PDA

View Full Version : I got a little range time in yesterday.

Harter66
08-30-2014, 08:39 PM
And while I now wear glasses full time I had my 1st reminder about things going wrong . It wasn't a big deal but ........ ;

A buddy called and asked if I wanted to try out his brand new 300WSM . I'm not about to pass up a chance to see if a lefty X bolt Browning is any good . So I grabbed up some of my BP stuff I've had for a couple of months and the ol TC Hawken and off we go.

The WSM shoots fine and despite the 150s advertised at nearly 2300fps in a rifle considerably lighter (by feel we didn't actually weigh it) it was not unpleasant to shoot.

More to the point now. I ran through an 1858 Remmy 36 and an 1873 Colts percussion 44 to get the cobwebs off the trigger controls. I the got out the TC and dumped a load of screened home powder in it and rammed a Lyman Maxi home . All went well except the Maxi landed a foot low at 100 , but that's OK since it was sighted for PRB and FFG . So I loaded another round set up and letter'rip.
That little boo boo is from a cap fragment about the length and width of the cap skirt. First if I weren't cross dominant my right hand wouldn't have had it's thumb up in front of the lock but probably fingers instead. That cut goes all the way down to the ligaments and was neatly cauterized around the lodged copper chunk . While a lefty rifle and parts location would deflect caps away from your face I know I'm not alone in sometimes shooting a righty gun on the left. I also have no doubt that had the fragment gone back instead of forward that the new tattoo would be on my face not my thumb and that the eye would have been cut even through the lid.

The 2nd shot went 3 inches left w / no hammer lift on 130 volume gr measured of the home screened powder where FFg Pyro at 80 gr with the Maxi would half cock the hammer on the 2nd shot. This group though cut short by the cut thumb was closer to what I have expected from rifle. .

Harter66
08-31-2014, 12:11 PM
No atta-boy for a timely reminder ?

Seems like it has to end in tragedy to get noticed any more .......

Artful
08-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Sorry for your boo-boo but I'm not a BP fan - I had one many years ago - kept the round ball mold as I can use in my cartridge guns.
Glad you were not seriously hurt - I had a friend with an underhammer - wonder how it would have done with that issue.

Harter66
08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm not a diehard either . I just never gave any thought how much damage that little tiny bit might do . I do enjoy the revolvers much more .

I had the Hawken out because we have antlerless tags and they're more forgiving and plentiful than trophy bucks.I figured it would be a good time to try a Mulie w/a ML and have a back up in the event that 200yd open ground was the rule of the day.

Calamity Jake
08-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Your not s posed to show the bobo, bobo's aren't pretty, show the groups.

[smilie=2: :kidding:

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Hope you got it cleaned out good. I got a similar cut working on my lawnmower yesterday, glad you at least got some range time in.