PDA

View Full Version : Spent time with bullshop today

bigarm
08-30-2014, 10:40 PM
My wife and I spent several hours with bullshop today. We had a great time and learned a lot. Let me first say that bullshop is a great guy and very hospitable. He's very knowledgeable and is a great teacher. He worked with us casting for several hours and even fed us a wonderful dinner. Got to spend some time talking with his daughters also. Very nice family. Thanks for everything!

RED333
08-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Wish I could bottle the good will firearm people have.
The world would be a much better place.

Bullshop
08-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Well it wasn't all one sided. We all enjoyed the pleasant company too. Now remember rhythm!

monadnock#5
08-31-2014, 04:58 AM
Well it wasn't all one sided. We all enjoyed the pleasant company too. Now remember rhythm!

Now this is an interesting concept. Cast at a fast rhythm at startup. Slow it down when at operating temp, and go into Lawrence Welk mode when overheated. I'll have to organize some play lists in iTunes to test this theory.

44man
08-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Lucky, lucky man! I hope Bullshop cooks as good as he knows guns and served elk steaks---YUM!
Wish I lived closer.

bigarm
08-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Lucky, lucky man! I hope Bullshop cooks as good as he knows guns and served elk steaks---YUM!
Wish I lived closer.
Well, his wife started the dinner, but he did finish it and it was good. Spent a little more time this morning asking questions and picking his brain. Really had a good time and learned a lot. Also, as an added bonus, my wife became excited about casting bullets. How great is that! Bullshop talked about of a couple of alternate routes home and we decided on one traveling south to Idaho and then back north through Idaho to Montana. Got to see some more new country. It did take us a little over 9 hours to get home with some stops. Got to love those "short trips" in Montana!
Thanks, Bullshop!

Bullshop
08-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear you made it home OK. Now we can schedule a class for next year so I can review your progress.

gpidaho
08-31-2014, 11:42 PM
You just gotta LOVE SW Montana into central Idaho we truly live in a beautiful part of this country. GP

Bullshop
09-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Bigarm --- did you happen to notice that the meal was made in the wood cookstove? and the banana bread was entirely made from the 7 year old girl, also made in the wood cookstove

BS Mom -- -Tina

bigarm
09-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes, I noticed the wood cookstove and the 7 year old told us that she made the bread. Now I am confused, I can't remember which one was Hope and which one was Joy. The younger one took a while to warm up, but when she did, she really did! I had fun with her, actually all of them.

starmac
09-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Before Bullshop deserted us up here in Ak, he invited me out a couple of times.Like a dummy I didn't go, until he was packing up to DESERT us. lol
Knowing what I do now, I would probably worn out my welcome. lol
Love them old wood stoves and cast iron cook ware too. My wife bought me an old Jotul wood cookstove we found in washington, that had never had a fire built in it, still hasn't.

Bullshop
09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes, I noticed the wood cookstove and the 7 year old told us that she made the bread. Now I am confused, I can't remember which one was Hope and which one was Joy. The younger one took a while to warm up, but when she did, she really did! I had fun with her, actually all of them.

Hope is the middle one with longer darker hair (well I had the youngest with me - so Hope would have been the second one up_ the longer dark hair...... Joy was the youngest at home with the shorter hair and the one that warmed up to you

Tina

bigarm
09-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Hope is the middle one with longer darker hair (well I had the youngest with me - so Hope would have been the second one up_ the longer dark hair...... Joy was the youngest at home with the shorter hair and the one that warmed up to you

Tina

Thanks! That was what I thought. She wasn't happy with me being around for quite a while, but when she warmed up we had a good time.

Crash_Corrigan
09-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Jotul woodstoves. I had two of them. One I bought new in '72 when the heating oil prices went through the roof. I bought a brand new one and had it installed into my home in Massapequa, NY. The next problem was to obtain firewood. I scouted around and found dead and unwanted trees which I took down and dragged home. Then one day I observed a sewer project where they had used thick oaken boards to secure the edges of the opening in the streets and then when they were done they cut off the boards just about a foot below the level of the asphalt and piles of medium to short heavy oaken boards were banded together and taken away via large trucks. I asked the site foreman where the boards were going and he told me that they were taken to a landfill, a fee was paid to the landfill owners and the wood dumped there.

I scratched my head some and worked out a deal where I would pay a paltry $25 to the foreman and the wood would be delivered to me. Petty soon I had my driveway piled up over 10 feet tall with a huge pile of short to medium length boards. I only had to cut them to length and I was good to go. It worked out so good that I ended up selling excess wood to my neighbors and I ended up have a small business that turned a tidy profit. Alas due to a divorce I left that stove in Massapequa and moved to Vermont via New Jersey. There I had two woodstoves which I fed with dead trees which were on my 10.5 acres and in the neighboring forests. I had no lack of wood available there. Then we moved out West to New Mexico where I rented a nice little house.

One day in the local Pennysaver I found a used Jotul stove for sale. I jumped all over that puppy and I installed into my rental home. There already was a interior fireplace with the required stovepiping thru the roof so the install was a snap. That stove served me well for a few years until I moved to Las Vegas. My little tin trailer does not need a woodstove with the mild winters we have here.

The biggest chore with Jotul stoves is the necessity of cleaning out the creosote every month from the stovepiping. It was a chore that had to be done with some regularity as failing to do so would surely result in a chimney fire. A chimney fire is nothing to make light of. As an insurance adjuster in Vermont I found that they were the major cause of catastrophic fires in homes in that state. Due to the way in which a woodstove works creosote forms when a fire is denied a decent amount of air to support combustion. This moisture laden vapor emits from the smouldering wood and cools and collects on the metal surface. It slowly builds up layer upon layer and eventually one day a hot fire from the stove ignites the layers of creosote. It burns out of control until all the fuel is gone but by that time the temperatures in the chimney will have risen way past the limits of the stovepiping and the fire will spread to the house.

The only way to stop the fire is to use a carbon dioxide extinguisher at the base of the stovepipe. How many homes have a big enuf CO2 extinguisher handy?

Bullshop
09-01-2014, 01:03 PM
We use Red Devil creosote destroyer to prevent the build up. Works good!

Bullshop
09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
So anyway Michael ( I hope I remembered your name right) I wanted to ask you if you think you got what I told you you would get if you spent a day here.
My original post to you was that if you spent a day here you would know how to cast. Did you get that?

bigarm
09-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes I did. Ordered a Lee 20 pound furnace. Had to come up to Kalispell today for root canal so did some shopping. Got a hot plate. Ordered sizing dies. Now to order molds and find lead. Paula is excited also.

waksupi
09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Bigarm, remember the fall gun show is at Kalispell this weekend! Usually pretty good.

bigarm
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Bigarm, remember the fall gun show is at Kalispell this weekend! Usually pretty good.

I saw that when we were up in Kalispell today for the root canal. Thanks for letting me, though as if I hadn't gone up there for the dental, I would not have known. Probably won't have ANY money to buy anything after getting this stuff for casting and powder coating. This is really fun.