PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good day...

selmerfan
08-29-2014, 10:50 PM
I have two great daughters (9&11) that love to shoot, reload (certain steps), hunt, and fish. My older girl has really taken an interest in casting as of late. I'm not comfortable turning her loose with the pot, but she enjoys sorting boolits, lubing, and seating. Today I employed her in the casting operation. I've got a really sweet H&G 10 cavity .38 Spec. 155 gr. SWC BB that drops boolits like rain - but it's heavier than #$)(*@#^~! So today I put safety goggles, leather, a heavy work apron, and long sleeves on her (just like I wear) and let her run the valve on my bottom pour pot. It worked GREAT! I could hold the mold with both hands protected by heavy welding gloves and we poured FAST! We ran out 400 boolits in just over 20 minutes - my 10 lb couldn't keep up. She was pleased as punch at all the shiny boolits that she helped make, then she got on the Lyman 4500 and lubed about half of them before losing interest. Oh well, we had fun together! I'll have both of them out on Monday morning chasing bunnies on the opened armed with their .22 LR Crickett rifles. We've been playing on the dueling tree with 4" disks at 30 yds the last couple of weeks - the bunnies are in trouble. :)

After we got done, I remembered that the manager of a local tire store told me on Wednesday that he had a bucket of wheelweights for me, so we picked that up when we were finished. It's a $10/bucket donation to the petty cash account at the shop - they get homemade bread and pizza every now and then too. It was a pretty good day. :)

DrCaveman
08-29-2014, 11:23 PM
(with all due respect) No wonder ive never met a Minnesota gal who wasnt top-notch, cool, and level headed. It sounds like you guys raise 'em right. Watch out, theyll have some good fellas suiting for them in the years ahead.

Come to think of it, ive never met a fella from minnesota i didnt like. It figures, that's where my dad was born, and many of my ancestors hail from

Sounds like a good day indeed

TXGunNut
08-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Selmerfan. Your good day improved mine immensely. Hold them close while you can, they'll be grown up and gone before you know it.

selmerfan
08-30-2014, 09:34 PM
They helped me with another 800 boolits today and I've loaded 850 rounds of .38 Special with them in the last couple of days. Great helpers speed the process - they do everything except the powder drop. :grin: