PDA

View Full Version : Retired but still no time to cast, reload, and shoot

Maineboy
08-30-2014, 10:29 AM
I've been retired since July 1st but have been as busy as ever. I had planned to have a lot more free time but so far, it hasn't worked out. Maybe this fall...

Ed Barrett
08-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Got make time for the important things, like range time.

jcwit
08-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Learned a long time ago to MAKE time to do the things one enjoys. You never know what the future holds.

oneokie
08-30-2014, 10:45 AM
When you come up with a plan that gives a retiree plenty of free time, patent or copyright it.

WILCO
08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
When you come up with a plan that gives a retiree plenty of free time, patent or copyright it.

That'll be a best seller!

bobby65
08-30-2014, 10:58 AM
What Ed said you have to make time. my dad always seamed like he was doing more after he retired than when he was working. Was a good thing and keep him going for a long time

aspangler
08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the club! I've been retired since June 1 and still can't seem to catch up. I do reload and shoot though. I MAKE time to do that.

Iron Whittler
08-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Makes you wonder how you worked a full time job and got anything else done. Now , there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to do your fun things. I am retired to, so I know where you're coming from. Sometimes you have to make the honey do things take a number and wait while you have fun and play with your " Big Boy's Toys ". You earned it. Iron Whittler

Nicholas
08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Getting older seems to eat up a lot more of my time than it used to. I am not in any rush to stop that, though. Just do what one can and be thankful.

Larry Gibson
08-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Since I retired I'm constantly amazed at how I ever had time to work!

Larry Gibson

kfarm
08-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Retirement is the best job I ever had. If I had known then what I know now I'd have just skipped working altogether and just retire.

mold maker
08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Been retired for over 6 years, and every year I have less time for fun. Between the Drs getting all that medicare will give, and eye and tooth care that never ends, and it's possible, I'm slowing down, I'm further behind than when I worked.
I spent 40+ years working overtime most of the time, and always found time for fun. Now I have 45-60 more hrs a week, and it's gone before I see it.

skeettx
08-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Here is what has helped me
I use the Yahoo calendar to schedule my activities and YES
I schedule shooting, casting, reloading, fishing and other
activities in addition to busy stuff

gray wolf
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Only one way to make it work!!!
You have GOT to cut the time out for yourself.
No one else is going to do it for you.

When I worked I had time and some jingle in my pocket, + I felt pretty good

Now that I don't work I feel like Crappp, have no time and am broke constantly.

So if some one comes up with the answer, I would love to read about it.

montana_charlie
08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
So if some one comes up with the answer, I would love to read about it.
The answer is that, while you have the jingle, you have to do two things:
Put enough of it away to provide you with a useful income after you stop punching the time clock.
And, pay off all of your major bills before you retire.

There is no other answer for the average person, and no chance to go back and do it once you quit.

CM

dtknowles
08-30-2014, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=oneokie;2912454]When you come up with a plan that gives a retiree plenty of free time, patent or copyright it.[/QUOTE}

Skip bathing, house cleaning, just do the fun stuff. You are not going to work so no need for hygiene. It is ok to smell like flux. I once was asked what colone I was wearing and I said I was not wearing any but when I got back to the car I could tell I smelled like Pine from fluxing my pot :-)

I think I am about to be retired again, the project I was working on just got replanned and I don't think my skills fit the new plan. I have a different project I could get on but I don't like that project's type of work. When I was last retired I went back to work because I had too much spare time. The range is only open on weekends and I like making $100 an hour, you can buy a lot of factory ammo at that rate.

To kill time I could reload really really slowly.

Tim

facetious
08-30-2014, 02:51 PM
I have five more years to go before I can retire. I have just about wore out my old calculator trying to work it all out so I can call it quits at 62 ish. I swear the more I read about it the more confusing it gets. All the ways you can take your SS, IRA's and pensions to get the most out of them seams endless but I think I should be able to pull it off before 63.

The one thing that just about drives me nuts is some of the guys that I work with that have more than enough to quite but plan to keep working well past 65 because " thy say that thy non't know what else thy would do." I told the wife that if she ever hears me say that just shoot me. Non't even have to wake me up just shoot me in bed and put me out of my misery!

One more thing that gets me to no end are the ones that don't even try to plan. one guy I work with about the same age as me told me that first you have to retire then you can worry about it!

My wife put it quite well when telling her kid that he needed to start thinking a little farther down the road (he just turned 40) and he told her that the future will take care of it's self. She told him he was right it will take care of it's self but it never said any thing about taking care of you.

Growing up my dad all ways said "that if you are not thinking ten years a head that you are all ready ten years behind."

daengmei
08-30-2014, 03:06 PM
I also have 5 to go and will stop at 62...the body just won't last long enough to have some fun if I don't.

schutzen
08-30-2014, 03:14 PM
I have been retired 7 years and I am constantly amazed that I ever had time to work. The good thing is I do get in more shooting time. My goal for 2014-15 is to reduce my "part-time" farming and concentrate more on casting and reloading.

shooter93
08-30-2014, 07:13 PM
For me at least...I'm past retirement age but I hope I'm still able to do my work at age 100.

smokeywolf
08-30-2014, 07:22 PM
I'll never understand folks who complain of boredom in retirement.

jcwit
08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
I'll never understand folks who complain of boredom in retirement.

For some of us health issues get to the point there's little we can do. I can no longer walk 100 yards to post a target, let alone get back to the firing line.

shooterg
08-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Never tell anybody when you retire. They all think you have time to do THEIR stuff then !

CastingFool
08-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I have been "officially" retired for about a year now. I'm still waiting for that rocking chair time I've got coming. I have a hard time sympathizing with those folks who claim they are bored. I always seem to have something to do. I have to admit, I do spend more time on the "puter", but I also get to hunt many more days now, than what I used to, and pay senior rates for my tags.

skeettx
08-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Hello jcwit
If you were anywhere near Amarillo, Texas we would go shooting and I would set up your targets.

A couple of years ago my friend Roy Dan, lost most use of his legs, so David and I would drive within
50 feet of the duck blind and help/drag, Roy Dan to his bucket in the duck blind. We would have
great hunts.
Hopefully you have friends like that, and Hopefully I will also when I get a few more years older
Mike

MaryB
08-31-2014, 01:09 AM
I am looking at getting some form of a small electric scooter/bike to take to the range to run down to the 300 yard boards, otherwise I make that trip twice and pay for it for a week.

smokeywolf
08-31-2014, 07:59 AM
For some of us health issues get to the point there's little we can do. I can no longer walk 100 yards to post a target, let alone get back to the firing line.

Sounds like Mary may have your solution.

Maybe a line and pulley system with a small solar powered motor. Wish I was closer. Would love to help you set something up. Also, consider just using gongs.

smokeywolf

Maineboy
08-31-2014, 09:01 AM
For sure, the demands put on me by family have increased and consume much of my newly acquired "free time." I've just got to prioritize and say no to some of those projects.

jcwit
08-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Hello jcwit
If you were anywhere near Amarillo, Texas we would go shooting and I would set up your targets.

A couple of years ago my friend Roy Dan, lost most use of his legs, so David and I would drive within
50 feet of the duck blind and help/drag, Roy Dan to his bucket in the duck blind. We would have
great hunts.
Hopefully you have friends like that, and Hopefully I will also when I get a few more years older
Mike

I also am fortunate in that regard.

shooterg
08-31-2014, 11:59 AM
We have a maintence drive down side of our 300 yard range. Folks who have DMV handicap plates/placards are given the gate combo and allowed to drive down and back when the line is safe. Wish we had a "house" golf cart !

Kimber bob
09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Hello jcwit

great hunts.
Mike

I understand and agree 100 % I have been retired now for 6 months, one thing I know that I really enjoy helping others. Yes make time for yourself, but consider others too, even if it means just taking time to hold the door for someone who is moving a little slower

BD
09-01-2014, 10:01 PM
When you retire you'll have a lot more "free time", (That's the time you spend working on things for which you will not be paid). If you're married, expect your free time to double. It's also likely you'll have some more "spare time", (the time you spend changing the flat tire on your truck on the way to enjoy your free time). If you didn't have so much more "free time", you might have time to get you some new tires on that truck, but that would cut
down on your "spare time".

Rufus Krile
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
When asked about boredom now that I've retired, my standard reply is "I wake up every morning with absolutely nothing to do... and by dark I've got about half of it done." Tell 'em to google "retired"...

MaryB
09-02-2014, 12:01 AM
I am going to have to mention the gold cart idea to the range I belong to... find a ratty used one that is gas