PDA

View Full Version : Wideners Security?

Uncle R.
08-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Some few months ago Wideners had issues with their software security. As I was shopping on their web site I saw a notice saying essentially "Don't worry, our security breach has been fixed - order with confidence."
<
I thought "Hmmmm. First I heard of it. But it's fixed? Okay." I placed my order with CC number - and a day or two later I got a phony charge from Brazil on my card. No financial loss - the card company caught it immediately. There was just the hassle of dealing with it, having my account shut down - waiting for a new card. Despite their assurances Widener's system wasn't fixed after all - and I'm left without a lot of confidence in their security.
<
That said - I like Wideners. I've had an account there for years, and I've always had good service and prices, at least until the hacking incident. It's not that I'm angry at them - much larger world-class companies get hacked even with high-powered security experts on the payroll. I just don't want to walk into the hassle again if I can help it.
<
So - at last to the question: Does anyone know if Wideners' problems are finally gone? Any recent experiences with them?
<
Uncle R.

aspangler
08-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Uncle, I live not far from them so I just call ( since the "glitch" ) and go pick it up. Another way would be to use their toll free phone number and place your order that way. Keeps your CC number off the web. Widner's is a good place to get stuff even if they do have trouble keeping powder in stock. I bought some primers and an 8 pound jug of powder about 3 weeks ago but place the order over the phone. Wish I had more money. I'd order more. LOL

1johnlb
08-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I had the same problem several mouths back. Got charged for some mens wear in the U.K.

I placed the order online then 2 days later got a call from Widener's and my banks card company. I use a seperate card for my online purchases just for security reasons and typically only have enough in that account for the purchase. Fishy thing is that the charges were so close together and the bank and wideners calling me too. My info set in their system for 2 days with no problem. Just before they charged me I had the UK charge go through. Looks like a inside problem to me, but what do I know. I've bought from them probably some 15-20 times and only had the one bad esperience. maybe russian rulett with your card.

oldred
08-30-2014, 11:58 AM
I live not far from them so I just call and go pick it up.

I live about 50 miles from there (West) myself and I have wondered if they have a "walk-in" business where items could be purchased in person, apparently items can at least be ordered ahead of time and picked up in person????

BrassMagnet
08-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Many credit cards offer the opportunity to get a single use number for charging things on the internet. Maybe we should all start looking at this option more closely.

troyboy
08-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Just an example of technology.

lancem
08-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to blame them. I had a card charged for a bunch of stuff in South Carolina, I'm in Texas so the card company called me right away. Thing was I hadn't used that card in several months and had to go check the safe to make sure it was in there. It may have been simply chance that the bad charge came so soon after your Widener's charge. I placed an order at around the same time as you are mentioning and had no problems myself and have ordered recently and had no problems.

shooter93
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
It's one of those things that infuriates me. Not blaming Wideners or others but it would be nice if they could catch the hackers and have very stiff penalties. I only have one card and they catch everything but it's a real pain to wait for the new card and change it at places I use auto pay. Hasn't happened to me but twice in all these years but the last time I had material orders all over for some very high end furniture I was asked to make. The companies all called the same day and they did hold my orders till the new card came but it was still a huge pain. Sad thing is I don't think there is a security system anymore that can't be hacked. I may have to go back to phone orders and use money orders like I did for years.

aspangler
08-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I live about 50 miles from there (West) myself and I have wondered if they have a "walk-in" business where items could be purchased in person, apparently items can at least be ordered ahead of time and picked up in person????
Order from them and you can pick up Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3 PM and 5 PM. You can also pay with cash if you pick up.

gsdelong
08-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Just a heads up a lot of companies use the same website you access to place internal orders. Makes it easier for them to track inventory. So most likely giving your credit card over the phone is no more secure than using their website.