PDA

View Full Version : Have you used this Brinell hardness tester

adanymous
08-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Anybody tried this one? Is it worth the price of admission?
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml

Mike W1
08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Bought mine when he was still in Arizona. I've used it a lot over the years but being I only do handgun rounds anymore and they're not as fussy as rifle I probably wouldn't fork out that much now for one. It works just fine if you follow his directions closely. Not that it isn't easy to use, just there's a couple of things to pay attention to. I still use it and it's not for sale!

Dale53
08-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I've had one for years and it would be my first choice if I were buying one today. It's very easy to read and use. It is completely reliable and repeatable.

FWIW
Dale53

Yodogsandman
08-30-2014, 01:59 AM
If I ever decide I want one, that's the one! No graphs or charts or mathematics or conversions or measuring or peeking into a magnifier! It simply reads the BHN.

OuchHot!
08-30-2014, 03:12 PM
It has a warm spot in the hearts of many as it was the first direct readout unit (that I could afford). It does require a sample be reduced in size to fit the tester. I like the cabin tree and have had good success with the pencil method as well. I cannot criticize anything lbt does as Veral has been a major asset to our craft.

Bent Ramrod
08-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I have one. It gives the right readings for pure lead and linotype, and is close enough to the readings from the SAECO I have so I am confident in the readings of both.

Sometimes with a pointy boolit you have to file or saw the end off to give a flat spot for the needle to rest on, but that's the only extra work it may require.